Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robberies in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

mozattack wrote: »
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    But its not illegal to protect you property other ways and means to do it...

Unfortunately, and somewhat fortunately, pepper spray, CS Gas, or any other spray like it is 100% illegal and will get you a conviction under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act. It's right up there with using an actual gun. Even in your own house, it's illegal to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

As long as the camera is only capturing your own property and not next door or a public place you're fine. Policeman told me this when we were having problems with neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Unfortunately, and somewhat fortunately, pepper spray, CS Gas, or any other spray like it is 100% illegal and will get you a conviction under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act. It's right up there with using an actual gun. Even in your own house, it's illegal to have it.
    I remember getting a taxi before, and the driver told me that he had a can of fly spray down beside his chair in case any passenger got violent. Perfectly legal to have, and will blind an attacker for enough time for him to escape the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Perfectly legal to have
    Reasonable to have but not legal. See the article below:
    hmhFaHw.jpg

Perfectly legal to have, and will blind an attacker for enough time for him to escape the situation.

As beazee said, it's not perfectly legal. Yes, it's useful, but completely illegal. And it's not just having it that's the problem. Let's say that taxi driver used it. Firstly, he'd be convicted for an offensive weapon under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, a very serious offence with a possible 5 year jail sentence. Then, if the person he sprayed got out of the car and got hit by another car and killed because he couldn't see, the taxi driver would be liable for that too, and would get a manslaughter charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Pepper spray it is... beware intruders.

Feck that, I dont fancy going toe to toe with someone (using a bat or anything). I think pepper spray is the lesser of two evils. Intention would be to go to the top of the stairs and if they walk towards, spraaaaaaaaaaaay.

Surely self-defence.

I am not the type to go downstairs to check as I can do that from upstairs by turning the alarm back on.

If they are intending to go upstairs, it means business so I'd be grateful for the spray then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I had a burglary in an office last night the dead lock beat him so he smashed the window and climbed through it left about a pint of blood at the scene.
    I lol ed when I saw it.

Like my aunt in the UK years back had a staffie and some silly bugger broke in. Staffies jaws lock when they bite and the guy left a chunk of flesh as he tried to retreat through the window.

Pepper spray it is... beware intruders.

Feck that, I dont fancy going toe to toe with someone (using a bat or anything). I think pepper spray is the lesser of two evils. Intention would be to go to the top of the stairs and if they walk towards, spraaaaaaaaaaaay.

Surely self-defence.

I am not the type to go downstairs to check as I can do that from upstairs by turning the alarm back on.

If they are intending to go upstairs, it means business so I'd be grateful for the spray then.

It would be self defence, but it's still illegal to have it. You would get away with using a hurley as that's something that's not illegal to have, but spray is illegal regardless. You would be prosecuted for having it and using it, even if in self defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

beazee wrote: »
    Reasonable to have but not legal. See the article below:
    hmhFaHw.jpg

I cant believe the stupidity of the law! I would love to see the judge working a night time shift after about 12 hours and then carrying drunks who attack you and see how he reacts! if he had a gun im sure hed use it! Is there word of what happened to the aggressors?

• Advertisement

I cant believe the stupidity of the law! I would love to see the judge working a night time shift after about 12 hours and then carrying drunks who attack you and see how he reacts! if he had a gun im sure hed use it! Is there word of what happened to the aggressors?

Slightly OT, but to the best of my knowledge you can't have the "Black Cabs" in Ireland. Which is scandalous imo. They are the safest taxis out there, you can't get out unless the driver wants you do, and you can't attack the driver either. Baffles the mind why they're not over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

spookwoman wrote: »
    Like my aunt in the UK years back had a staffie and some silly bugger broke in. Staffies jaws lock when they bite and the guy left a chunk of flesh as he tried to retreat through the window.

When I lived in the UK a colleague's friend popped round the corner to pick up his takeaway and when he got back a few minutes later his doberman pincher dog was lying on the floor gasping. He grabbed the dog and rushed to the vet's and 4 fingers were removed from the dog's throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

As beazee said, it's not perfectly legal. Yes, it's useful, but completely illegal. And it's not just having it that's the problem. Let's say that taxi driver used it. Firstly, he'd be convicted for an offensive weapon under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act, a very serious offence with a possible 5 year jail sentence. Then, if the person he sprayed got out of the car and got hit by another car and killed because he couldn't see, the taxi driver would be liable for that too, and would get a manslaughter charge.
    an asteroid could also hit the car from deep outer space vaporising everyone in it and the can of pepper spray....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Morning all, with the lovely sun this morning i threw open all the blinds and curtains etc to let some sun in only to notice there was an attempted break in on my rear spare room window, i havent opened the window in there in a few weeks so im not 100% sure when this attempt was... the top half of the window was wedged open and pulled (snapped) off the top rail... by the looks of it they gave up at this point, i suspect the sound of it snapping set my dog off on a barking session that might have ended their adventure...

Anyway just giving you the heads up, this is in the Ardkeen area, i will be telling my neighbors today to let them know too!

Cheers
    H

Dunmore road area is a hotspot at the moment. Inclined to believe they are locals that are doing the breakins as they are happening at all hours of the day and seem to know when a house is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

House broken into in grange last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

A house in the Hawthorn road part of Hillview was robbed only a few hours ago. No one's safe on Paddy's Day.

JenniFurr wrote: »
    A house in the Hawthorn road part of Hillview was robbed only a few hours ago. No one's safe on Paddy's Day.

Ha ha ha, sorry have to laugh, no ones safe on Paddy's Day!

Lets call a spade a spade here, Paddy's Day for a huge percentage of people is about getting p'ssed drunk and young people today dont only drink they smoke hash to boot or take other drugs coke or what not, So youve got people who are criminals anyway on the streets drunk and stoned dangerous people who derive pleasure from attacking people or causing damge to others in some form or another, so for you to say no ones safe even on Paddy's Day makes me laugh, I work in a place where ive seen all this in one night i HATE Paddy's Day for that reason, when your the person cleaning up the mess it loses its shine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Ha ha ha, sorry have to laugh, no ones safe on Paddy's Day!

Lets call a spade a spade here, Paddy's Day for a huge percentage of people is about getting p'ssed drunk and young people today dont only drink they smoke hash to boot or take other drugs coke or what not, So youve got people who are criminals anyway on the streets drunk and stoned dangerous people who derive pleasure from attacking people or causing damge to others in some form or another, so for you to say no ones safe even on Paddy's Day makes me laugh, I work in a place where ive seen all this in one night i HATE Paddy's Day for that reason, when your the person cleaning up the mess it loses its shine!

All of which is completely irrelevant to this thread.

In news that is actually pertinent, a house on Griffiths place was broken into yesterday.

All of which is completely irrelevant to this thread.

In news that is actually pertinent, a house on Griffiths place was broken into yesterday.

Well it is actually because i was replying to a poster who was posting about houses being broken into and its NOT EVEN SAFE ON PADDY'S DAY and i anwered to why its not safe in particular on Paddy's Day! More drink and more drugs being consumed in any other time of the year leading to more crime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd guess that on the burglary front the only reason the numbers might go up on Paddys Day is to do with the fact that the burglars might take advantage of people being out at the parade or at a party, rather than burglars being out of it on drink and drugs?
    Well it is actually because i was replying to a poster who was posting about houses being broken into and its NOT EVEN SAFE ON PADDY'S DAY and i anwered to why its not safe in particular on Paddy's Day! More drink and more drugs being consumed in any other time of the year leading to more crime!

bullpost wrote: »
    I'd guess that on the burglary front the only reason the numbers might go up on Paddys Day is to do with the fact that the burglars might take advantage of people being out at the parade or at a party, rather than burglars being out of it on drink and drugs?

Yes i would agree with this too, but criminal damage and attacks and violence and yes break ins would go up on St Patricks Day!

Events that get everyone out of the house like parades is like green light for break ins. Not sure what the levels were like during the tall ships and spraoi

Anyone know what percentage of break ins occur with houses without alarms that are turned on?

I'd love to know... do they continue even with the alarm going off? Hardly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Anyone know what percentage of break ins occur with houses without alarms that are turned on?

I'd love to know... do they continue even with the alarm going off? Hardly?

The Irish Times did a crime special in 2012 overlooking the area from various angles. They interviewed a career thief who commented that if there was an alarm, he'd stay for 2-3 mins only and swipe what he could in that time.

hardybuck wrote: »
    The Irish Times did a crime special in 2012 overlooking the area from various angles. They interviewed a career thief who commented that if there was an alarm, he'd stay for 2-3 mins only and swipe what he could in that time.

Thanks, interesting.

I suppose alarms would be a deterent for most opportunists but some people may see it as a case of there must be something worth stealing! Ringing bells dont always stop thieves as alot of them arent connected to a central station and thieves know this, staying connected to a central station costs alot of money per year and these days lets face it who has the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fiesty lady

Its a myth to say monitored alarms are expensieve, It costs 12 euro 50 cent per month for monitoring with David Flynn security and 25 euro with eircom,

Its a myth to say monitored alarms are expensieve, It costs 12 euro 50 cent per month for monitoring with David Flynn security and 25 euro with eircom,

Just out of interest your user name is that cos you drive a Ford Fiesta?

50 euro a month is 300 euro a year! Sorry but that is expensive, that is an expense, i presume you work for one of these companies?

Its all relative when you work for a company that says its only 300 a year, road tax is only 390 a year for some cars its only 200 for others, house tax is now god knows how much a year, so to say that its cheap is bull.

• Advertisement

Those prices do not include installation Eircom phone watch is €699 off eircoms site Mr Flynn does not post prices on his site by the looks of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement