Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't know where to go on J-1, any recommendations?

Options
  • 07-04-2012 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I decided only today that I'm going to do the J-1 this summer, as there is just no summer work in this country and its just so bleak here (as I'm sure many of you know haha!) I will most likely be going alone, but does anyone have any recommendations on destinations?
    I'm thinking New York because I've always wanted to go there, but there's also the temptation of somewhere in California, maybe San Francisco or Sacramento.
    Also, to anyone that has done the J-1 before, is it easy to make friends over there? I'm kinda worried that I might be alone all summer LOL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Andrew Purfield

droplit wrote: »
    I decided only today that I'm going to do the J-1 this summer, as there is just no summer work in this country and its just so bleak here (as I'm sure many of you know haha!) I will most likely be going alone, but does anyone have any recommendations on destinations?
    I'm thinking New York because I've always wanted to go there, but there's also the temptation of somewhere in California, maybe San Francisco or Sacramento.
    Also, to anyone that has done the J-1 before, is it easy to make friends over there? I'm kinda worried that I might be alone all summer LOL

Not much work in America either. My sister is emigrating there just for a short term music contract cos she's more on the yank side of the family(I think she's mental to be honest-typical of some people I knew back home who think it's a fairyland). From what family in pennsylvania and NYC say it's worse than Ireland! Plenty of work and a good lifestyle in Europe. Learn another language. I'm off to Germany for the summer. If you want to find an english speaking job try Canada, OZ or NZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm going to San Diego OP. But what the poster above said is apparently true. I think some people are in for a shock. From talking to family and friends, some part of America are as bad as here. I'm sort of lucky that I have at least a few leads for jobs. I'd certainly try and get an interview before you go over.

Saying that, if you stay to extremely touristy places for seasonal work you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

There are severely economically depressed part of the United States but there's also parts that aren't, it's larger than Europe, lumping the entire country into one category is silly.

Places like New York City and Chicaog are always going to have work due to their size. Other places in the US weathering the recession well are the Pacific Northwest, Texas, North Carolina and Virgina and Washington DC for example.
    Pennsylvania and Southern California are both doing extremely badly so probably worth avoiding if you can. The Bay Area is a lot better off than LA at the minute though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Plenty of work and a good lifestyle in Europe. Learn another language. I'm off to Germany for the summer. If you want to find an english speaking job try Canada, OZ or NZ?

Europe is a huge place and there isn't plenty of work in it. Spain, Italy, Belgium and even France are all in pretty bad shape. Germany, Scandinavia and Netherlands are doing better admittedly but someone going on a J1 isn't really in the same market for work as someone going to Australia or Germany to be honest.

On the English Speaking thing your chances of landing a job in the US are a hell of a lot higher than New Zealand or Canada unless you want to spend your life working in mines or on oil rigs.

Advertisement