Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlin 925m .22wmr???

Options
  • 07-04-2012 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

I was considering buying a rifle and my local gun dealer has a 22wmr Marlin with a set of scopes for €500 second hand. Was wondering how good would it be for foxes and what round should i expect to get best results from? Secondly is the price decent enough? Thanks!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I was considering buying a rifle and my local gun dealer has a 22wmr Marlin with a set of scopes for €500 second hand. Was wondering how good would it be for foxes and what round should i expect to get best results from? Secondly is the price decent enough? Thanks!:D

It depends on the condition of the gun and the brand and mag of the scope.

Second hand I'd expect to pick up a marlin cheaper as they sell new for around 4-500

Will this be a gun just for foxes or will you be shooting a lot of rabbits?

If its a foxing round you are after you should be looking at a .223, .204. 22swift or an older round but would be good for rabbits and foxes is the .22hornet.

The .22mag would be ok on foxes out to 100 yards ish but shot placement is critical and you have much room for error with a rimfire compared to a centre fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

its my first rifle and i was hoping to use it for both rabbits and foxes but more rabbits i would say. The gun looks pretty clean it has a mossy oak camo stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

The .22 magnum has died a death if you ever decide to get rid of it you will have trouble trading it in for something else, gunshops are full of them.

You'ld be better off going for something like a .17HMR, they have really taken over from the .22 wmr. Go for something in a CZ, i have had a marlin and have handled a few CZs and have a CZ527 in .223, the build quality of the CZ is much superior to the Marlin IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

A mate of mine has a marlin in .22wmr not sure what model it is but its forever
    miss-firing. it really depends what scope is on it as to the price but unless its a
    decent scope its not great value at that money . The .17 hmr has taken over
    from it and you would buy a cz new for very little more {depending on scope}
    and if you want to trade in the future any dealer would take a cz in .17 hmr

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Way over-priced at €500! Unless the scope is very good.
    Can be prone to misfiring though no matter what ammo you use. Marlin .17hmr are a great modern calibre and don't misfire. bought a brand new Marlin .17 before Xmas for 380 and is away flatter bullet trajectory then a 22wmr and is better at 100+ then a 22wmr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

If a gun is misfiring - its just that - the gun. It needs to be adjusted. I have shot a lot of 22 magnum in my time - Not sure that I got any misfire. OP - Call the dealer and get a price on .22, .22 Magnum and 17 hmr and then decide exactly what you want to pay every time you pull the trigger. I am old skool - I used .22 and .22 magnum for 99% of my shooting and they did everything asked of them, including foxes. I also used a hornet for foxes exclusively, still a very much underrated round IMHO.
    For anyone starting out, I still recommend a .22 - cheap shooting for rabbits and when you are nice and comfy with that then have a look at the other calibers.

thanks everyone for thier info.:D Im guna go back to the dealer today and price a 17hmr and check the price. i will also check out the scope on the marlin 925m and yous can let me know if its any good when i post back later:D;) But what type of scope should i be looking to get with it AFAIK its telescopic just not sure of the magnification of it :confused:ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

thanks everyone for thier info.:D Im guna go back to the dealer today and price a 17hmr and check the price. i will also check out the scope on the marlin 925m and yous can let me know if its any good when i post back later:D;) But what type of scope should i be looking to get with it AFAIK its telescopic just not sure of the magnification of it :confused:ha ha

Something like a 3-9x magnification would be ideal or even 4-12x
    If your only popping rabbits and the odd fox at close range you dont need big magnification or anything overly expensive. €150 would get you a top of the line rimfire scope that should last as long as the rifle itself if properly looked after.

Id look into getting a .17hmr or a .22lr,
    I just bought a marlin 925 in .22lr and it cost me €300 brand new. Every bit as accurate as my Cz, sure it may be a bit uglier but when I pull the trigger it says "bang" and it always hits where I want ;)!! The .17hmr is way better suited for foxes than the .22lr but the ammunition is generally 3x more expensive. I prefer my .17 because when out bunny bashing I usually come across a fox at night and its nice to have the extra bit of punch if he comes within range.

Its your first rifle, dont listen to people telling you "go for a .223, .204" etc.. those are all dedicated fox calibres. If you have no experience in shooting rifles then start small and work your way up. Its the best way to learn about ballistics and shooting in general.
    You wouldnt jump into 100ft of water if you couldnt swim. . .

ok.... i have decided to go for the 22mag mostly because of the cost of rounds. its my first rifle and i would say i'll be doing alot of target practice and hopefully in the summer i will get a 17hmr for foxing. but i will still find out the magnifcation and name of the scope and hopefully one of you good people can fill me in on how good or poor it is:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

ok.... i have decided to go for the 22mag mostly because of the cost of rounds. its my first rifle and i would say i'll be doing alot of target practice and hopefully in the summer i will get a 17hmr for foxing. but i will still find out the magnifcation and name of the scope and hopefully one of you good people can fill me in on how good or poor it is:D:D:D:D

ive been shooting foxs for years with a magnum and i cant understand why people think they wont kill a fox out past 100 yards. you get this from people that have never fired one. hit them behind the front leg or in the head and down they will go . get a good scope 3 x 12 x50 and bang away . if you buy a good quality scope , it half the battle .

but the guys are right the magnum is slowly becomming a thing of the past. ideal for rabbits and foxs tho .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

was just about to say its way overpriced im selling my marlin 25mn in 22 magnum for 200 euro thats with a scope but no mounts its a nice little scope plenty for rabbits plus ive just completely refurbished the stock so looks brand new :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Most of the advice you've had on here has been not to bother buying the .22 magnum, yet still you've ignored it all and gone off and made the purchase.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If its the same rifle your talking about in the original post for €500 then whatever you save on ammo your going to loose when you try to ge rid of it.

12 months ago I had to practically give a 22 magnum away no dealer was interested in it.

No haven't gone out an bought it yet :s I'm still undecided. Got a few pms telling me that it is good and that a 22 would be fine for what I'm doing, but on the other hand I don't want to be ripped of either. If I was to go for a 17 what model should I go for and what price should I expect to pay without being ripped off, my budget is 500 that's sights and all. P.s I do appreciate all your replies so far thanks. :D

No haven't gone out an bought it yet :s I'm still undecided. Got a few pms telling me that it is good and that a 22 would be fine for what I'm doing, but on the other hand I don't want to be ripped of either. If I was to go for a 17 what model should I go for and what price should I expect to pay without being ripped off, my budget is 500 that's sights and all. P.s I do appreciate all your replies so far thanks. :D

A .22lr will do you fine for rabbits, for foxes it is not suitable unless it comes within a very close range. A .22 magnum is a lot harder hitting and you would want to make sure you only get head shots on rabbits otherwise the meat will be ruined. The .22 magnum is more suited for foxes than a .22lr however you still need good shot placement for a clean kill, but your range is 3x further than that of a .22lr. A .17hmr is very flat shooting and has superb energy for such a small bullet. Like the .22mag you need to get head shots on rabbits as the v-max bullet literally vaporises the meat. It does a lot more damage than a .22mag but is more susceptible to wind. A friend of mine recently bought a Marlin 917v. It came with a Hawke scope mounted for €400 brand new !! I myself have a cz452, I paid €525 for it when .17hmrs first got here a few years ago and I swore the day I got it and still do that Id never get rid of it :D I still have my .22mag but I dont use it near half as much since I got the .17hmr !!

A .22lr will do you fine for rabbits, for foxes it is not suitable unless it comes within a very close range. A .22 magnum is a lot harder hitting and you would want to make sure you only get head shots on rabbits otherwise the meat will be ruined. The .22 magnum is more suited for foxes than a .22lr however you still need good shot placement for a clean kill, but your range is 3x further than that of a .22lr. A .17hmr is very flat shooting and has superb energy for such a small bullet. Like the .22mag you need to get head shots on rabbits as the v-max bullet literally vaporises the meat. It does a lot more damage than a .22mag but is more susceptible to wind. A friend of mine recently bought a Marlin 917v. It came with a Hawke scope mounted for €400 brand new !! I myself have a cz452, I paid €525 for it when .17hmrs first got here a few years ago and I swore the day I got it and still do that Id never get rid of it :D I still have my .22mag but I dont use it near half as much since I got the .17hmr !!

May I ask where you or your friend got them. That seems like a lot better deal than I'm getting :D:D

May I ask where you or your friend got them. That seems like a lot better deal than I'm getting :5:5

Top Gun Sports in Drogheda, the man is a gent to deal with. Always looks after you well if your buying a few bits especially guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

There is veryt little in ammo for the magnum and hmr.
    I pay 15 euro for hornady or remmy v-max and 12.50 for winchester v-max.

The 22mag will be between 12-15 too depending where you get it

Top Gun Sports in Drogheda, the man is a gent to deal with. Always looks after you well if your buying a few bits especially guns.

He would be about 45mins away from me then. It could be worth a trip up on Saturday to see what he has. A friend is buying a shotgun, I'll take him with me and see if we can make a deal between us. Thanks :D

Advertisement