Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a car for me

• 07-04-2012 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Folks,

I need some advice on what 2nd had car to buy.

I travel from Limerick to Dublin twice per week, total KM's driven per week = approx 1,000KM

A diesel is the obvious choice but I want it to be fairly economical.

What car would you recommend?

k_p_b

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Any diesel car.

info on budget, maximum engine size youll go for etc would help narrow that down.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 k_p_b

budget = 10,000
    max engine size = 1.8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

VW/Audi diesel would surely make a good choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

If you could stretch to the 2.0 you will have far more options OP. I'm guessing it's 1.8 max for tax and/or insurance reasons? If it must be a 1.8 then something like a Mondeo 1.8TDCI would be the reliable choice, although you could get something like a 1.6TDCI Focus or Hyundai i30 CRDi within budget.

• Advertisement

Get a LPG converted car from the U.K cheaper than the cheapest to run tiny box diesel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,825 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Your best option would either be a VW Golf, or a VW Passat. A 2008 Passat Highline (with leather interior, heated seats, air conditioning, etc.) with less than 100,000 miles should be easily possible. If comfort isn't your number one priority, then you should be able to get a newer (although poorer specced) Golf that's newer/less miles for the same price.
    Get a LPG converted car from the U.K cheaper than the cheapest to run tiny box diesel!
    LPG isn't exactly cheap in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Had a similar budget for recent purchase.
    Looked at 08 Volvo S40 1.6 and 2.0 ltr diesel.
    Ended up with an 08 Jag X type 2.0 Ltr diesel. Getting 42/43 mpg with a very heavy foot - 90% motorway driving.
    All these have cruise control which would be an absolute must if doing that sort of motorway milage... best of luck

Your best option would either be a VW Golf, or a VW Passat. A 2008 Passat Highline (with leather interior, heated seats, air conditioning, etc.) with less than 100,000 miles should be easily possible. If comfort isn't your number one priority, then you should be able to get a newer (although poorer specced) Golf that's newer/less miles for the same price.
    LPG isn't exactly cheap in this country.

Even if it's 1 Euro per litre, it still works out cheaper than diesel.

There is a company in Kilcullen selling it for 75C litre way cheaper than diesel again even given lesser efficiency. If I hadn't got the Prius, then that's the direction I would have probably gone, but I'm saving over the Diesel A4 so I'm not bothered now!

I'm not sure what you can get it for in other arts of the country but it is worth considering if economy is your prime concern.

But if I had to travel that distance twice a week on top of my normal mileage and economy is the most important thing for you then I would get the cheapest LPG car I can get and drive it until it dies that would mean years of motoring at current fuel prices to make up the difference in buying the likes of a high mileage diesel car. Unfortunately high taxes on fuel mean we will be driving older and older cars.

If you think diesel is still the cheapest way to drive then go for a 1.3 opel corsa, punto, or 1.4 tdi polo bluemotion they are probably the most economical cars on the road in the older generation cars.

The fiat diesels are really good these days, the 1.3 is the same in the punto and corsa, again these make sense if economy is most important!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newtown Warrior

Herself has a 1.5lt diesel renalt modus at the moment. It does 62.5 mpg, not a pretty car but reliable and economical. I'm sure you could pick up one cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

k_p_b wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I need some advice on what 2nd had car to buy.

I travel from Limerick to Dublin twice per week, total KM's driven per week = approx 1,000KM

A diesel is the obvious choice but I want it to be fairly economical.

What car would you recommend?

k_p_b
    07 ford fiesta 1.4 tdci 5 door steel model stylish alloys electric windows Bluetooth heated screen remote locking turbo diesel engine real diamond of a car run on the smell of diesel and about 70 mpg can also get them 3 door and look very stylish
    they deserve your consideration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lads, the guy is doing 1000km per week, it is nuts to suggest doing this in a small car the size of a Fiesta. It's not just about what car can achieve the highest mpg, it's also about doing it in comfort.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lads, the guy is doing 1000km per week, it is nuts to suggest doing this in a small car the size of a Fiesta. It's not just about what car can achieve the highest mpg, it's also about doing it in comfort.
    there's no reason why he should fork out for a big 1.9 diesel or 2.0 litre saloon when he's on his own driving its commuting to work only 2 days fiesta in 07 model is not as small as you imagine you can still fit 3 adults relatively comfortable in the back should he ever need to and the running costs are considerably cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

listenup wrote: »
    there's no reason why he should fork out for a big 1.9 diesel or 2.0 litre saloon when he's on his own driving its commuting to work only 2 days fiesta in 07 model is not as small as you imagine you can still fit 3 adults relatively comfortable in the back should he ever need to and the running costs are considerably cheaper

1.9/2.0 litre are not big. The guy is driving 1000 km a week so he needs comfort, big car are more comfortable cruisers, they also have more room to stretch your legs on long journeys and because they have decent power the engine is not under any strain. Small cars are designed primeraly for urban driving. Yes they can handle a commute but they are lighter meaning they are more exposed to crosswinds, the suspension is not as comfortable as a larger car and they don't have the legroom of a bigger car which can become uncomfortable the longer the journey goes on.

I used to drive about 30k miles a year a few years back so I have a fair idea what I am talking about. My sister has a Fiesta, its a great car but there is no way I would drive 1000km a week in it.

bazz26 wrote: »
    listenup wrote: »

1.9/2.0 litre are not big. The guy is driving 1000 km a week so he needs comfort, big car are more comfortable cruisers, they also have more room to stretch your legs on long journeys and because they have decent power the engine is not under any strain. Small cars are designed primeraly for urban driving. Yes they can handle a commute but they are lighter meaning they are more exposed to crosswinds, the suspension is not as comfortable as a larger car and they don't have the legroom of a bigger car which can become uncomfortable the longer the journey goes on.

I used to drive about 30k miles a year a few years back so I have a fair idea what I am talking about. My sister has a Fiesta, its a great car but there is no way I would drive 1000km a week in it.
    goods point

Advertisement