Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Boxes ? cheapest shop in Dublin ?

Options
  • 07-04-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering does anyone know where I might get a cheap Saorview set top box ? Preferably a shop somewhere in Dublin. I know some of the supermarkets (Aldi and Lidl) were doing them a few months ago and I missed buying one then. So maybe someone might know are there any bargains around for these boxes.

Thanks , cheers, Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

mikedublin wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering does anyone know where I might get a cheap Saorview set top box ? Preferably a shop somewhere in Dublin. I know some of the supermarkets (Aldi and Lidl) were doing them a few months ago and I missed buying one then. So maybe someone might know are there any bargains around for these boxes.

Thanks , cheers, Mike
    The bargain base outlet in santry had them there on thursday i'm nearly sure along with camping sattelite systems. Bargain base is where lidl sell returned or unsold special buys that have been retested and repaired and are quality assured.
    maybe someone else could confirm them have them or they are contactable by phone before travelling there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

xtra-vision are advertising one for €49, not sure if its any good tho

http://www.xtra-vision.ie/electronic/TVStar-T1010

• Registered Users Posts: 35,101 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lidl will have the Akura saorview box for 54.99 from Thursday 19th.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-C7DE3B77-AB3E9826/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_20022.htm

Does this record - it has a USB port but the website (or Lidl's weekly offers booklet) doesn't say it can record. Thought this was in the Terrestrial forum, I'll ask there...

On searching through the Terrestrial forum, it appears this box can't record at all which makes it not really a bargain, especially as it was 49.99 last time it was on sale!!!

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭PammyD

www.tvtrade.ie

Try these guys either. Not in Dublin but u can order online... Good prices

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ninja900 wrote: »
    Lidl will have the Akura saorview box for 54.99 from Thursday 19th.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-C7DE3B77-AB3E9826/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_20022.htm

Does this record - it has a USB port but the website (or Lidl's weekly offers booklet) doesn't say it can record. Thought this was in the Terrestrial forum, I'll ask there...

On searching through the Terrestrial forum, it appears this box can't record at all which makes it not really a bargain, especially as it was 49.99 last time it was on sale!!!

It can record,it has a USB port for connection of an external hard drive/flash drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,101 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A USB port doesn't mean it can record through it. Some boxes allow playback of media files but not recording.

A poster in the Terrestrial forum emailed Akura, they told him the USB port only allowed the firmware to be updated. No playback, no recording. It's possible there's been a firmware update since then though, but I wouldn't buy a box expecting a recording function unless the seller verfies this before I buy.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

harly normal had them for 59.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dubliner_1

Picked up the Akura AVT8010 at LIDL recently for 55 euros and it records perfectly (standard definition or High Definition- RTE2 HD) to an external hard drive or memory stick/USB thumb etc...memory must be formatted FAT32 and if using an external hard drive, it must be powered (i.e. plugs into the wall).
    Works perfectly. I have several bluray players around the house with USB inputs on the front panel and I can then take my hard drive and watch recordings anywhere I want. Got mine tuned in perfectly to all stations using a 700mm single rabbit ears antenna off an old Phillips portable tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Does it have an epg or decent scheduling recording?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

argos for 49.99, records grand onto usb key, also live pause and all that jazz. Can't change channel whilst recording though,

Does it record to HD?

BostonB wrote: »
    Does it record to HD?

It records in full HD- identical to whatever RTE2 HD shows (720,1080i)...zero loss in quality....or did you mean to ask if it records to a hard drive?

Does it have an epg or decent scheduling recording?

I haven't really explored that tbh...I just ran some tests to make sure it records ok to 4 GB USB and external powered hard drive. I think LIDL has a 60 day no quibble return policy so you could grab one and just return it if you don't like it.

Sorry. No I meant (720,1080i) thanks for the update.

That makes it handy as a "cheap" device simply to give you the recordings in a useful format for a laptop etc.

Good point Re: returns.

Sorry. No I meant (720,1080i) thanks for the update.

That makes it handy as a "cheap" device simply to give you the recordings in a useful format for a laptop etc.

Yeah I'm happy I got one now. I basically just bought it for RTE2 HD which will be great with all the sports in HD this summer.
    Recently both ITV and RTE2 were showing the Barcelona v Chelsea 2nd leg Champions League game in HD. Both looked excellent- live sports in HD is unbeatable but once the game went into overtime, ITV seemed to dumb down the signal- it definetely was not HD...but RTE2 HD kept broadcasting in HD so I just switched channel (from my Freesat to Saorview box)...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 homeb0y

Dubliner_1 wrote: »
    Picked up the Akura AVT8010 at LIDL recently for 55 euros and it records perfectly (standard definition or High Definition- RTE2 HD) to an external hard drive or memory stick/USB thumb etc...memory must be formatted FAT32 and if using an external hard drive, it must be powered (i.e. plugs into the wall).
    Works perfectly. I have several bluray players around the house with USB inputs on the front panel and I can then take my hard drive and watch recordings anywhere I want. Got mine tuned in perfectly to all stations using a 700mm single rabbit ears antenna off an old Phillips portable tv.

Hello D1,

I am using an AKURA AVT8010 purchased last year (2011).

I have a mains powered 1TB (Terabyte) HDD attached, formatted to FAT32, & Movies play without problem from this HDD through the AVT8010.

However this AVT8010 does not seem to have the Record Function/It will not respond to the Record Button suggested in the Menus.

Record is likely not supported in my Firmware Version.

Will u please check the Firmware Version that is installed on ur AVT8010:

Click on "MENU"
    Use Down-Arrow to go to "Setup"
    Click "OK"
    Use Down-Arrow to go to "Configuration"
    Click "OK"
    Use Down-Arrow to go to "Receiver Upgrade"
    (Mine shows "v.8.5", before I click into it)
    Click "OK"
    Use Down-Arrow to go to "Scan for upgrade"
    Click "OK"
    (Mine now shows: "This software was built on 2011-05-03 at 14:21:57"
    "Dcf no" indicates: "/0009df/1042.dcf")

What Software Version & Build Date does your's show?

In any event I have been unable to locate Any Firmware for this STB on the Internet.

As far as OTA goes, "Scan for upgrade" will always return "No New software Was Found". - It likely has not been made available there.

Thanks in advance
    hb

homeb0y wrote: »
    Hello D1,

I have a mains powered 1GB HDD attached, formatted to FAT32, & Movies play without problem from this HDD through the AVT8010.

However this AVT8010 does not seem to have the Record Function/It will not respond to the Record Button suggested in the Menus.

Click on "MENU"
    Click "OK"
    Use Down-Arrow to go to "Installation"
    Click "OK"
    Click "OK"
    Click "OK"

In any event I have been unable to locate Any Firmware for this STB on the Internet.

As far as OTA goes, "Scan for upgrade" will always return "No New software Was Found". - It likely has not been made available there.

Thanks in advance
    hb

Not sure if menu is different on my unit but once I...

"Use Down-Arrow to go to "Installation"
    Click "OK"...

...the next screen did does not show an option for "receiver upgrade"...

I am then given the options for....

Auto Channel Scan
    Manual Search
    Network Search
    Clear Service List
    First Time Installation

Anyway, in the "configuration" menu it shows...

Receiver Upgrade V.8.5
    ("this software was built on 2012-02-21 at 08:01:45")
    Dcf no /0009df/106a.dcf

Did you format in the Saorview unit itself or on a PC?...if so, you could try reformatting to FAT32 on a PC and see that fixes the issue. (note, you will lose all date on HDD)
    If that still does not work you can contact Akura Limited directly in the UK...

tel:- +44 (0)845 293 7698 Mon-Fri 9am-8pm Sat/Sun 10am-4pm Bank Holidays 10am-4pm
    tel:- 02089514323

email:- enquiries@akura.com

You can also find the product on their website and there is an option to ask questions there...
    http://www.akura.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=431&category_id=41&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=89[/url]

homeb0y wrote: »
    Hello D1,

I have a mains powered 1GB HDD attached, formatted to FAT32, & Movies play without problem from this HDD through the AVT8010.

Click on "MENU"
    Click "OK"
    Use Down-Arrow to go to "Installation"
    Click "OK"
    Click "OK"
    Click "OK"

Thanks in advance
    hb

some more info...
    just read thru the user manual...it says to make sure you have most "up to date" software, ensure STB is set to "standby". If an upgrade is available, at 3am each day a transmission will take place. The STB will "wake up" and receive the upgrade automatically. This normally takes up to 3 hours. In the "configuration " menu, scroll down to Receiver upgrade, press OK button and make sure Automatic Scanning is "Enabled"...also try "scan for upgrades"...but always make sure Automatic scanning for upgrades is enabled. Maybe any upgrade is only available at 3am.

Maybe your HDD usb is not supported by the Akura, even though it is able to play back vids, but not record? Have you tried a different removable memory device?...USB 2.0 and fomatted FAT32.

• Advertisement

Thanks D1,

Cannot lay my hand on the Manual atm, so this info. is very welcome.

I seem2remember something about Standby & 3am (now that u mention it) so I will do that.

Have loads of Flash Drives, So will try one of those.

Thanks again,
    hb

Dubliner_1 wrote: »

Not sure if menu is different on my unit but once I...

"Use Down-Arrow to go to "Installation"
    Click "OK"...

...the next screen did does not show an option for "receiver upgrade"...

Hello D1,

My original Post had two errors.

Our Menu Structures are indeed Identical. I used the word "Installation" in error (instead of the correct word "Configuration").

Also I mentioned a 1GB HDD, it should of course have read: 1TB (Terabyte)
    [1GB HDDs were circa 1995 :eek: ]

Now, For Some Good News....

I've since tried a 4GB Flash Drive (formatted to FAT32) and it is Recording onto this. :D

Initially I looked in "Media Browser" where the recording was not invisible.
    When I later copped on enough to look in the "Recordings Library" it was clearly visible there :cool:

I recorded from RTÉ Two HD & the Play-Back Quality is very good.

[These type of recordings are probably always hidden in Media Browser, so as to avoid confusion with any movies, etc. that u may have stored on the drive. When the Flash Drive is viewed via my PC, it can be seen that a Folder called "PVR" has been created in the drive. Contained within this Folder are three Folders: "RECS", "RECSINFO" & "STORAGE", as well as a text document entitled: "README". Recordings are contained within the Folder: "RECS" and are created with the following extension: ".MPEG-TS"]

Should probably re-format and try using the 1TB HDD - once I've removed File Backups from it.

Thanks again for your help,
    hb

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beave

Hey guys, sorry I know this is an oldish tread but, I have movies on a HDD that i would love to play through my Akura 8010 box but it doesn't see the files. I tried .mkv .m4v .mov and .avi, the later is only one that showed up but the player displayed 'unrecognized format' when i pressed OK

I can record onto a flash drive and playback no problem, but it would be great to be able to watched my ripped DVDs too, any ideas?

Thanks guys

Advertisement