Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supplement for show calfs

• 07-04-2012 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

There is a lad i know that has a Smashing Pedigree Calf only 8 weeks at moment and Still inside, He asked me about giving the calf a few supplements to improve his growth rate and Condition.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

essgee268 wrote: »
    There is a lad i know that has a Smashing Pedigree Calf only 8 weeks at moment and Still inside, He asked me about giving the calf a few supplements to improve his growth rate and Condition.:confused:
    did he :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

Sorry was in rush writing above, would anyone have any ideas what supplements to give calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭ceannfort

check out natural nutrition they have a range of products for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

essgee268 wrote: »
    Sorry was in rush writing above, would anyone have any ideas what supplements to give calf

I used vitamin/mineral pellets by Mayo Healthcare for calves last year , but i should have done a batch with and a batch without to see was there an improvement .
    Im not quite sure were they that useful :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Giving additional vitamins/minerals is only of benefit to cattle (or humans for that matter) if they are lacking in those vitamins in the first place.

It's tail up and out it comes otherwise as the body can't store the surplus ;)

On the subject of 'growth improvers' :rolleyes: had a random unannounced inspection from a dept vet at the time of our herd test a few weeks ago. Took urine samples. Our own vet said it was a random inspection for growth promoters. Anyone else get a visit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

Muckit wrote: »
    Giving additional vitamins/minerals is only of benefit to cattle (or humans for that matter) if they are lacking in those vitamins in the first place.

It's tail up and out it comes otherwise as the body can't store the surplus ;)

On the subject of 'growth improvers' :rolleyes: had a random unannounced inspection from a dept vet at the time of our herd test a few weeks ago. Took urine samples. Our own vet said it was a random inspection for growth promoters. Anyone else get a visit?

Iv never even heard of cattle being tested for growth hormones or similar supplements ...... well at least not in the last 15 years or so:rolleyes:.
    Is that common out your way???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Iv never even heard of cattle being tested for growth hormones or similar supplements ...... well at least not in the last 15 years or so:rolleyes:.
    Is that common out your way???

No first time ever we had someone. He didn't say himself what he was up to. Twas our own vet that made out that was what he was doing.

Advertisement