Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cats and tuna

• 07-04-2012 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Hi

Our little boy Fudge is a great eater, he has days where he would only have one pouch then other days he would have 3-4. He been wormed dont worry :D

My quiery is this- ive heard its dangerous to feed cats too much tuna and im just wondering what are peoples exp on this.

We bought him the whiskas steamed fish range last week- its normally pretty pricey for only 8 pouches but it was half price so said we would give it a go- and he adores it. Now he wont eat anything else, he finished the fish pouches 2 days ago and wimpers when we try give him anything else and has eaten once since. Now these pouches are pricey (nearly 5 euro for 8 pouches) and we cant afford them

My husband suggested feeding him tinned tuna/ salmon/ mackerel/ sardines etc but ive been told that they are actually bad for cats

Can anyone shed any light for me

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

you could mix up some dry with a bit of wet to make sure your cat eats the dry while still getting the wet food hit!
    ive had this problem before and thats what i did...the wet stuff is like cat cocaine :)
    wet only makes the litter a bit of a nightmare and is not supposed to be great for cats...a mix of dry and wet in their diet is supposed to be the best

i was only researching the tinned tuna thing yesterday and im glad i did because aparently human tuna is quite harmful for cats...something about vitiman b or d i cat remember which but not a good idea, as for the other tinned fish im not sure but would defo check it out and be sure before going ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I've done exactly the same as you, bought the yummy stuff as a treat when it's on special offer, and had Loki turn his nose up when we're back to his dry food.

My suggestion? Tough it out, your cat will eat when he is hungry. Loki will occasionally ignore his bowl for two, even three days, before deciding that the food isn't so bad after all. Do make sure to refill the bowl each day though, as you don't want the food going off.

With regard to tuna - it can cause mercury poisoning if he is fed it often, but small amounts every once in a while should not pose any problem. The bigger the fish, the higher the mercury levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

There's a recession on and the cat wants tuna!
    You have to hand it to them they could get blood out of a stone.
    I give mine the odd bit of tuna and they both still walking about not a bother so a bit of what they fancy is no harm. And I agree with above poster; I mix wet and dry together, goes down well. Except for Sunday when they get chicken from the oven but that's another story :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

How about the ordinary whiskas fishy pouches - better value, 12 x 100g and you can get them on offer for 3.50 in an irish chain right now.

I give mine a tin of tuna for a treat, but only once every couple of weeks. It's too high in salt. Tinned sardines too, they're cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Those pouches are addictive to cats! Mine only have dried food but occasionally I crumble and get some pouches as a treat and even when they are all gone they will stalk me and refuse the dried food so im never buying them again..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Hi thanks for all the replies. he normally has dry food mixed with wet food, and we vary his food so he doesnt get bored. we also give him whiskas dentabits for his teeth... But made the major mistake of getting those fish pouches, the looks we get when he doesnt get them you swear we were feeding him poison:):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

My two are the same for their 'kitty crack'-whiskas tuna pouches., had ran out of dry food over the easter, now they give me 'you don't expect me to eat this again?' look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

zef wrote: »
    My two are the same for their 'kitty crack'-whiskas tuna pouches., had ran out of dry food over the easter, now they give me 'you don't expect me to eat this again?' look.

Kitty crack - that's exactly what we call it in our house too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I have to be careful with thise pouches - left them on the surface once or twice & the cats had managed to claw them open and get all the stuff out!

Advertisement