Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Friday - Did ya eat meat?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

No I didn't, but that's because I'm a vegetarian not a catholic:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I had Shephards Pie, kinda religious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Well, I didn't read the threads already open, so might have been asked already.

Today = Good Friday, did you stick with the Catholic tradition of abstaining from meat and tuck into a piece of salmon? Or no? :)

I ate meat kind of feel bad about it now though :/ people keep telling me it's only one day of the year not to so don't ... But I did :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

You know its good friday when EVERYONE os online ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Fajitas were made for dinner tonight - had no idea it was GF though. Ah well...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I ate meat, drank wine, and am about to engage in seriously sinful acts...

Hitting the Easter egg stash.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

I'm not religious at all, so just cos I happened to fancy fish... I had smoked haddock with spinach and ricotta tagliatelle.... was delish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

I ate mate,but am much older and wiser now....miss the guilt though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah of course i did. no reason why i shouldnt. im not a member of a lunatic cult

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

I ate mate,but am much older and wiser now....miss the guilt though.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Ate 4 sausages at 8am, couple of ham sandwiches for lunch and fish for dinner. Drinking since 9pm:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nope, same as every day. Viva la revolution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

had 3 of the big 4 meats already today (beef, pork & chicken, the 4th being lamb), might head down the chippers now for a kebab, complete the grand slam.

pork and chicken?????? anything that qualifies as 'white meat' is practically vegetarian...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Had a double q-pounder from muck macs. Does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Grrrr, I voted wrong :mad:

Made and ate a beautiful fish pie filled with fresh cod, salmon, smoked coley and prawns topped off with mashed spuds :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

where is, I'm not a katlick but didn't eat meat option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....than many forms of meat such as sausages and mincemeat as opposed to lobster, salmon or swordfish, all of which I had on Good Friday before I gave up following the "rules" to the letter.

Also the complete impossibility of getting alcohol on Good Friday strikes me as a completely illogical throwback to the days when Church and state were the same. I do not see how this anachronstic law will be abolished given that it unlikely that FG, SF or FF will allow it to go and Labour will not do it unless by accident. It makes a mess of the Easter Weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I am a practicing Atheist, and yes, I ate meat :D

I would imagine eating meat on Good Friday must be one of the most important rituals of a "practicing Atheist" :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Nope, I'm a vegetarian, it's about time this day was hijacked as some kind of veggie holiday \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Had a hotdog so... eh... maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Had a mixed meat\veg Chinese. Yummy yummy beef. Also had a few drinks in the name of freedom from the Catholic Church :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Haha heard a gas text on 2fm this morning - this poor muppet only realised it was Good Friday after he'd chomped down six sausages for breakfast! Wouldn't ya be sick :p I had fish and chips but did have an Easter egg or two after so sort of undid my good deeds :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Every day is like good friday around here. plaice, coley, whiting, cod, lemon sole, rubber sole.. u name it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Try our new beef-flavoured chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

No had squid for dinner as my fish shop rarely has it, washed it down with a glass of white wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Why would it annoy them ?
    It only applies to current Catholics.
    I know a lot of people who wouldn't be Catholic but feel they have to do it for cultural reasons, It did bug them, I only wish I had a nice steak to bug them more with.

I think it's the same as the drink thing, none of them would think twice about going a day without until they feel they're being made, hence someone not feeling the same bugs them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,309 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Nope. No meat today. A lot of the time I forget myself & eat ham out of the fridge. But I am going to Topaz first thing in the morning for a JUMBO BREAKFAST ROLL!!! Can't wait :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Bought a half price ham fillet in tesco and had it steeping with the intention of cooking it tomorrow. I ended up boiling and baking it with brown sugar and wholegrain mustard accompanied with mash and peas. Absolutely delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

time for bad saturday I reckon.. did my time. that meat feast is going in the top shelf at no.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

Surely people sure be depriving themselves of alcohol on GF, as meat is no longer a luxury as once was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh my god anyone who ate meat us such a rebel - if they were a teenager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Beef sandwich and Lyons Tea for brekkie .......... stripoin steak and broccoli for dindins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I had chicken from a place I often eat, and it was horrible, even though it is normally good.

Its like himself upstairs tampered with it or something :pac: Mind you Im not sure if the meat rule actually covers chicken seeing as some beggies lump it with fish as living creatures not as deserving of life as cattle and pigs.

Which brings us to another point about how church run Ireland apparently was. If they wielded so much power how come selling meat on Good Friday was never illegal? Granted, I doubt until McDonalds arrived it was actually possible to find anywhere open to sell it, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I had a mixed meat vindaloo. God will understand.

Advertisement