Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robberies in Waterford

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that?
    well your doin there job for them as more than likely the burglar will still be flat out on the floor when they arrive and they will have someone to convict

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

well your doin there job for them as more than likely the burglar will still be flat out on the floor when they arrive and they will have someone to convict

The burglar gets a slap on the wrist, you get done for assault and the burglar claims damages against you and likely wins. If you wish to safely go down the hurley route then do a thorough job, remove the burglar from the premises, leave them out on the street, get rid of the hurley and go back to bed, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

old gregg wrote: »
    The burglar gets a slap on the wrist, you get done for assault and the burglar claims damages against you and likely wins. If you wish to safely go down the hurley route then do a thorough job, remove the burglar from the premises, leave them out on the street, get rid of the hurley and go back to bed, I reckon.

To be honest we haven't seen too many cases where people have been prosecuted for defending their property except the high profile Nally case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Would it really be that hard to frame him anyway after you knock him out/kill him, put a knife in his hand or whatever before the police get there or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

2 old women robbed in closegate yesterday and a 5euro was taken,also a number of incidents in grantstown park which also involved a garda getting assaulted
    Gardai in Waterford are investigating a theft in the city in which a Garda was assaulted. At approximately 1.40am Gardai were called to Grantstown Park where a number of incidents had been reported. A car had been broken into and an attempt had been made to steal it. A moped had also been taken from a house and located a short distance away. When Gardai arrived at the scene three youths were running away and Gardai chased them, subsequently arresting them and taking them to Waterford Garda Station. However during the course of one of these arrests a Garda was assaulted. He was punched a number of times in both sides of his head. The suspect also scraped his face a number of times and put his hands around his neck in a strangle hold. his eyes were also gouged at. Assistance arrived to the scene to aid the Gardai and the suspect was then arrested. The Garda was taken to caredoc where he received treatment for his injuries and was allowed home. All three of the men are currently being detained at Waterford Garda station. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Gardai on 051 305300.
    A 22 year old man has been charged with robbery after threating two elderly women in Waterford City on Friday afternoon.The women who are aged 76 and 85 arrived home at Closegate, The Manor at around 4pm.On entering the house a male appeared behind them closed the door and demanded money.He knocked one of the ladies to the ground and got away with just 5 euro in cash. No injuries were sustained in the incident.Shortly before 4pm on Friday a woman reported that her handbag was taken from her at Railway Square as she was walking home.A suspect was arrested a short time later and taken to Waterford Garda Station. At a special sitting of Waterford District Court yesterday evening, Myles Flynn of 61 Priory Lawn in Waterford was charged with robbery and remanded in custody to reappear before the court again tomorrow.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/178691-22-year-old-charged-with-robbery-after-threatening-two-elderly-ladies-waterford.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

What kind of dirty scumhead attacks 76 and 85 year old ladies. That really is nasty as fuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I wonder did the fcuker that attacked the Garda while being arrested "bounced around in the Paddy wagon a bit" on the way to the station. I sincerely hope he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I just read about that poor disabled man out in Ballybeg where all the glass in his windows and doors were put in.

The man puts in or out for noone and thats what scumbags out there decide to do to him. And of course the corporation refuses to help. So he is practically in darkness.

Makes we weep so it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭duinegorm

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I just read about that poor disabled man out in Ballybeg where all the glass in his windows and doors were put in.

The man puts in or out for noone and thats what scumbags out there decide to do to him. And of course the corporation refuses to help. So he is practically in darkness.

Makes we weep so it does.

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Someone was robbed and stabbed in the thigh by two youths on Kings Terrace in broad daylight according to the news and star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

duinegorm wrote: »
    What happened?

They smashed all the glass in his windows and doors. He hasn't got a clue why they would do it.

Anyway, the council won't replace the windows as they say they have no obligation to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just a quick bump on this thread. A guy working with me got a phone call yesterday to say his alarm was going off. He went to house but couldn't see any sign of tampering with windows/doors.
    His neighbour's house had an attempted break in last Friday 10:30am. Someone knocked on front door, the person in the house didn't hear the door thus no reply.
    There was someone around the back trying to open the window, when he saw the house occupied he fled (he was in his 40/50's and from the travelling community)
    Just to keep extra vigilant in our estates.

Edit : I forgot to mention what area it was (King's Channel, Dunmore Road)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

A house break in was carried out in Summerville Avenue on the week leading into the May bank holiday. A quantity of jewellary was stolen. A white, Limerick reg, Volkswagen Caddy type van was spotted acting suspiciously in the area around the time of the robbery.

In a seperate incident in the same week, residents of the Grange Lawn area noticed a group of youths checking for unlocked doors in the area. I understand that one of the residents recognised one of the suspects, who were caught by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I may aswell say this to yee all here with Telecom phone watch, this system is useless as criminals are using GSM blockers on the system which deactivates the system, Im pretty sure the sensors are wireless and this blocks the signals, so thieves are using these blockers that can be got online thats why Eircom is useless, there are other ways too to block the system you dont even need to do that, I knew this about 10 years ago its nothing new its just more common place now, eircom wireless alarms are complete tosh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

I may aswell say this to yee all here with Telecom phone watch, this system is useless as criminals are using GSM blockers on the system which deactivates the system, Im pretty sure the sensors are wireless and this blocks the signals, so thieves are using these blockers that can be got online thats why Eircom is useless, there are other ways too to block the system you dont even need to do that, I knew this about 10 years ago its nothing new its just more common place now, eircom wireless alarms are complete tosh

SNIP

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lads, gsm blockers are illegal in ireland so no posted links to places to buy them!

Cabaal wrote: »
    Lads, gsm blockers are illegal in ireland so no posted links to places to buy them!

Who said anything about buying GSM blockers? nobody once here stated that so please dont slander me by implying i was talking about that.

I was merely pointing out the fact that CRIMINALS are using GSM blockers and they render your wire free alarms useless, but you dont need GSM blockers to render an eircom phone watch system useless.

RE SNIP, Snip might take down the connection to central base but it wont prevent the system from ringing, and im sure theres a tamper switch wired into the phone and if a signal is lost it will send the alarm into action, A loss of signal should also raise an alarm with central station.

As said in a previous post Wire Free alarms are useless and id urge all of you to avoid them like the plague,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Who said anything about buying GSM blockers? nobody once here stated that so please dont slander me by implying i was talking about that.

I was merely pointing out the fact that CRIMINALS are using GSM blockers and they render your wire free alarms useless, but you dont need GSM blockers to render an eircom phone watch system useless.

RE SNIP, Snip might take down the connection to central base but it wont prevent the system from ringing, and im sure theres a tamper switch wired into the phone and if a signal is lost it will send the alarm into action, A loss of signal should also raise an alarm with central station.

As said in a previous post Wire Free alarms are useless and id urge all of you to avoid them like the plague,

Get off your high horse and don't think everything is aimed at you.There was a link up that was removed by a different user.

Meatwad wrote: »
    Get off your high horse and don't think everything is aimed at you.There was a link up that was removed by a different user.

Get off my high horse? Im just covering my ass cosov you boys like to point fingers and criticise and generally jump on everything i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Main reason the link was taken down prob because some numpties who like to break in would like the extra equipment and posting a link even if in the US could given them idea's where to get them.

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    Main reason the link was taken down prob because some numpties who like to break in would like the extra equipment and posting a link even if in the US could given them idea's where to get them.

Well i didnt see the link sorry I apolagise, what IDIOT would put a link up thats just stupid.
    The funny thing is i was listening to Joe Duffy not so long ago and there was a guy who was running a pub quez who used a GSM blocker so the people couldnt google the answeres with their mobiles, he wasnt long on being pointed out that he was doing was ilegal because of so many different reasons apart from the obvious

Not saying anyones an idiot, its something that wouldnt cross everyones mind when posting. Having a bad mind helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

where i work they have gsm blockers so no one can use phones at work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

just thought I'd share.....:)

A person who may or may not have been mention in this thread for a similar offence,,,, A Few weeks ago grabbed a womans handbag and took off ,With the woman in hot persuit ,As he ran to the end of the road he ran straight into the woman Rugby Playing Son who was standing at the corner talking to a few mates ..................

The woman got her handbag back as for the thief I'll leave that to yer imagination :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Motivator

Any new alarm, by new alarm I mean one that has been installed in the last 10 years, can't be tampered with by these scanners. Older alarms can be tampered with as the signals aren't used to newer technology.

I know this because I had my phone watch serviced in March & the Eircom technician told be all about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Motivator wrote: »
    Any new alarm, by new alarm I mean one that has been installed in the last 10 years, can't be tampered with by these scanners. Older alarms can be tampered with as the signals aren't used to newer technology.

I know this because I had my phone watch serviced in March & the Eircom technician told be all about it.

I'd be curious how any eircom engineer can claim this,

if you have a cell signal blocker then it can without a doubt be affected, in the same way as your mobile wouldn't work in proximity to a cell signal blocker.

The only way it woudn't be affected is if the alarm was using an actual PSTN line,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Faq wrote: »
    where i work they have gsm blockers so no one can use phones at work

Thats highly illegal you should report them to comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

spate of robberies is not abating getting worse if anything,

does any estate in town do the community watch group thing looking out for each others gaff etc.. ?

Hoffmans wrote: »
    spate of robberies is not abating getting worse if anything,

does any estate in town do the community watch group thing looking out for each others gaff etc.. ?

Dont think the community watch thing really works. Where I live loads of guards live in the estate but houses still getting hit. Only way is to keep an eye out of people acting suspiciously. That does work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

Just look out for any white vans that should cover most things !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement