Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robberies in Waterford

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Motivator

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd be curious how any eircom engineer can claim this,

if you have a cell signal blocker then it can without a doubt be affected, in the same way as your mobile wouldn't work in proximity to a cell signal blocker.

The only way it woudn't be affected is if the alarm was using an actual PSTN line,

I'm not up to speed with any of this technology & I'm certainly not familiar with a PTSN line. I'd say he knows this information because its his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Faq wrote: »
    where i work they have gsm blockers so no one can use phones at work

You don't work in North Korea by any chance do you ?

Seriously though, what if the land line system crashed and someone needed to contact the emergency services because of a fire or injury ?

Some companies are paranoid about how much time is lost on staff making personal phone calls, which is understandable. But they should manage the situation not control it.

It's too late after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Motivator wrote: »
    Any new alarm, by new alarm I mean one that has been installed in the last 10 years, can't be tampered with by these scanners. Older alarms can be tampered with as the signals aren't used to newer technology.

I know this because I had my phone watch serviced in March & the Eircom technician told be all about it.

Your Eircom Engineer? do you think your Eircom phone watch engineer would A. Tell you that they can be blocked which they can by GSM blockers and
    B. have a job by the end of the week if he told you the system he was servicing could be blocked by GSM blockers, this thread is starting to give too much exposure to this and if anybody wants to argue with me by PM i would be happy to do so, its upto you if you feel happy with this system, i have worked in the Alarm industry for a long time and i have Family running business in Alarms for a long time and i know that GSM blockers are being used on any wire free systems, and its not just GSM blockers that can be used to block a signal there are other very primative forms to block a signal which i wont expose here.

Eastern european gangs have been highlighted in the article that was posted here or on another thread in the IRISH INDEPENDANT have been trianed on national service to a very high level and are thought to be involved heavily with the importation and sale of these latest blockers.

To the other person who says their company has a GSM blocker to block their calls it is highly ilegal as somebody already pointed out and you should contact comreg. what if someone is having a heart attack in the vacinity and they want to ring an ambulance on their mobile? its against the law and i would report them if i were you.

Your Eircom Engineer? do you think your Eircom phone watch engineer would A. Tell you that they can be blocked which they can by GSM blockers and
    B. have a job by the end of the week if he told you the system he was servicing could be blocked by GSM blockers, this thread is starting to give too much exposure to this and if anybody wants to argue with me by PM i would be happy to do so, its upto you if you feel happy with this system, i have worked in the Alarm industry for a long time and i have Family running business in Alarms for a long time and i know that GSM blockers are being used on any wire free systems, and its not just GSM blockers that can be used to block a signal there are other very primative forms to block a signal which i wont expose here.

Eastern european gangs have been highlighted in the article that was posted here or on another thread in the IRISH INDEPENDANT have been trianed on national service to a very high level and are thought to be involved heavily with the importation and sale of these latest blockers.

To the other person who says their company has a GSM blocker to block their calls it is highly ilegal as somebody already pointed out and you should contact comreg. what if someone is having a heart attack in the vacinity and they want to ring an ambulance on their mobile? its against the law and i would report them if i were you.

I asked him about the scrambling device & asked if I should update my Eircom box & he said it would be a waste of money as my alarm system is relatively up to date. The same guy has fitted my alarm & services it regularly over the years. You seem to think he's a liar? Any reason as to why you think he's a liar?

I asked him about the scrambling device & asked if I should update my Eircom box & he said it would be a waste of money as my alarm system is relatively up to date. The same guy has fitted my alarm & services it regularly over the years. You seem to think he's a liar? Any reason as to why you think he's a liar?

This is Ireland, how many times have you heard ah sure youll be grand, I have worked in this industry for a long time and i have family still working running a hugely successful alarm company.

Do you think the person who installed your system is going to tell you that your system is flawed? no joe soap working for a huge alarm company is going to give his personal opinion or private opinion and jeopardise his job. Get an indiependant opinion, read the link that was posted here in the Irish Times. There were other posters on here that wrote the same, if you want to PM me i can give you more info but i would be reluctant to release sensitive info on this board as it is giving this too much exposure.

• Advertisement

This is Ireland, how many times have you heard ah sure youll be grand, I have worked in this industry for a long time and i have family still working running a hugely successful alarm company.

Do you think the person who installed your system is going to tell you that your system is flawed? no joe soap working for a huge alarm company is going to give his personal opinion or private opinion and jeopardise his job. Get an indiependant opinion, read the link that was posted here in the Irish Times. There were other posters on here that wrote the same, if you want to PM me i can give you more info but i would be reluctant to release sensitive info on this board as it is giving this too much exposure.

I think if he was doing his job 100% he'd be pushing me to update my alarm system & not tell me that my current system is perfectly fine.

I think if he was doing his job 100% he'd be pushing me to update my alarm system & not tell me that my current system is perfectly fine.

Read your PM's and the several links i showed you about GSM blockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

The man speaks the truth. Eircom only sell a false sense of security.

IMO theres no substitute for being able to take out a smartphone and check every corner of your house through HD cameras live.

Media999 wrote: »
    The man speaks the truth. Eircom only sell a false sense of security.

IMO theres no substitute for being able to take out a smartphone and check every corner of your house through HD cameras live.

Eircom sell a false sense of security? This has to be the most idiotic thing ive ever heard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Eircom sell a false sense of security? This has to be the most idiotic thing ive ever heard.

I totally disagree. Its exactly what they sell.

• Advertisement

Wow shock horror! news flash a business lies to customers! wow thats never happened before.

Imagine if Eircom released a statement today to say their security is flawed, do you think that would make good business sense.

Do what i told you! either read the fine print of your contract where they dont accept liabliltiy for certain things like GSM blockers or ring customer services and ask them can they guarantee you that one of the most sophisticated pieces of machinery wont stop your sytem! They wont be able to guarantee it 100 percent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I would say if anyone has any concerns about this product specifically then contact the alarm company, outside of that specific discussion about this stuff (which company is best, are the products vulnerable to stuff etc) are more suited to the Home Security Systems forum then the Waterford forum.

Really yeah. Tell that to the countless people who ring their call centres asking why the alarm didnt stop their house being broken into and get fobbed off with excuses and pre written BS scripts.

Also enlighten us as to what makes you such an expert in Alarm technology and what gives you such confidence in Eircom systems?

Really yeah. Tell that to the countless people who ring their call centres asking why the alarm didnt stop their house being broken into and get fobbed off with excuses and pre written BS scripts.

Also enlighten us as to what makes you such an expert in Alarm technology and what gives you such confidence in Eircom systems?

I think someone knows someone or maybe even works for Eircom. I posted two PM links proving how the system can be bypassed and still insists its fine.

Shes relying on someone elses word

Not much else to discuss so.

If Eircom spent less on marketing and more on R&D they might be better systems.

Their wireless routers are also easy to get passwords for because they used a simple algorithm on the SSIDs and WEP keys, using this tool. http://www.hackers.ie/tools/eirwep/index.php.

Any doubters want to give them a call and see what BS script excuse they tell you for that?

Not much else to discuss so.

If Eircom spent less on marketing and more on R&D they might be better systems.

Their wireless routers are also easy to get passwords for because they used a simple algorithm on the SSIDs and WEP keys, using this tool. http://www.hackers.ie/tools/eirwep/index.php.

Any doubters want to give them a call and see what BS script excuse they tell you for that?

Im sure if they read the fine print in their contracts they will see it in print

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lads, I'd say take this to the Home Security Systems forum if you have concerns about the eircom alarm system, in addition its worth noting that eircom homewatch is no longer owned by Eircom as they accepted an offer from another company to buy it.

If you have a concern about their routers then take that to the relevant forum also, thanks

thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement