Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Night/gum guard teeth pain

• 06-04-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I was recently fitted with a mouth guard. It hurt a little when the dentist fitted me with it he told me that was normal. I wore it last night and am now awake 14 hours and my front tooth is still sore/sensitive is this just because it's new and will the pain calm down when my teeth get used to it? It feels like there is pressure pushing on my front tooth if that makes sense?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I recently got one fitted by a dentist and at the check up a week later I mentioned the front top left incisor was sensitive for about 15 minutes after taking it off in the morning and he put some cold stuff to check if the nerve was still alive and if I could feel it (I presume?).

For sensitivity to be persisting 14 hours after you take it off, I'd head back to your dentist and let them know about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Thanks for getting back to me. I wasn't told anything about coming back for a check up except down the line I might need to get stints put in too. It is sensitive/ feel pressure. My soreness is the left incisor too assumed it was pressure from the mouth guard. I was also told I will have to get new ones regularly and at 120 a pop not sure if I can afford that
    My teeth were tested last year with that cold stuff so really hope that isn't the issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

More than likely the splint is too tight on that tooth, get it eased ASAP and it should fix the problem. No 14 hours is nit normal go to the dentist asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Thanks Fitzgeme, won't get a chance to go for awhile as I got it done in the practice near my parents unless they open of a Saturday. Today my throat is very sore and scratchy. am not sure if it's because I am coming down with something or if it's because my mouth was open perhaps due to the mouth guard! am such a drama queen when it comes to my dental issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I was recommended to use a mouthguard at night as evidence of tooth grinding when asleep and to protect new implants from damage. It is clear looking thing and easily lost in bedclothes. I thought to get a spare one and the new one was a much tougher, thicker affair and impossible to wear. The chap who made it explained that they come in different grades and replaced it with more comfortable one.

Perhaps you could have a lighter one? Two years on my two are still sound.

• Advertisement

I was recommended to use a mouthguard at night as evidence of tooth grinding when asleep and to protect new implants from damage. It is clear looking thing and easily lost in bedclothes. I thought to get a spare one and the new one was a much tougher, thicker affair and impossible to wear. The chap who made it explained that they come in different grades and replaced it with more comfortable one.

Perhaps you could have a lighter one? Two years on my two are still sound.

Your talking about a sift nightguard, there are all rubbish no matter how thick and make you grind more. You want a proper hard one. I find it hard to believe the number of people on this forum being reccomended soft splints, these are only for sports protection and very short term use.

I suppose you mean 'soft'? Well they are substantial enough, I think made of silicone and not the lightweight type that children had when wearing tramtracks. Two years on and I have not managed to chew thro them. I do not think I would still be using this item if any more bulky/rigid/uncomfortable.

I suppose you mean "traintracks", I dont care how thick a soft splint if there is a none rigid surface in your mouth then the facial muscles and joints clench and grind more into this "bouncy castle" in your mouth. There are a number of electromyographic studies that show this. You are give these because they are cheap, easy to make and patients find them easily tolerable with minimal dentist effort but they are not only doing little good but actual harm.

An all acrylic night splint is a hard device with a specific bite pattern built in, its difficult to make and adjust and costs more. Patient's find they take longer to get used to but the are protective without inducing greater muscle contraction and can also help break pattern generator cycles in the brain that cause grinding in the first place. A well made one is only 2mm thick at the back molar and about 8 mm at the front

Trust me on this one, I really know what I am talking about. Soft splints are only for acute problem and only in the very short term if at all.

Here is a hard splint.

splint00001.jpg
    splint00002.jpg
    splint00003.jpg
    splint00004.jpg
    splint00009.jpg
    splint00008.jpg

lovely pics....:confused:

I prefer my 'bouncy' night guard to alternative of teeth grinding top to bottom row. I do not think I could sleep with any more substantial/rigid device.

I was fitted with same as recommended by the consultant who did work on my teeth.

Ok then, so long as your happy. However I prefer not to recommend potentially damaging devices to other people. I have seen too many problems with soft splints, I would never recommend one to a patient would rather they wear nothing if they are unwilling to try a proper splint, sometimes the easiest and cheapest way is not the best way. I have worked with nearly every "consultant" in ireland in this area and non of them make soft splints

• Advertisement
Advertisement