Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moshi Monsters

Options
  • 06-04-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I see there is a thread about the toys in this but what do you think of the online website. We have a 6 year old who wants to get a card to buy into this site so he can play games etc. I was looking at it today and I'm not sure what to make of it.
    I did hear something last week about chatrooms in it which could be open to abuse. Are many other parents buying these €5 cards for a month of I'm not sure what ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is a free version they can use, then a pay version.
    Chatroom are moderate/scanned and I know of one child that was banned for abuse so they seem to be running a tight ship, which is good.
    A review here http://www.appappeal.com/app/moshi-monsters/
    Mind, 6 is too young imo, maybe 10 would be better but that's just an opinion based on that kids under 10 shouldn't be on the net, period.

Or block everything in the firewall except OK sites, use OpenDNS.
    Even youtube can have pretty gruesome stuff for young kids.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

My son who's 6 has been using it on and off for a couple of months, he uses that and the club penguin site. He uses the free version and no complaints, I certainly wouldn't get into paying for it, not regularly anyway - its okay as a treat - or if he saves up his pocket money, but he would prefer to spend it on toys anyway.

I've not found any problems with him using it, he only gets a limited time on it anyway and its where I can see him using it. I have the parental control set so he can't access much on it. I suppose its like anything, limit the time and ensure that they are safe on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

The site itself is well designed, it does what it says on the tin: it is entertaining, Secure, and educational. It has adaptive quizzes and puzzles which kids have to learn.

That is the positive side. The negative side is that the site offers a free version of adventures and trips that the kids need to solve. These adventures are restricted i.e. the adventures cannot be progressed without a payment at a certain point i.e. the child cannot complete these adventures unless an adult pays a fee. From a cynical point of view this could be seen as entrapment?

The fee goes from approx 5euros per month to 25euros per 6mnth to 30 euros for a years subscription. The obvious take up is the years subscripion for 30euros.

On that point my daughter (6) said that she did not mind me not paying for this as she saw it as entrapment herself. As a surprise on impulse I paid it and called her over and announced that she had full access to the site. She gave me a massive hug and said 'I love you dad'!

After she solved the adventures and found that they go no further she has lost interest. Still 30 euros was worth it for a years subscription I think. Oh and the big hug was worth it as well;)

Advertisement