Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robberies in Waterford

Options
  • 06-04-2012 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

Gardai in Waterford City are searching for a man who threatened staff in a shop with a large kitchen knife in a robbery yesterday afternoon.Between 4 and 4.30pm the man entered the Freshways Store in Cleaboy and demanded money.He left with a small amount of cash. He was followed by the manager and another member of staffwho managed to trip him up in De Vinci Avenue. The culprit then threatened the staff member by holding a knife to his face. Some of the cash was recovered and the staff did not follow him any further. No injuries were reported. The man was was wearing a Grey hoodie and grey tracksuit bottoms. His face was covered.

Between 12.40 and 12.55 am early this morning a man entered a house at St. Catherines Grange and pepper sprayed one of the occupants. Nothing was taken.

Between 7.45am and 6.30pm yesterday a house was broken into in St Johns Park, Waterford Entry was gained through a back bedroom window and a small amount of cash was taken.

Between 9am on Tuesday last and 1pm yesterday a house at Briot Avenue was broken into and ransacked.It's not known what is missing as some of the students are still away on Easter Holidays

If anyone has information they are asked to contact Waterford Garda Station on 051-305300.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Not worth following a robber .......It can go horribly wrong .

Its frightening to hear of all this happening within a few days .

We all think/believe it won't happen to us ...But you just cannot be careful enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Its frightening to hear of all this happening within a few days .

We all think/believe it won't happen to us ...But you just cannot be careful enough.

God no if it ever happened me I would hand it over and just get away from there. Our team leader was held up before Xmas at the bank he had just dropped money to the nightsafe, the robber got €10 off him !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

That is very true indeed but unfortunately the less a robber is tackled the more they and newbies will believe they can get away with it.

More garda stations to close next year.. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not in Waterford, there only being one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Attempted break in next to my Mams house last week at 9.30 in the morning, two little ****s with hoodies trying to pry the neighbours window with screwdrivers.

They were seen by another neighbour who let a roar out of him and the scattered.

My friends house was completely ransacked two weeks ago too, absolutely everything taken down to the buggy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

mike65 wrote: »
    Not in Waterford, there only being one.

we have more then 1 btw

Faq wrote: »
    we have more then 1 btw

Where is the other one? I only know of the one in Ballybricken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Ferrybank, Tramore, Ardmore, kill, Kilmacthomas, Leamybrien and a few more

Faq wrote: »
    Ferrybank, Tramore, Ardmore, kill, Kilmacthomas, Leamybrien and a few more

Ah your talking about the county. This is the city though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I think (and hope) it will get to the stage where people are prepared and willing to defend themselves, and there will be a high-profile case where a burglar is killed, and that will hopefully turn the tables on these *****.

• Advertisement

Below are some examples of when it goes horribly wrong :
    The killing of a post office worker in an armed robbery in Kilkenny has been condemned as cowardly and senseless.

The victim, named locally as Alan Cunniffe, was shot in the stomach as he tackled a lone gunman who robbed his family business in the city centre. The raid took place in the busy John's Green post office on Wolfe Tone Street shortly after 12.10pm yesterday.
    O'Callaghan entered the TSB bank in New Ross armed with a sawn-off shot gun. There he confronted Mrs Walsh and discharged his gun.
    She was taken to Waterford Regional Hospital where she was put on a life support machine. Three days after the shooting, a consultant pronounced her brain-stem dead. She suffered irreversible damage to vital functions of the brain.
    The judge said the defence did not dispute that death was caused by gun shot wounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Below are some examples of when it goes horribly wrong :

As opposed to pleasantly well?

All crimes of this nature are wrong from the outset. Nobody should be anywhere near your home or business with a loaded gun. (With obvious acceptions of course.)

I'm not trying to be smart with you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭watermark

danjo-xx wrote: »
    That is very true indeed but unfortunately the less a robber is tackled the more they and newbies will believe they can get away with it.

More garda stations to close next year.. :eek:

i used to work in the supermarket that was robbed and for months a gang of young lad, my age at the time (16-17) would come in lookin to buy beer etc. I would ask for I.D. and refuse. one day about 10 more of them than usual came in, took up 6-8 cans each and walked towards the counter, then legged it out the door. Garda came and we told them we knew their faces but not their names (genuinely didnt). The next day the same lads were in the shop buyin sweets and other stuff. Shud have locked them in the big container we had out the back and left em there or something more physically damaging :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I think (and hope) it will get to the stage where people are prepared and willing to defend themselves, and there will be a high-profile case where a burglar is killed, and that will hopefully turn the tables on these *****.

I think that the law was changed in the last few months or so whereby homeowners are legally entitled to defend themselves in their own homes without fear of being sued by the burglars for injury (as has happened in the past). I remember reading it online somewhere, may have been in one of the online newspapers, just can't think where.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

many years ago my wife and I lived in a little do-er-upper off Ballybricken. One night, a scumbag climbed over the back wall, broke in and robbed a bunch of things. I was working at the time so didn't find out till around 11pm. Gardai were contacted. They called to the house and noticed that we'd whitewashed the back wall earlier the same day. They just drove around for an hour until they saw a guy with a white paint stripe down his back. Caught. We got most of the stuff back but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Do people answer their doors late at night anymore. I was sitting watching tv at about 11 Wednesday night and the door bell rang and i answered. A dodgy looking man was standing their and asked me did a certain name live here so i said no wrong house. He just continued stare at me and i told him again wrong house and then he moved to the side and looked into the house and i just shut the door. I looked out and he got into a car with a women and drove off a minute later. He looked dodgy maybe he was trying to buy drugs and had the wrong house or something but i was freaked out. The way things are going i think its probably better off not answering the door that late. I have heard about people calling sussing out a house before trying to rob it. Has anybody else experienced anything like this it really is scary the way the town has gone recently.

Who was he looking for :) ^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Moonmad

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Do people answer their doors late at night anymore. I was sitting watching tv at about 11 Wednesday night and the door bell rang and i answered. A dodgy looking man was standing their and asked me did a certain name live here so i said no wrong house. He just continued stare at me and i told him again wrong house and then he moved to the side and looked into the house and i just shut the door. I looked out and he got into a car with a women and drove off a minute later. He looked dodgy maybe he was trying to buy drugs and had the wrong house or something but i was freaked out. The way things are going i think its probably better off not answering the door that late. I have heard about people calling sussing out a house before trying to rob it. Has anybody else experienced anything like this it really is scary the way the town has gone recently.

Same thing happened to me about a month ago.
    I had to push the door closed as he was trying to walk in and said he was looking for some guy.
    Didn't sleep right for days

kryogen wrote: »
    Who was he looking for :) ^^^^^^

Ah just clicked with me afterwards the first name is somebody who lives near to me that would be known for being involved in drugs. So presume he got the house mixed up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Ah just clicked with me afterwards the first name is somebody who lives near to me that would be known for being involved in drugs. So presume he got the house mixed up.

Probably not great that the "customers" are getting your houses mixed up, i just hope for your sake that the Guards don't make the same mistake when the time comes to get a search going on a house :)

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    Probably not great that the "customers" are getting your houses mixed up, i just hope for your sake that the Guards don't make the same mistake when the time comes to get a search going on a house :)

They can search my house all they want. Ah surely he found out the right house eventually. Maybe it wasnt drugs they way he moved over looking into the house but he never came back. The dog howling in the kictchen might have helped.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I wasn't suggesting they would find anything in your house, I just know i'd be majorly pissed if my house was being confused with someone elses...

I'm sure it probably was just an isolated incident, and the dog probably didn't impress him. :D

I find the whiter the dogs teeth, the more afraid the undesirables are of said dog. :)

I wasn't suggesting they would find anything in your house, I just know i'd be majorly pissed if my house was being confused with someone elses...

I'm sure it probably was just an isolated incident, and the dog probably didn't impress him. :D

I find the whiter the dogs teeth, the more afraid the undesirables are of said dog. :)

Ha ya the dog is only small but howls like a werewolf so he is handy to have around to scare people off. Hopefully its an isolated incident just dont know with the way this town is gone. Might get a peep hole. Wont be answerin the door late at night again when wouldnt be expecting a caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

happened to me in 2008 but it was bout 2 in the mornin. yer man was outa his head mumblin lookin for a name i couldnt even hear. i told em a few times he had d wrong place n he mumbles gissa fag n i closed the door on em. he busted in the window on the door n scattered then. rang the shades straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Are you a salesperson for Pedigree Chum dentastix? :D

I'll say it again, I look forward to the day when one of these scumbags gets what coming to him when he breaks into someone's house. I don't wish it to happen but it's inevitable. Putting one of these vermin to death will help things.

I'm not living in Ireland at the moment, been in Brussels the last while, had 2 Arabs break into my old house when I was living there, bastards came into my bedroom and all. I chased them out the front door in my underwear, although to be honest I wasn't sure if it was a burglary or not while it was happening. Thankfully, no one was injured and nothing was taken.

Heres a thread in Carlow , with similarities .

Its best be very vigilant . .....Stranger knocked on our door last night around 8pm .
    We just did not answer :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056594843

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Some people really are just scummy dicks
    Robbery forces cancellation of Waterford theatre production
    Gardai in Waterford are investigating the theft of a laptop which led to the cancellation of last night's production of the musical Michael Collins. Between 12 p.m and 12.30 yesterday afternoon someone entered the recording booth of the Theatre Royal on the Mall.They took a Mac Pro silver laptop which contained all programming for lights and sound for last night's show. Gardai suspect that a man and a woman were involved, with the woman acting as a lookout. The show's director Bryan Flynn said they had no option but to cancel last night's performance.He says those due to attend ast night were very understanding.The show resumes tonight.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/148487.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

^ for sure. At the same time, the theatre and those responsible for the laptop were pretty sloppy on security if they left their recording booth unattended/unlocked. Any of us who work with laptops in public places know never to leave one unattended. Still, the scumbags who stole it deserve no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I suppose they stole the show........I'll get me coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I suppose they stole the show........I'll get me coat

35c7m9.jpg
    :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement