Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a console, Xbox360 or PS3???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Thanks for all the posts. I was leaning towards to xbox because my mates have them and now I'm def going for one. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be missing out with the PS3. I can live without a bluray player. I have "other means" :D of watching these movies and I might buy one in the future.

Cheers,

Dapos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

If your friends have an Xbox OP then go with that, ye can swap games and play online together aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Having owned both i would lean more towards Ps3 but thats just personal preference. I would agree with those who said go along with what your mates have, you can get the lend of games off them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ps3 controller has very ****y triggers so bad for fps, but very good for fighting ges due to proper directional pad.

Good for tekken and MK, still awful for street fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Good for tekken and MK, still awful for street fighter.

I am not looking at it from so called "professional" view. Just from someone who wants to play fighting games now and then, Xbox controller is awefull for fighting games! And I speak as a pure armature of the most noobish cast of fighting gamers :)

• Advertisement

Go with the Xbox. At least when you give Microsoft your details they are kept secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nobody has mentioned that the PS3 is the only console to support 3D gaming at the moment. If you have a 3D TV it might be something to consider.

Having both, i do play the 360 more, but i prefer the PS3. It's all about preference. Xbox has a more stable (but subscription based) online, PS3 can have the better graphics in certain titles, you have to look at exclusives for each (inFamous, Little Big Planet, Gears of War, Forza, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, etc).

But, as many have said before me, if you've played mainly xbox then i'd go with that. Also, xbox has a better back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Being a Sony fanboy since the PS1 I am more biased towards the PS3. So my opinion might not matter at all.

I own PS3, Xbox, (and a PC which is the best ;):D). My favourite console though is the PS3. I just prefer it. I really hate the Xbox Controller, and its probably because I've been playing with the dualshock controller for like 13 years is why I prefer that one.

PS3 also has a browser, Netflix, LOVEFILM, Hulu I think, it also has RTE Player, and 4oD apps built in which work great.

I also prefer the playstation community. Because of party chat on the Xbox, absolutely nobody ever uses their mics in-game. Everybody is in party chat, which makes it very hard to meet new people, and make new friends which is something I love, I made so many friends on the playstation, good friends that I still talk to a few years later, whereas on the Xbox I have not added a single person other than school friends and some people from forums.

If you are a die hard COD player Xbox is probably better for you.

PS3 has better, bigger variety of exclusives. Easily. Xbox exclusives are what.. like all FPS games. PS3 has Uncharted, Infamous, LBP, Resistance, Gow. Much better games.

As I said at the start, I'm very biased, can't think of much good stuff to write about the 360 other than party chat, which as I stated, has big downsides too.

@Above, HOW DARE YOU GET LITTLE BIG PLANETS NAME WRONG! BEST GAME EVAR!! :D But seriously, I love that game so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Go with the Xbox. At least when you give Microsoft your details they are kept secure.
    Myth: no company is impregnable. Just because Xbox Live hasn't been hacked yet, doesn't mean it won't. I feel thats extremely important to point out, as a matter of personal data security.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

@Above, HOW DARE YOU GET LITTLE BIG PLANETS NAME WRONG! BEST GAME EVAR!! :D But seriously, I love that game so much.

I don't even know how i managed to get Island into that... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

With controllers, I'd agree that the Xbox controller fits into your hand better, it's better put together than the PS controller, however it's bigger and I find it more difficult to reach certain buttons when in a hurry, especially the arrow buttons, and it uses up a hell of a lot of batteries, unlike the PS's which come with already built-in rechargeable batteries with a surprisingly long life. The PS controller is smaller, more convienient, it's compact, easier to reach certain buttons. The PS's triggers aren't great - in fps games your fingers can slip off buttons such as R2 + L2 at the worst possible times. However in game shops with console accessories you can get triggers which simply clip on to the L2 and R2 buttons which sort out the slipping of fingers and also enlarge both buttons making them much easier to reach.

PS3s are said to be more reliable - with less overheats and breakdowns than the 360. (but they can still do both if kept in tight dusty corners etc).

I find the 360 menu a lot more confusing than the PS3's. IMO the 360's menu is the equivilant of Facebook's Timeline being more confusing than the original Facebook profiles.

OP, I'd just take into account your budget (Xbox is a little cheaper), what consoles your best mates own, and which console you're more used to. Hope that was of some help.

Gary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

good point there about the xbox menu
    I hadnt turned my xbox on in about a year until last week and it took me about 20 minutes to find the arcade game store, it's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dshamrock2000

I own both and would definatly play the ps3 alot more, and you can upgrade the harddrive in 10 mins, i swapped my 60gb one out for a terabyte last month, so memory isnt a problem :D, id try and buy one of the original ones with back playability as they are the most reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

PC is just better! :D

Yes it is, in theory... in theory communism works. You see yes you get amazing textures, Anti Aliasing better CPU, better graffix card. better everything. until a new game comes out and there's no drivers for it and on top of that you have draconian DRM to deal with. Also you have to have a fairly good computer knowledge to get the best out of it and most of the time its hassle.

Console? put in disk, press X or A and away you go. That is what most people want. efficient gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Xbox controller is good for fps, but **** fighting games

Ps3 controller has very ****y triggers so bad for fps, but very good for fighting ges due to proper directional pad.

Wrong.

The triggers are used for nades and **** on PS3, and the analogs are much better on PS3. Defo a preference thing, but for me PS3 pad is better for shooters. Some people don't like the size of the controller, never been a problem for me tho (xxl glove size). Still ****e compared to a keyboard and mouse ofc.. but quite decent for something slow with tons of aim assist like CoD.

P.S. These threads are super fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Magill wrote: »
    Wrong.

The triggers are used for nades and **** on PS3, and the analogs are much better on PS3. Defo a preference thing, but for me PS3 pad is better for shooters. Some people don't like the size of the controller, never been a problem for me tho (xxl glove size). Still ****e compared to a keyboard and mouse ofc.. but quite decent for something slow with tons of aim assist like CoD.

P.S. These threads are super fun.

The analog sticks being right beside each other must surely be a hindrance? Played a PS3 in a friends house recently (have previously religiously played my PS1 and PS2 and indeed the PSP when it was first released) and the controller felt very unnatural after using the xbox's for the last few years. The xbox controller seems to be better designed to be comfortable in peoples hands...

Liam O wrote: »
    The analog sticks being right beside each other must surely be a hindrance? Played a PS3 in a friends house recently (have previously religiously played my PS1 and PS2 and indeed the PSP when it was first released) and the controller felt very unnatural after using the xbox's for the last few years. The xbox controller seems to be better designed to be comfortable in peoples hands...

It's purely subjective, i have small hands so the PS3 controller's size isn't a hinderance to me, and because the analog sticks are symetrical i find it better for some games, also it doesnt need batteries, better d-pad also.

the xbox pad has a better weight and feel, and triggers are better

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

On the PC you get to choose whether you want the PS3, 360 controller, Joystick, Keyboard and Mouse, Steering Wheel....

point being there is a lot more going on than the controls. Any controller can get grown accustom to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Nobody has mentioned that the PS3 is the only console to support 3D gaming at the moment. If you have a 3D TV it might be something to consider.

Black ops on the xbox definitely has 3D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Xbox exclusives are what.. like all FPS games
    Being a Sony fanboy

Ya don't say :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Yes it is, in theory... in theory communism works. You see yes you get amazing textures, Anti Aliasing better CPU, better graffix card. better everything. until a new game comes out and there's no drivers for it and on top of that you have draconian DRM to deal with. Also you have to have a fairly good computer knowledge to get the best out of it and most of the time its hassle.

Console? put in disk, press X or A and away you go. That is what most people want. efficient gaming.

Communism is awesome. I grew up with it. Same as pc it has more myth and **** paddlers, them truth said ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

OP, ignore everyone on this thread except the people that said the xbox cos most of your mates have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Honestly I've had an xbox and then a ps3. There is no difference in online, well certainly not enough to warrant €60 a year.
    I'm terms of better games, the ps3 has them along with the best graphics (see uncharted 3, gt5, killzone etc).
    They have loads of exclusives whereas the xbox has 1-2 a year with no variety outside of the shooter genre (call of duty and battlefield are identical on ps3)
    I'm really happy with my ps3 and use the blu ray player very frequently and its less clutter than having a console and a stand alone blu ray player.
    The ps3 also works out to be cheaper as the online,accessories etc stack up to be more expensive on the xbox.
    At the end of the day its up to you but the ps3 will make the very most of that 40" tv and you will not be left wanting if you bought it over the xbox.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I have an xbox but i mostly play on PC. Feels fcking retarded to have to pay money to play online to play just one game, even though i already own the console and the game. Wish i had a ps3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Spunge wrote: »
    I have an xbox but i mostly play on PC. Feels fcking retarded to have to pay money to play online to play just one game, even though i already own the console and the game. Wish i had a ps3.

Yeah I was the same way. I had an xbox but got so bored of it because there were no games coming out and anything the xbox could do, the ps3 could do it and much more.
    I'm very happy with my ps3 and I'm even thinking of getting a 3dtv so I've saved €200 by not having to buy a 3D Blu ray player. It just keeps on giving!:D

Another thing I hate about the xbox is that you have to pay for online, yet if you want to subscribe to netflix thats extra again! WTF am I paying for with xbox live?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

1ZRed wrote: »
    WTF am I paying for with xbox live?

an extension on bill gates' gaf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

we've got both
    i'd say
    gaming adv xbox
    video +netflix adv ps3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ProfessorWeeto

1ZRed wrote: »
    Another thing I hate about the xbox is that you have to pay for online, yet if you want to subscribe to netflix thats extra again! WTF am I paying for with xbox live?

Yeah it kinda sucks the way you have to pay to play online. Whilst the psn is free.

And netflix is a joke on xbox 360 when you think about it. You need xbox live gold to look at it, even tho netflix is its own subscription too :rolleyes: Even youtube is the same on xbox. But least its good quality videos. PS3 web browser is the sh*ts... lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

oh its this thread again.

I have both, I prefer the ps3 for some games, the xbox for others, I know more people who play online on ps3 so thats my first preference. imo the ps3 is a better media console, you have way more control over the audio/visual aspects and the xmb is faster to open stuff from a seperate hard drive, plus the blu-ray drive.

both have great exclusives, at the mo I prefer the ps3 ones. but its entirely subjective.

• Advertisement

1st generation PS3 was far superior to 1st generation Xbox360, if they were released at the same time, i'd say more people would have bought the PS3 hands down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement