Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand Up Comedy Novices

• 06-04-2012 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Just wondering if any other Stand Up Comedy Novices are interested in creating a monthly/weekly group session to gain experience & encouragement to actually do stand up regularly?

If we can get more people interested a regular event could be organised.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ras' Al Ghul

Yes lets get this thing moving,
    No more repressing our desires to leave people in stitches (one way or the other....)
    Carpe diem!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Darragh169

sounds good.I would like in please.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AnthonyK7

right so thats 3, where in Country suits for meetings, im in Kildare.

I reckon as there's tonnes of open mic places and probably people wanting to do it Dublin would be the best choice.And eh I live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

I'd be interested as well, most likely. Sounds like a good initiative, well done.

• Advertisement

Ok four people is a decent core,
    We could meet up in some pub- or at my flat near IFSC,
    (So long as i don't wake up in a bath full of ice sans my kidneys)

How about Tuesday night at the battle of the axe in the ha penny briidge inn, its an open mic & we can see how bad we can be & still do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'd point out that you need to book a spot at the Battle of the Axe in advance - you can't just turn up on the night and get spots.

Also - ye might want to meet up somewhere where you can chat. Sitting quietly watching other comedians might not be the best start to the group. And the Battle always runs late so there's not a lot of time for chatting afterwards as people have to get buses etc.

Yeah, I didnt mean to get a spot on that night but at least to put it into action, book spots. set the first hurdle, could all meet before it started, im not that interested sitting at a table where people are just trying to be funnier than the last person to speak, its like a support group for potential addicts that I have in mind.

AnthonyK7 wrote: »
    Yeah, I didnt mean to get a spot on that night but at least to put it into action, book spots. set the first hurdle, could all meet before it started, im not that interested sitting at a table where people are just trying to be funnier than the last person to speak, its like a support group for potential addicts that I have in mind.

I don't quite get what you want to do to be honest.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I don't quite get what you want to do to be honest.

yeah its a bit muddled, what I mean is that the idea of sitting around with people just trying to be funny is not what I am in interested in but the idea of sitting around talking about what can be funny & then making sure that each person performs what they think is funny is more what i want from this. Does that make more sense? more of a comedy class & discussion than a show & tell.

yeah its a bit muddled, what I mean is that the idea of sitting around with people just trying to be funny is not what I am in interested in but the idea of sitting around talking about what can be funny & then making sure that each person performs what they think is funny is more what i want from this. Does that make more sense? more of a comedy class & discussion than a show & tell.

Yeah. It kinda makes sense. However it sounds like you're looking for a comedy course - maybe just do one of those.

Yeah. It kinda makes sense. However it sounds like you're looking for a comedy course - maybe just do one of those.

fecked if im spending 300 quid to do a course,

Good point. Also most courses are sh*t.

It's just that if you get 5 people who all want to be comedians in a room together then it's going to turn into a 'out funny each other' night. It always does!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

It's just that if you get 5 people who all want to be comedians in a room together then it's going to turn into a 'out funny each other' night. It always does!

To be honest, 5 of us wannabes in a room is exactly what I had in mind ! I can go to battle of the axe any night - I had in mind something like we'd sit around and bounce possible material off each other.

thats exactly my concern but it might work, slight chance but a chance none the less.

This video reminded me of this thread:

This video reminded me of this thread:

haha, do you know how that video could be funny..... blah de fecken blah..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Aidan Killian used to teach stand up, not sure if he still does but you could drop him a line. Here's his site. I heard good reports about what he used to run.

http://www.aidankillian.com/

I teach comedy improv which is different than stand up but might be of appeal to some interested peeps. (Mind you I don't charge anything at all like that price!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

faceman wrote: »
    Aidan Killian used to teach stand up, not sure if he still does but you could drop him a line. Here's his site. I heard good reports about what he used to run.

http://www.aidankillian.com/

I teach comedy improv which is different than stand up but might be of appeal to some interested peeps. (Mind you I don't charge anything at all like that price!)

I did Aidan's course there back in February and found it very good. Aidan's a very decent guy too and he runs a couple of comedy nights around Dublin. He did another course in March as far as I know and he seems to do them regularly enough.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, im going to check out his site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭John 187

€300 is way too much and there noting you get from the course that you could not get by doing a few gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

John 187 wrote: »
    €300 is way too much and there noting you get from the course that you could not get by doing a few gigs.

Yeah €300 is a lot alright, but if you can afford it can be worth it. It depends on your situation. If you're confident enough and fairly comfortable on stage, then maybe you can skip it, or if you're happy enough with your material, but if you're unsure of yourself or your material it can give a nice boost, and get your confidence level up.

I got more out of it than I thought I would. It helped me engage a lot better with an audience than I had been and made me feel more relaxed on stage. I'm not saying I would never have been comfortable on stage without the course, but I became a lot more comfortable, a lot quicker than I would have done.

It's not essential that you do a course, but being in a room full of like minded people, getting a few tips to bring your material and all on a few steps can be very helpful. If you can afford it, it can be worth, depending on what you want out of it.

I reckon a meetup type idea where a few people bounce ideas off each other,
    to see what works and what doesn't.
    and who motivate and push each other to do gigs.
    as with all arts especially procrastination- practice makes perfect.
    So besides battle of the axe- we'll need about ten other establishments to frequent.Sometimes one firing squad isn't enough;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I reckon a meetup type idea where a few people bounce ideas off each other,
    to see what works and what doesn't.
    and who motivate and push each other to do gigs.
    as with all arts especially procrastination- practice makes perfect.
    So besides battle of the axe- we'll need about ten other establishments to frequent.Sometimes one firing squad isn't enough;)

Be prepared - waiting lists for open spots in Dublin can be very very long.

I have set up a facebook page for the alledged group herehttp://www.facebook.com/groups/164730923650076/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I occasionally get notices for open mic stand up events. I will post back for any future events.

faceman wrote: »
    I occasionally get notices for open mic stand up events. I will post back for any future events.

Nice one, thanks Faceman

Here is a list of other places for stand up in dublin.
    http://virginstandup.ladyboyjesus.com/post/223218603/dublincomedynights

not sure if i'm allowed to post that here- so please delete if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Here is a list of other places for stand up in dublin.
    http://virginstandup.ladyboyjesus.com/post/223218603/dublincomedynights

not sure if i'm allowed to post that here- so please delete if necessary.

That list is a bit out of date at this stage. A few of those nights no longer exist. And the Comedy Crunch is in the Stag's Head now, not the Shebeen Chic.

Advertisement