Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a console, Xbox360 or PS3???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Crosáidí wrote: »
    1st generation PS3 was far superior to 1st generation Xbox360, if they were released at the same time, i'd say more people would have bought the PS3 hands down
    Ok but this is 2012, who still cares about that? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Another note for the PS3, you can buy skins for them which add size and customisable weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Didn't OP already decided to go for Xbox? I wonder how long this thread will drag, before first blood. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I have both. PS3 gathers dust in between the odd blu-ray outing.

I echo the controller concensus too - xbox is infinitely more comfortable to use for longer periods - especially where both thumb sticks are necessary.
    1st generation PS3 was far superior to 1st generation Xbox360, if they were released at the same time, i'd say more people would have bought the PS3 hands down

A year is a long time in technology. Had they been released at the same time it is logical to think there would have been nothing between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

A year is a long time in technology. Had they been released at the same time it is logical to think there would have been nothing between them.

Microsoft tried to get you to buy extras after buying the console like HDD, wireless adaptor, plug and charge kit
    These were standard with the PS3 plus backwards compatibilty, card readers, could run another OS and a blu-ray player (which at the time wasn't significant in terms of movies but a disc can hold at least 25GB, so no games across multiple discs)

• Advertisement

Microsoft tried to get you to buy extras after buying the console like HDD, wireless adaptor, plug and charge kit
    These were standard with the PS3 plus backwards compatibilty, card readers, could run another OS and a blu-ray player (which at the time wasn't significant in terms of movies but a disc can hold at least 25GB, so no games across multiple discs)

Like I said. A year is a long time in technology.

HDD prices dropped
    Wifi adapters became smaller, inexpensive
    Backwards compatibility was present for many xbox games so I don't know what your point is there.
    Getting off the couch to change a disc is probably an added health benefit and prevents deep vein thrombosis so the Xbox is healthier too.

We can argue back and forth but Sony had a year to improve their console above and beyond what the 360 was capable of and in the end the consoles are practically inseperable.

This is largely due to Sony's insistence on pushing their cell-chip which held more potential but was too difficult to be made the most of by developers. There's a reason Sony is going to back to traiditional architecture in the next generation.

The PS3 is a great machine, no doubt about it. The inclusion of Bluray is a huge selling point but when it boils down to comparing them as a game console the 360 edges it despite (or perhaps because of) the extra year Sony had to design and develop the PS3.

The PS3 is a great machine, no doubt about it. The inclusion of Bluray is a huge selling point but when it boils down to comparing them as a game console the 360 edges it despite (or perhaps because of) the extra year Sony had to design and develop the PS3.

Is this because you own an xbox, I have both and PS3 is superior in my eyes, better build quality, better graphics on exclusive titles e.g. naughty dog games, free online play, you buy a ps3 and it doesnt ask you to shell out more money to get the most out of it

Is this because you own an xbox, I have both and PS3 is superior in my eyes, better build quality, better graphics on exclusive titles e.g. naughty dog games, free online play, you buy a ps3 and it doesnt ask you to shell out more money to get the most out of it

Read my first post above again please.

Read my first post above again please.

I did the PS3 had better build quality, less of them ended up as doorstops, xbox has chunky ac adaptor aswell

You obviously missed the first line where I said I had both.

And arguing about the ac adaptor? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

If I were buying a console now, I would get the PS3, for several reasons:

- it has more exclusives titles [and better titles IMO]
    - free online play
    - Blu-Ray player

More subjective reasons:

- better controller [I have grown up with the Dualshock so I love it]
    - better interface [the XMB is clean and clear whereas the new 360 menus are confusing and seem to hide all the things I used to use]

The differences are minor between both, so whichever one you get you will have a great console. However, based on the differences, the PS3 is the better option IMO.

You obviously missed the first line where I said I had both.

And arguing about the ac adaptor? Seriously?

Well xboxes broke down because of inefficient cooling system (fans & heat sinks)
    now that stuff is not exactly cutting edge technology, is it? They actually had to extend the GPU heatsink in later models
    Yeah even with the AC adaptor outside the box they still overheated and noisy as ****, mine sounds like a 747 taking off after an hr of gaming

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Going to close this before it goes out of control. OP has come to their conclusion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement