Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robberies in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Signs like this should be nationwide :
    CopyofDSCN4175.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

CopyofDSCN4175.jpg

nah not worth a curse............... but signs like this..........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6h-C0axERBo6AClrtbx_nF-A_krB6MDglbhumkT_AUn17bA3SKw

US_PALM__Takedown_Breakdown_AK_AK-47_AKM_Rifle_Carbine_TangoDown_SHOT_Show_2012_DefenseReview.com_DR_4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

CopyofDSCN4175.jpg
    haha only saw this sign today coming back from paintballing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

It seems like there was a spate of robberies this past week in and around Waterford. My friends house was broken into yesterday (between 9am -1.00pm). He lives in Avondale.

They stole the usual items ( Laptop, small TV, Jewellery). The guards came out 1h30m later and forensics said no fingerprints because of gloves. He did say they had small hands and footprints.

The guards also said they got a 10yr old in a house in Abbey Park last week. He had a list of over 150 addresses with details (movements, car type, alarm on the house, etc)

It's crazy the amount of robberies happening of late. It shows we all have to be more vigilant when it comes to house security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/crackdown-on-crime-pays-off-as-number-of-assaults-down-87pc-3154079.html

According to this since a crackdown on travelling gangs started back in March burglaries are down 25%. Does not feel like its feeding through to Waterford as keep hearing about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Should we not like make this a sticky thread and use it as a tracker for activity of like break ins and Anti Social behaviour so people know what direction or area a crime wave is moving in?

It seems the burglars are getting more sophisticated with the use of GSM Jammers.

http://www.alarmcontrol24.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/click-here.pdf
    THIS is the device – no bigger than a packet of cigarettes – that’s helping to fuel an epidemic of burglaries. Thieves are buying the hi-tech jamming devices – capable of disabling house alarms – for just €20 on the internet.

Security experts warned today that the ‘jammers’ make it extremely easy to carry out house break-ins. Gardai and communities are on high alert after it emerged the jammers, disguised as cigarette boxes, are now readily accessible. Officers are grappling to deal with the advanced technology that sources
    say is becoming more and more popular among thieves.

The jammer has the power to intercept alarm signals – making them completely useless. One jamming device seized by gardai had the power to block monitored alarm systems throughout an entire estate. The Herald can reveal that the technology is available across the internet for as little as €20.
    One website is selling devices which it says can block “all GPS” from a “30-feet radius”. One of the site's “best-selling” jamming device is disguised in a Marlboro red cigarette pack. It is on sale for around €45.

Security experts have warned that the situation is about to worsen, with enterprising burglars buying the technology for as little as €50 from internet
    vendors. Derek Mooney, managing director of Alarm Control 24, said today that any GSM alarm system could be rendered useless by jammers.
    He told the Herald: “GSM-based systems can be made completely useless by thieves that have equipped themselves with this technology. That
    means that 90pc of alarms in Ireland can be targeted in this way. These devices can be purchased online from as little as €20 and we believe the purchase
    of them is on the rise.” Mr Mooney, whose company has developed a long-range radio-based alarm monitoring system to counter these jamming devices, said that as a result of current legislation, many State buildings are vulnerable to the GSM jammers.

He told the Herald: “Legislation prescribes the use of fundamentally flawed GSM systems and must be changed to ensure that State buildings are adequately protected.” It was revealed on Monday that gardai have significantly increased their efforts in a bid to deal with a burglary “epidemic” that has hit the city
    in recent months. In the capital, detectives have identified 60 men who are responsible for the bulk of break-ins. In the past 10 days, 30 of them have
    been arrested and many are already before the courts, in Operation Acer. Nationwide, around 300 burglars are being targeted by gardai with Operation
    Fiacla.

Should we not like make this a sticky thread and use it as a tracker for activity of like break ins and Anti Social behaviour so people know what direction or area a crime wave is moving in?

Yeah it would be a good idea alright. Lets see what the mods & others say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It seems the burglars are getting more sophisticated with the use of GSM Jammers.

http://www.alarmcontrol24.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/click-here.pdf

And now thanks to people putting it all over the internet for everyone to see means more criminals will be aware. Need to look into changing the alarm system!

• Advertisement

And now thanks to people putting it all over the internet for everyone to see means more criminals will be aware.

I think its more important to highlight the facts to US the general public. I'm sure the criminals dont need to see a post on the internet to make them aware of whats out there. They know all about these things, don't be fooled to think they don't.
    Need to look into changing the alarm system!

I made enquiries myself about this. There is a thread here about the GSM problem.
    I spoke to the guy from that company featured in the article I linked. He said they can replace the GSM box in my phone watch system for around €350 and existing sensors, door sensors will work fine with new system.

I just think the more people are aware of the potential problems out there the better we all will be. Its the same as if someone sees something strange in their neighbourhood, call the guards. Don't say ohh I was going to call them after the event has happened. It could be your house next and I'm sure you would want your neighbour to look out for you.
    Thats my 2 cents.

I think the sticky would be a good idea. We could report areas where breakins have hapened, possible car sightings, etc. It is going to come to a point where the public will take matters into their own hands sooner rather than later.

If we put up a sticky I'm sure ppl will post their info on it.
    Sticky Please !!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

The guards also said they got a 10yr old in a house in Abbey Park last week. He had a list of over 150 addresses with details (movements, car type, alarm on the house, etc)

150 Addresses WTF, Are the guards notifing the people whose houses were on the list I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

One of the lads i work with was telling me a chap knocked on his door on Hennessy's rd on Wednesday. The missus answered the door and he said he was doing work on the house next door, that could he put his ladder in their garden while he done the work. He then spotted a patch of plaster missing from beside the door and said he would fix if for €10. She told him no it was ok and then he said he would do it for free.
    He went off but a while later the neighbours, an elderly couple (husband isn't well at all), was talking to his wife and asked her was she getting some work done to the house. She replied no but the elderly lady said that a chap called to her earlier on and asked could he put his ladder in her garden as he was working next door and she said he could, not knowing any different. They soon copped on it was a scam.
    Your man called back about an hour afterwards in a van and then another van pulled up aswell. He was quickly told where to go and jumped back in the van and went off.
    I could only imagine bad things happening to the elderly couple if your man had of got his way. They would of stood no chance against them.
    Seems to me they were casing out the houses, probably trying to jam open an upsatirs window and call back later on. Or even gain entry thru open window there and then.
    Horrible dirty b#astards if you ask me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

cococoady wrote: »
    One of the lads i work with was telling me a chap knocked on his door on Hennessy's rd on Wednesday. The missus answered the door and he said he was doing work on the house next door, that could he put his ladder in their garden while he done the work. He then spotted a patch of plaster missing from beside the door and said he would fix if for €10. She told him no it was ok and then he said he would do it for free.
    He went off but a while later the neighbours, an elderly couple (husband isn't well at all), was talking to his wife and asked her was she getting some work done to the house. She replied no but the elderly lady said that a chap called to her earlier on and asked could he put his ladder in her garden as he was working next door and she said he could, not knowing any different. They soon copped on it was a scam.
    Your man called back about an hour afterwards in a van and then another van pulled up aswell. He was quickly told where to go and jumped back in the van and went off.
    I could only imagine bad things happening to the elderly couple if your man had of got his way. They would of stood no chance against them.
    Seems to me they were casing out the houses, probably trying to jam open an upsatirs window and call back later on. Or even gain entry thru open window there and then.
    Horrible dirty b#astards if you ask me :mad:
    Get reg of any suspicious vehicle and if can video it take time date and report it even though nothing will probably be done about it. CCTV on your house is the way to go these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

having a couple of rottweilers in your house is the way to go!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

having a couple of rottweilers in your house is the way to go!!!

Iv a rottweiler and german shepard in my back yard, id love to see one of them thieving bastards get in, the dogs would have dinner sorted for a week. :D

I did read somewhere one guy had German Shepard and the fcukers used a taser on the dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I did read somewhere one guy had German Shepard and the fcukers used a taser on the dog :(

They also poison the dogs a couple of days before they want to rob the place. Throwing a piece of riddled meat over a gate to put the dogs outta action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Nasty bastards.

I've posted before about a work colleague who's friend popped out to collect his takeaway and when he got back his doberman pincher was gasping on the floor. The vet retrieved 4 fingers from the dog's throat. This was when I lived in London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

deisemum wrote: »
    Nasty bastards.

I've posted before about a work colleague who's friend popped out to collect his takeaway and when he got back his doberman pincher was gasping on the floor. The vet retrieved 4 fingers from the dog's throat. This was when I lived in London.

Human fingers like? not fish fingers? Thats mental.

Yep human fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Heard another story. A pregnant women with a child asking to use your toilet. When inside people will then try get in the back.
    sounds horrible but don't leave anyone in your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

I don't think I'll ever open the door to anyone again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I don't think I'll ever open the door to anyone again!!

Even if kids knock looking for sponsorship money for charity walk , its best to lock the door while you go grab your purse .

Or even better , don't open the door at all .

If you have a small window I'd use it .

These burglars are getting cleverer and could be even reading this thread for tips .

Tasers , jammers , poison .......

The recent change in legislation doesn't seem to have scared them at all

Maybe I should leave out bloodied axe on display ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The recent change in legislation doesn't seem to have scared them at all
    Why would it? No room in prisons, no hard punishments, all multiple convictions or "known to gardai".
    I can think of at least 20/30 people who if gone the city would be a much better place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

cococoady wrote: »
    They also poison the dogs a couple of days before they want to rob the place. Throwing a piece of riddled meat over a gate to put the dogs outta action.

The trick here is to train the dog as a pup to only eat food on command. I've literally left huge steaks and cooked chickens in front of my lads for hours, and they're never touched. Even when they get their food in their bowls, they must sit and wait until they're given permission to eat.

Might seem extreme, but I've seen good dogs poisoned before and this is a necessary step.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

hardybuck wrote: »
    The trick here is to train the dog as a pup to only eat food on command. I've literally left huge steaks and cooked chickens in front of my lads for hours, and they're never touched. Even when they get their food in their bowls, they must sit and wait until they're given permission to eat.

Might seem extreme, but I've seen good dogs poisoned before and this is a necessary step.
    my dog inhales any food that goes near him. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

hardybuck wrote: »

Yup there is nothing like a well trained dog, it takes time and patience but its well worth it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement