Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robberies in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

When a car is stolen the most important thing to get your car back is time, the longer its gone the chances of getting it back are slim. If my car was stolen i would appreciate people trying to alert me to it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

When a car is stolen the most important thing to get your car back is time, the longer its gone the chances of getting it back are slim. If my car was stolen i would appreciate people trying to alert me to it.

Thats fine and all but there's no need to cross post it,

Either start a thread or post it in this thread. There's no need to put the same thing in two places.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Off-topic posts deleted,
    Please keep this thread on topic, if you want to bicker back and forth or have an issue with a mod then please take it to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Seemed to have been a lot of Robberies over the weekend. WLR read out 5/6 in different areas yesterday on One O' Clock news. Are the guards actually doing anything about these people. One of the victims caught a robber age 15 so do the underage people get away with going to court/being fined ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

What some of the gangs do is use a kid to get in a window cause they are small and less chance of getting stuck. the court system here needs to be sorted out. guys with 20+ previous convictions getting out in a few weeks or months. Hard labour would prob put the fear of god into them. Bring back chain gangs.

• Advertisement

deisediva wrote: »
    Seemed to have been a lot of Robberies over the weekend. WLR read out 5/6 in different areas yesterday on One O' Clock news. Are the guards actually doing anything about these people. One of the victims caught a robber age 15 so do the underage people get away with going to court/being fined ?

Great isn't it?

Personally I'd like to see the parents of underaged robbers being fined or doing community service (this may be a stretch too far?), at the end of the day its their kid and its their job to ensure they are brought up properly.

spookwoman wrote: »
    What some of the gangs do is use a kid to get in a window cause they are small and less chance of getting stuck. the court system here needs to be sorted out. guys with 20+ previous convictions getting out in a few weeks or months. Hard labour would prob put the fear of god into them. Bring back chain gangs.

I think one of the problems in this country is it costs so much money to lock them up long term and theres already a huge over crowding problem in prisons, I think this certain problem leads to these decisions being made and being made to look a soft touch, I also think judges live in Ivory Towers and dont need to worry about this sort of peasant crime!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I think one of the problems in this country is it costs so much money to lock them up long term and theres already a huge over crowding problem in prisons, I think this certain problem leads to these decisions being made and being made to look a soft touch, I also think judges live in Ivory Towers and dont need to worry about this sort of peasant crime!

Actually we'd save an absolute fortune if we locked them up compared to what it actually costs us to lock them up in the first place.

What we need is:

1. More prison places.
    2. An end to concurrent sentencing in most cases.
    3. Longer jail sentences based on a sliding scale.
    4. Reduction in free legal aid based on a sliding scale.
    5. End of revolving door syndrome.
    6. Tougher sentencing and judges held accountable.

Of course points 1 to 6 relates to persistent and/or violent criminals.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Actually we'd save an absolute fortune if we locked them up compared to what it actually costs us to lock them up in the first place.

What we need is:

1. More prison places.
    2. An end to concurrent sentencing in most cases.
    3. Longer jail sentences based on a sliding scale.
    4. Reduction in free legal aid based on a sliding scale.
    5. End of revolving door syndrome.
    6. Tougher sentencing and judges held accountable.

Of course points 1 to 6 relates to persistent and/or violent criminals.

Sorry not being funny or anything, I dont get what you mean in your first sentence, you just kind of repeat yourself? maybe you left a word out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

deisediva wrote: »

which areas did they say?

• Advertisement

Sorry not being funny or anything, I dont get what you mean in your first sentence, you just kind of repeat yourself? maybe you left a word out?

Criminals do an awful lot of financial damage to communities and businesses. Locking them up would save us a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Criminals do an awful lot of financial damage to communities and businesses. Locking them up would save us a fortune.
    Police looking for them where they could focus on other areas. robberies affect insurance prices etc. With chain gangs clear roadsides clean rivers etc. Clean country brings people in which leads to business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I parked my car a few months ago in a car park on the Dunmore road. I genuinely thought I was after locking the car and was rushing. I came back to the car and realised all four doors were open. I had CD's in that little compartment under the stereo. It wasn't until I was just driving down Newtown that I realised that they were gone. In fairness, ffs, who would steal a bunch of CD's, all scratched but playable, then I realised, the scumbags will rob anything that looks in any way valuable. There was a couple of CD's that I had that were irreplaceable. Damn scumbags!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

which areas did they say?
    Sorry only caught it when I was driving so can't remember them all . Viewmount was mentioned/Cluain a laoi cannot remember the rest sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭gw80

turn it into a business like in the states, have prisoners making stuff that the government can make money off, you,ll soon see a lot more sentences handed out;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

gw80 wrote: »
    turn it into a business like in the states, have prisoners making stuff that the government can make money off, you,ll soon see a lot more sentences handed out;)

Not enough blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Every convicted scumbag should have his picture and address posted all over the city. Better still tag them when they get out , too hell with it, every time they are convicted of stealing, cut a limb off, so next time you would see a stump on a skate board you would know he had been a naughty boy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

3 houses meadowbank robbed recently one man was home and held down while they robbed the place know a girl there living in fear of a break in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

i saw on facebook earlier a friend of mine in meadowbank was broke into lastnight through smashing rear patio sliding door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Another patio door smashed now since yesterday also same thing happened to my sister in Williamstown last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Surely smashing a double glazing patio door would make lots of noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Mandatory 10 year sentence with no parole. Sorted. Bastards.

decies wrote: »
    Every convicted scumbag should have his picture and address posted all over the city.

I don't think that would work. The law breakers would treat that as a badge of honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Offices on witches lane broken into by 4 people. Used a grinder type saw to cut the railings and then kicked in the door if the offices. Took the petit cash safe off with them. All caught in camera

cococoady wrote: »
    Offices on witches lane broken into by 4 people. Used a grinder type saw to cut the railings and then kicked in the door if the offices. Took the petit cash safe off with them. All caught in camera

Thing is, can they be identifiable?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Thing is, can they be identifiable?

Dunno. Didn't see the recording

if ye come across anyone in your house make sure there facing ya when ya plant the hurley into there face

if ye come across anyone in your house make sure there facing ya when ya plant the hurley into there face

And when the guards come, tell them that you gave him multiple warnings and he ignored you.

Say nothing else until you get a solicitor.

I don't know how much this applies to us but here ye go anyways:

Never explain to the Police

If the Police arrive to lock you up, say nothing. You are a decent person and you may think that reasoning with the Police will help. “If I can only explain, they will realise it is all a horrible mistake and go away”. Wrong. We do want to talk to you on tape in an interview room but that comes later. All you are doing by trying to explain is digging yourself further in. We call that stuff a significant statement and we love it. Decent folk can’t help themselves, they think that they can talk their way out. Wrong.

Admit Nothing
    To do anything more than lock you up for a few hours we need to prove a case. The easiest route to that is your admission. Without it, our case may be a lot weaker, maybe not enough to charge you with. In any case, it is always worth finding out exactly how damning the evidence is before you fall on your sword. So don’t do the decent and honourable thing and admit what you have done. Don’t even deny it or try to give your side of the story. Just say nothing. No confession and CPS are on the back foot already. They forsee a trial. They fear a trial. They are looking for any excuse to send you home free.

Keep your mouth shut
    Say as little as possible to us. At the custody office desk a Sergeant will ask you some questions. It is safe to answer these. For the rest of the time, say nothing.

http://nightjack2.wordpress.com/2008/07/24/a-survival-guide-for-decent-folk/

And when the guards come, tell them that you gave him multiple warnings and he ignored you.

Say nothing else until you get a solicitor.

I don't know how much this applies to us but here ye go anyways:

http://nightjack2.wordpress.com/2008/07/24/a-survival-guide-for-decent-folk/
    the gardaí would more than likely take your side anyway off the record

• Advertisement

the gardaí would more than likely take your side anyway off the record

Are you sure about that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement