Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband help please..

• 07-04-2012 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Ok folks i have some very basic questions in relation to broadband. Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but i genuinely am in the dark when it comes to the net. Basically, i want to get broadband set up in the apt im renting. I dont want/need a phone and i only need a very basic speed for general internet browsing and email. UPC dont cover my area so i looked into eircom. I thought i spotted a very basic package for €30 a month, but i was wondering do i also need to get line rental on top of that or what? I havent the foggiest about wireless/dialup or modem specs so some help would be greatly appreciated. I suppose my dream package would be a cheap connection without line rental with limitless access and a basic speed. Anybody know were i should start looking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Ok folks i have some very basic questions in relation to broadband. Excuse my ignorance on this subject, but i genuinely am in the dark when it comes to the net. Basically, i want to get broadband set up in the apt im renting. I dont want/need a phone and i only need a very basic speed for general internet browsing and email. UPC dont cover my area so i looked into eircom. I thought i spotted a very basic package for €30 a month, but i was wondering do i also need to get line rental on top of that or what? I havent the foggiest about wireless/dialup or modem specs so some help would be greatly appreciated. I suppose my dream package would be a cheap connection without line rental with limitless access and a basic speed. Anybody know were i should start looking?

There are 3 and a half types of broadband.
    Cable (UPC)
    Phone line
    fixed wireless
    and the half:
    Mobile anything (Imagine wimax/Phone and satellite)
    You can be lucky and get a reasonable service but a system that depends on luck isn't really a good thing.

All prices outlined by the Telcos does *not* usually include line rental which is a further €26.

For broadband with no line rental fixed wireless is often as good if not better than DSL and sometimes worse. Somebody here should be able to point you towards a reasonable fixed wireless provider if you let us know roughly where you are...

Finally there is no such thing as limitless access as all the providers have a cap of some sort, satellite with the worst caps of all, mobile caps are fairly low too and then the fixed wireless providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

hey thanks a mill for all that. Im based in the monkstown area. It sounds like a fixed wireless could be the one im looking for? We have a phone point in the place, just dont hav a need for a landline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

hey thanks a mill for all that. Im based in the monkstown area. It sounds like a fixed wireless could be the one im looking for? We have a phone point in the place, just dont hav a need for a landline.

Most people don't have much need for a fixed line anymore unless it's for broadband.

Digiweb metro is available in Monkstown in Dublin might be worth checking out?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Ok, thanks for the help. I'm checking them out now. You made a few things clear in my head now, cheers.

Have a good weekend.

Advertisement