Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Needed

• 07-04-2012 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

HI i have a renault megane 04 and when i accelerate fully the revs never goes past number 2 on the gauge and it feels like the car has lost all its power.

Any ideas anyone please and thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

jason2501 wrote: »
    HI i have a renault megane 04 and when i accelerate fully the revs never goes past number 2 on the gauge and it feels like the car has lost all its power.

that means 2,000 revs per minute, if you didnt know,

if its a petrol id check the spark plugs and leads/coil, had the same problem a while back, changed both coil pack and plugs and running perfect again,

diesel, could be glow plugs and leads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

i think thats lump mode, lump to garage mode, get diagnostics done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Do you have an engine warning light/service warning light on the dash too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Mar4ix wrote: »
    i think thats lump mode, lump to garage mode, get diagnostics done.

could be, but its limp mode i think isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

ya could be gone into "lump mode" alright:pac:
    and if its a diesel you will have to check the leads:pac::D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jason2501

lump mode??

Yes the orange light is on the dash board thinks its the engine one.

And its also petrol.

Do you have an engine warning light/service warning light on the dash too?

yes i do

the usual thing with them is coils or o2 sensor.
    have you any tools?

TURRICAN wrote: »
    the usual thing with them is coils or o2 sensor.
    have you any tools?

yes i have a few tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If it is a petrol, it is very likely these are coils. There are four, pencil type coils. Easily accesible, and also very easy to check.
    From experience Renault dealer wanted over 90E for one. I got for for around 35E from Ebay, and serve me well so far.
    You may need to check spark plugs too, as they may have died, too.
    I checked them by unplugging separate coils with engine running, if there was no difference in engine running, that coil was faulty. Friend of mine had 2 gone at the very same time on his way from Dublin to Naas, not a nice drive...
    PS not sure if this is proper way of checking them, but it worked for me...

• Advertisement

you can try this.
    get a 10 mm socket and extension quarter inch(small SIZE)
    then open your bonnet and look for 4 round grey or black tops size of a 2 euro coin.
    down by the side of these there will be a 10 mm bolt holding the coils in place.
    loosen all these bolts completly.
    with the engine running grab the coils 1 by 1 and lift them up about 1 inch or more.
    if you lift one and the engine goes to cut out that coil is ok.put it back and move on to the next one.
    you may come across one which has no effect on the engine when you lift it up.that coil then needs to be replaced.

if you can manage that u just saved 80 quid on labour.
    coils are about 40 each.
    keep posting:)

Actually, instead of moving them up, you can use the plugs, easily accessible, and less hassle. I will try to get the picture for you, altough, i am not sure if 2004 setup is the same as in my 2000 older unit. I assume you have 1.4 - most meganes in Ireland, for some reason are equipped with this engine.

wonski wrote: »
    Actually, instead of moving them up, you can use the plugs, easily accessible, and less hassle. I will try to get the picture for you, altough, i am not sure if 2004 setup is the same as in my 2000 older unit. I assume you have 1.4 - most meganes in Ireland, for some reason are equipped with this engine.

it wont be the same.

It uses the same coils, and looks pretty much the same, so thought it could be the same. Just a guess. Moving up the coils is a good idea anyway, takes only seconds for each. Hope OP gets this checked and let us know...

went out and checked the car last night, checked the coils and guess what yes the coil was the problem just one of them so going to get one for 35e today.

Thank you to all who posted and i would say i have saved alot of money.

Thank You again

Common problem on these cars, let us know when you replace it if it fixed. I was wondering, since you have engine light on your dash, do you have to reset it, or it just goes away when the coil is replaced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

went out and checked the car last night, checked the coils and guess what yes the coil was the problem just one of them so going to get one for 35e today.

Should be able to do better than that. GSF do them for around €25.

What is GSF?

Renault dealer in Naas price was 94E/piece more than 1 year ago, so 25-35 sounds reasonable. I had 4 for 35E delivered from UK, so the prices are different, so are the coils. Sagem ones seem to be bad, BERU are a little better - so the internet says. I still keep 2 in my car, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

There are numerous different brands available, some are shyte, some better then factory.

Advertisement