Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a console, Xbox360 or PS3???

Options
  • 07-04-2012 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey,

So moved into a new place, I've a lovely new 40" TV and I'm thinking of buying a console and I'm wondering what ye think are the pro's and cons or the Xbox and PS3. Here are my thoughts at the moment:

XBOX - in my last house there was one and I've played it quite a bit. A lot of my mates have an Xbox.

PS3 - Bluray player is tempting because i'll prob get one at some stage in the near future anyway. But is that enough to warrant going for PS3.

All thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

My thought...

Bluray players are getting cheap.

xbox for the game play.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

ps3 no paying 60 euro to the year gold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

xbox, better for games, better joypad, better online, better user interface

ps3- better multimedia, blu ray, streaming, web browser etc, games not exactly bad either and if you are a casual user, free online gaming is the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Dapos wrote: »
    XBOX - in my last house there was one and I've played it quite a bit. A lot of my mates have an Xbox
    This answers your question for you. If most of your mates have a 360 and you've enjoyed playing it yourself in the past then get a 360.

If you really want a bluray player then either pick one up on the cheap (they start around the €60 mark now) or just wait and save up for another while and get a PS3 too. That way you'll get the bluray playback and will be able to play the exclusives from both consoles.
    ps3 no paying 60 euro to the year gold
    360 no paying 60 euro to the year gold.

Spoiler: Live does not cost €60 per year. It can be had from places like cheapxboxlivecodes for £26

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Ok,still in two minds about it, leaning more towards a XBOX though.

Where can I get a good price on the new version with 250GB? (XBOX)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Moved to games - not a PS issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

buy a 4gb and put the older generation hard-drive in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Honestly don't get why people make these threads... there must be about 20 in the last year on this forum alone. Google what are the best exclusives for each.. decide if your going to be playing online much and if so what console do your friends play on... make decision. Rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It can be had from Zavvi for £148.45 ex. delivery when you use the code CLEARTEN.

Alternatively, it can be gotten from Amazon for £159.85 and choose from an additional game or wireless pack for £20/35.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Ive had both, ps3 is better imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

360, it's just better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I own both and the ps3 just gathers dust usually, xbox would be my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

No contest these days, PS3 all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

In your case I would go with the Xbox if you plan to play online, mainly as your mates have the same console.

If you want the Blu-ray feature and free online gaming (free doesn't mean better!) then go with the PS3.

It's not rocket science tbh. The 2 consoles are pretty much similar elsewhere in terms of reliability at this stage, at least in any experience I have had with either.

Look out for Used deals in shops, some places give the 1 year warranty with used consoles now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Magill wrote: »
    Honestly don't get why people make these threads... there must be about 20 in the last year on this forum alone. Google what are the best exclusives for each.. decide if your going to be playing online much and if so what console do your friends play on... make decision. Rocket science.

Well the reason I started this thread was to get some advise and irish peoples opinions (and I've got some very ones!). What's the problem with that? Is that what boards is all about? I did search the the threads and the closest I got in the first 15 hits or so was someone asking which is best for their 12 year old for online gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Magill wrote: »

I guess he wanted to talk to people about it before making his mind up. looking at a list if exclusives for someone new to the market won't be a huge amount of help. the only people that know which has the better exclusives are people who are able to compare the two, usually this means they own both consoles so rarely need to ask which should they buy.

I'm more amazed when someone reads a thread with a title like this and goes to all the bother of clicking in and replying when its easier to skip over it.

for the op both are great and neither will disappoint. I prefer my ps3 as I have more friends on that so I guess that's the biggest selling point, but I still play a lot on xbox too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

After owning all 3 current gen consoles, my advice is for you to game on PC. If you have to go with a console however I would pick a 360.

Trevor451 wrote: »
    After owning all 3 current gen consoles, my advice is for you to game on PC. If you have to go with a console however I would pick a 360.

Given the thread title

5ptm.jpg

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

EnterNow wrote: »
    360, it's just better :)

PC is just better! :D

PC is just better! :D

Well I know that but the OP gave us clear choices, 360 or PS3 ;):p

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Well I know that but the OP gave us clear choices, 360 or PS3 ;):p

OP did answer his question in his own post:

1. He played a lot on xbox 360
    2. All of his mates got xbox 360

DONE! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    xbox, better for games, better joypad, better online, better user interface

ps3- better multimedia, blu ray, streaming, web browser etc, games not exactly bad either and if you are a casual user, free online gaming is the way to go!

Bolded section is just wrong and the underlined parts are purely subjective.

If your friends have 360's then your probably better off going for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Bolded section is just wrong and the underlined parts are purely subjective.

If your friends have 360's then your probably better off going for that.

how so? the 360 joypad is fantastic where as the dual shock design hasnt been changed since the ps1 and aches in your hands if played for too long. also, the user interface is better and more entertaining than the ps3 which is too dry for my liking.

as a jack of all trades, i think the ps3 wins but for gaming, it goes to the 360 mainly for the joypad and much better online gaming, graphics are arguably nicer on 360 too, more colourful.

anyway, op has answered his own question, got to be 360 as he can play his mates and has enjoyed the console already before.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A lot of my mates have an Xbox.
    Thats honestly the winning argument. Friends are the only reason I regularly reconsider buying a console. Most of them dont game on the PC, even though thats what I do. If you're all on XBL it becomes nice and social.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

You can get loads of *friends" on the PSN and it has free online play so I would say PS3.. Also on a side not why is the XBOX online so much better?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

jay-me wrote: »
    You can get loads of *friends" on the PSN
    Not really the same thing as multiplayer with people you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Overheal wrote: »
    Not really the same thing as multiplayer with people you know.

Nobody I know IRL has a headset or uses it if they do.. So haven't been too bothered by this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ProfessorWeeto

Some good points said so far for you op. Here is some more:

- Illregardless of the 360 not having a blu-ray player. Both have really good media players. Insert a usb stick into either and both will play a vast number of different file formats.

- Putting online gaming and the fact that one is free while one is a subscription aside. 'XBOX Live' wins hands down over the 'Playstation network'. More demos, More arcade games. It just has more content.

- Maybe its just me but the 360 controller works better with First person shooter games than the ps3 does.

- How to put this ;) Op if you are the type of person who is likely to go about getting games a ... 'dishonest way' the xbox 360 is capable of 'facilitating' this. Ps3 is not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

On the subject of joypads, personally I find the xbox controller much better, I feel the PS3 controller is too small or something.

• Advertisement

Xbox controller is good for fps, but **** fighting games

Ps3 controller has very ****y triggers so bad for fps, but very good for fighting ges due to proper directional pad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement