Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix on WDTV Live gone after Firmware upgrade

• 07-04-2012 12:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭

Help......

I upgraded the Firmware on mt WDTV LIVE box and lost Netflix.

I only bought the WD so that I could watch Netflix.

Have googled the problem but most cant find anything UK/European to help??

Anyone else with problem???

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Moved from Films. This is a technical query, you'll get a better response here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

You can roll back to your previous firmware revision to get Netflix back.

This happened to me a while back. I upgraded and lost BBC iPlayer. I checked on the forums on the WD site and there was instructions on how to roll back and a link to retrieve older versions of the firmware. Rolling back took all of two minutes and I got iPlayer back :)

Now I just ignore firmware updates and go by the motto "if it's not broke, don't fix it" :)

Link to the rollback procedure and also to the earlier versions of the software for both the live hub and the live streamer.

N.B. I am using version 1.06.04 on my WD TV Live Streaming device and have both Netflix and iPlayer

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Masala

Tommy..... Thank you very much.

Followed the link, got myself a memory stick, downloaded the earlier version and straighaway the WD looked to 'update' the firmware which in this case was the earlier version!! and Bob Marley's your Uncle!!!

Still asks for Firmware upgrade but have advised all in household to IGNORE this from now on!

All happy - Netflix is back!!! Again - many thanks

Not a bother. Glad you got sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OP what version FW are you using? What was the new version that removed it?

I'm currently trying to decide between upgrading my older WDTV Live to the new version for Netflix support or getting a Boxee, so this has me very interested/concerned?

Anyone have any other thoughts on the two? I'm not interested in web-browsing on the TV as I always have a laptop or my phone to hand and I'd be connecting either device to a Windows server back-end running Mezzmo media server for playback.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Kaiser

...DON'T upgrade. It will screw you up.

I have Netflix back ,...but the Irish version so to speak. I had the US vserion since I started and now can't get it back. The Irish version is rubbish and if that is all I am getting - I think I'll drop mt Netflix subscription.

The wife likes Columbo, Ms Marple etc and with them gone - she will be like a bear with a sore head!!

Masala wrote: »
    Kaiser

...DON'T upgrade. It will screw you up.

I have Netflix back ,...but teh Irish version so to speak. I had the US vserion since I started and now can't get it back. The Irish version is rubbish and if that is all I am getting - I think I'll drop mt Netflix subscription.

The wife live Columbo, Ms Marple etc and with them gone - she will be live a bear with a sore head!!

@Masala: How were you accessing US Netflix before the upgrade/rollback?

I was using the UnblockUS DNS service and I configured the DNS settings on my WD TV Live Stream MP. So when I upgraded/rolled back, I had to reapply the settings again. Then power off and back on the WD Media Player and I had access to US Netflix again.

@Kaiser2000: I have a newer version of the WD TV Live Steraming Media Player (bought this year) running version 1.06.04 of the firmware and with this and using UnblockUS I have access to US Netflix and BBC iPlayer. I recently upgraded to version 1.07.xx and lost access to iPlayer, not sure about Netflix as I never tried it on the upgraded firmware. I rolled back to version 1.06.04, reconfigured my UnblockUS settings, rebooted the media player and I had acess to iPlayer and US netflix again.

If you don't have netflix support on your current WD TV device it might be worth trying the upgrade, but I dont think that DNS services like UnblockUS will work after the upgrade. It appears that the latest firmware finds the IP address assigned to the external interface of your router, looks up what ISP and country this IP address is assigned to and then provides you with the services provided to that country. So it may be a better option to go with the Boxee solution.

but I dont think that DNS services like UnblockUS will work after the upgrade

Yes... I was using UnBlockUs and was into my 3rd month without UnBlockUS giving me any problems OR looking to charge me. But since the update - I now cant get past UnBlockUs without registering for the 7 day trial.

What is the "boxee solution" ..????

The Boxee solution :)

Tommy.... another box to buy?????? No thanks!!!

Only bought the WDTV Live to watch Netflix!!!!

Looks like I will just drop the monthly sub to Netflix if I don't get back on the US version! The Irish version is not really worth the €6.99. Am down not to deciding if I want to put another $4.99 a month on this for the UnBLockUs sub as well!!

My Sky+ is getting backlogged with Game of Thrones, Homeland etc ... so maybe spend the next number of weeks catching up on same and then look at whether I will subscribe to Netflix again.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

it is also worth noting that the WDC team have started looking for feedback on the netflix issue that is a result of the last firmware update over at their community forum.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-and-Home-Entertainment/ct-p/wdtv_home_entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

got a wd tv live with firmware version 1.0.6.15_v on it , it doesnt have netflix on it , is there a way to get netflix on wd media player

got a wd tv live with firmware version 1.0.6.15_v on it , it doesnt have netflix on it , is there a way to get netflix on wd media player

Is it the new WDTV SMP or one of the older versions?

bought it used off adverts, it s wd tv live hd media player

my wd tv live player isnt a plus version, will it still work netflix and if it works netflix, how can i get it on it

my wd tv live player isnt a plus version, will it still work netflix and if it works netflix, how can i get it on it

unfortunately according to WD themselves it is not possible to have Netflix on the WDTV LIVE unless it is the plus or newer versions

Details are @ Link

Theres a download called playon which says it play on wd tv live player, i see how it goes, im sure theres a way but be around about way

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elsparko

Theres a download called playon which says it play on wd tv live player, i see how it goes, im sure theres a way but be around about way

any joy getting netflix going? isnt playon a subscription service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Didn't want to start a new thread, but was wondering if these WD Live Plus players are compatible with XBMC? Or could someone who has them let me know if they have a browser of some sort?

I have a premium streaming service that I'm hoping will run through the box??

elsparko wrote: »
    any joy getting netflix going? isnt playon a subscription service?

its a sub service alright but cant used with wd hd live , i guess only works with plus version, something to do with chipset inside , it has youtube and other serivces but not netflix , im currently playing through a console , not perfect setup but works for now, might cancel service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭zen260

anyone wanting to use the usa Netflix on your wd tv live box all you have to do is change the dns settings on your wd box,,,,use this dns address
    works on every devise,,also ive upgraded the software several times and it still works fine,,,one thing to remember if your modem goes down((like mine did on xmas eve ,lightening strike)))you have to manually enter the dns settings again once u change modems,,,apart from that its sweet sailing

Advertisement