Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our National Team... the fuuu?!

Options
  • 07-04-2012 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭

My god.

I haven't gone near the offsite in an age, but... how the hell did Greyhound get the National Manager job!?!

Did someone go "well, he applies for it every year, let's give it to him sure."

I'm baffled.

Only noticed it due to an U20s election thread. Wow. Had to check to make sure. Wow.

Also, this makes sense why we keep seeming to lose. I don't normally pay any attention to non-club level antics, but I did catch a glimpse of far too many fails. Oh my.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Didn't realise there was so much fun being had in the senior team forum! I generally just follow the U-20's progress but the seniors have dropped to 11th in the world with this fella in charge. We used to be a force at senior level didn't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

corny wrote: »
    Didn't realise there was so much fun being had in the senior team forum! I generally just follow the U-20's progress but the seniors have dropped to 11th in the world with this fella in charge. We used to be a force at senior level didn't we?

That's what made me pay attention. Apparently we've dropped from 2nd in the world to 11th!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

once he's gone im sure we'll get right back up to the top of the mountain again. We have a really strong young squad coming through.

in the mean time break out the popcorn and enjoy the drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

once he's gone im sure we'll get right back up to the top of the mountain again. We have a really strong young squad coming through.

in the mean time break out the popcorn and enjoy the drama!

thats if they dont get pissed off and stop training like. i know jp has stopped training oxbig or he had for awhile so if the most dedicated manager in ireland cant be persuaded who can?

seanand wrote: »
    thats if they dont get pissed off and stop training like. i know jp has stopped training oxbig or he had for awhile so if the most dedicated manager in ireland cant be persuaded who can?

Eh...me, for one. And its not a matter of persuasion, just start thinking long term. You could have a player in the NT for 8-10 seasons, GH is only gonna be there for another one.

JP stopped training because Oxbig was dropped for no reason and didn't even get a mail explaining why out of courtesy so stopping the training was understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Bit of a mess, but hopefully a lesson learned. Don't vote for a twat!

Who did vote for him? I mean, every year he comes along and runs a very offensive campaign, and he doesn't interact with the off-site, so it's not a case of popularity.

I don't really get stopping training of an NT player. Surely it's still in the clubs interest to have an amazing player?

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Who did vote for him? I mean, every year he comes along and runs a very offensive campaign, and he doesn't interact with the off-site, so it's not a case of popularity.

I don't really get stopping training of an NT player. Surely it's still in the clubs interest to have an amazing player?

i didnt anyway id say most of his votes didnt come from the community and div1 manager won it for him.

most clubs are happy with 120kcsr guys why have one 300k guy or 2 150k?

also to answer you johonny jps guy wasnt the only guy to get dropped for worse players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Hadn't realised it was going so pete thong. knew he was manager but busy these days so barely log into the offsite so lost track of results.

Wow - he must feel a dope for all his smack talk over the campaigns!!

i didnt anyway id say most of his votes didnt come from the community and div1 manager won it for him.

most clubs are happy with 120kcsr guys why have one 300k guy or 2 150k?

also to answer you johonny jps guy wasnt the only guy to get dropped for worse players

Cause the 300k guy is a terrifying beast that wins matches all on his own, like Jonah Lomu :pac:
    eoferrall wrote: »
    Hadn't realised it was going so pete thong. knew he was manager but busy these days so barely log into the offsite so lost track of results.

Wow - he must feel a dope for all his smack talk over the campaigns!!

Yeah, on his page there's a guestbook message from one of the guys who runs the site, basically telling him there is no way to quit the NT job mid-campaign and to deal with the issues within the community! HAH!

• Advertisement

Just looking at the records there, Greyhound beat CClampett by 2 votes. Loads of one vote nonsense going around, a few 3 votes. Seems everyone had their hat in last time.

also to answer you johonny

i didnt ask a question :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

Who did vote for him?

I'll admit that I voted for him...

Looking back I thought that he would have a better chance than Clampett, as he was longer in the game...

Hah, I wonder did I vote for him, as a pisstake loike. Oh god. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

It's a complete joke to be honest, he just hasn't a clue when it comes to tactics and scouting!!!

Phonehead wrote: »
    It's a complete joke to be honest, he just hasn't a clue when it comes to tactics and scouting!!!

How is he a div 1 manager if he doesn't have those skills though?

I can see how people without a clue voted for him, based on his "my team is better than your team" argument.

i didnt ask a question :confused:
    i didnt say you did but i answered your statement

How is he a div 1 manager if he doesn't have those skills though?

I can see how people without a clue voted for him, based on his "my team is better than your team" argument.

It doesn't take much to get to division 1 by doing what he does, buy 30+ age players for 500k or 600k at a pop and then sell and buy next season. He has no Coaches/no facilities, nothing that costs money. His method gets you a team of 100-130k CSR palyers but over time most teams who buy and build young will pass him out.. it's kind of like running a marathon, he has emptied the tank by half way where most other teams will eventually easily pass by him as he can never afford to buy the players to match what we are developing.

Phonehead wrote: »
    It doesn't take much to get to division 1 by doing what he does, buy 30+ age players for 500k or 600k at a pop and then sell and buy next season. He has no Coaches/no facilities, nothing that costs money. His method gets you a team of 100-130k CSR palyers but over time most teams who buy and build young will pass him out.. it's kind of like running a marathon, he has emptied the tank by half way where most other teams will eventually easily pass by him as he can never afford to buy the players to match what we are developing.

My god! That's a genius strategy! Finally I've found a way to beat Mauling Bear!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

My god! That's a genius strategy! Finally I've found a way to beat Mauling Bear!

but so unfulfilling, how could you do it? Your team has no personality. Its just real madrid. It couldn't work long term

• Advertisement

ajeffares wrote: »
    but so unfulfilling, how could you do it? Your team has no personality. Its just real madrid. It couldn't work long term

Yeah, but you get to crap talk with the rest of the managers, saying how you're the greatest. Ah no, I'm content truckin' away in Div 3, trying to take my chances with my plucky team. Never bought a player over 20k, don't think I'm gonna start.

... of course I just sold a few lads, so, tempted to get one 36 year old beast! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭cclampett

satory wrote: »
    I'll admit that I voted for him...

Looking back I thought that he would have a better chance than Clampett, as he was longer in the game...
    hadn't been on here in ages so just reading this now, but yeah, seems that was the problem, by playing longer he could claim experience.
    reality was that he had zero experience when it came to the NT's
    i was kinda assuming people realised that 2 seasons of NT experience and closely following the u20's for a few seasons was worth more than a couple of seasons of just club experience, and that by being involved in more games per week a manager can gain two or three times the experience per season that another manager will gain.
    have to say, i'm beginning to enjoy just sticking to the club side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

cclampett wrote: »
    hadn't been on here in ages so just reading this now, but yeah, seems that was the problem, by playing longer he could claim experience.
    reality was that he had zero experience when it came to the NT's
    i was kinda assuming people realised that 2 seasons of NT experience and closely following the u20's for a few seasons was worth more than a couple of seasons of just club experience, and that by being involved in more games per week a manager can gain two or three times the experience per season that another manager will gain.
    have to say, i'm beginning to enjoy just sticking to the club side of things

Are you going to run next time round?

I think this fiasco has shown that people should not base it on club experience. should be based on knowledge of the game demonstrated in the club lounge as was previously the case until GH broke people down and he eventually got a shot and now has singlehandedly ruinned the irish NT for his tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Ha, its only gotten worse tonight. Appears he breached a WNWIM agreement with Scotland coach...

http://br-ireland.forumakers.com/t2997p30-ireland-v-scotland

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/global.clubrooms.php#conversation=42598&z=6347

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

crisco10 wrote: »
    Ha, its only gotten worse tonight. Appears he breached a WNWIM agreement with Scotland coach...

http://www.blackoutrugby.com/game/global.clubrooms.php#conversation=42598&z=6347

Seems to me all involved are taking this game far too seriously. "treachorous in the extreme" is how it was described!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭cclampett

eoferrall wrote: »
    Are you going to run next time round?

I think this fiasco has shown that people should not base it on club experience. should be based on knowledge of the game demonstrated in the club lounge as was previously the case until GH broke people down and he eventually got a shot and now has singlehandedly ruinned the irish NT for his tenure.
    if i was running again it would be in Canada, though the grapevine says mouse is inerested in the ireland job

club experience in itself is fine even, as long as there's been some previous interest in following the NT and some sign of actively seeking out advice on anything in the past that would show a candidate is willing to learn what's needed
    experience comes down to total games, say if you have been sharing advice with a mate and following their games as well, then that adds up to extra game exp. following the NT is prob worth a tad more imo, as i know if id got the job when GH did i had a massive start on knowing the opposition teams and the irish team, havent been brave enough to follow any nt scene since so i dont have a clue now
    id also have an inclination towards voting for someone that doesnt leave yellow marks in the questions lounge or suggestions lounge - it's a massive help to be educated on and prepared for game changes

and one big thing - i only ran that time when i started comparing GH's CSR levels to his match stars - shows how well the skill distribution is
    and comparing match star ratings to results - shows how competant the manager generally is with tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

corny wrote: »

Seems to me all involved are taking this game far too seriously. "treachorous in the extreme" is how it was described!

There is a bit of that. I think people just don't like gh and are taking the opportunity to jump on his back.

There is a bit of that. I think people just don't like gh and are taking the opportunity to jump on his back.

took the first chance i got and id do it again :D

Breaking an intensity agreement is pretty poor though. I know I'd be out for blood if someone did it around here :)

• Advertisement

Well there is a reason why many of the older managers dislike him, one reason could be due to how he conducted himself when the Dutch were in town. I think at one stage he wanted apartheid, claiming the Dutch had no right to vote or run for office. It may always have been the WNWIM agreements he broke in the past!

Advertisement