Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citizenship Enquiry

Options
  • 07-04-2012 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all. My fathers mother, now deceased, was born in the states, to American citizens. Can my father apply for citizenship, and could I in turn apply for citizenship also. My father has never spent time in the states as such, but has visited only on one occasion for a holiday.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Your granny would have been a citizen - everybody born in the US is. She could have passed this to your father if she satisfied the residency requirement (5 years living in the US, 2 of which must have been after the age of 14). But your father would have to satisfy this also to pass it to you. Or else move to the US and sponsor you for a green card (10 year wait).

If your father is a citizen he should have been filing taxes and travelled to the US on a US passport.

Advertisement