Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website review - Give2Get.ie

Options
  • 07-04-2012 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback on a new fundraising website called Give2Get.ie.

Can you visit the site let me know what you think of the template and can you easily understand how the site works?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Probably spent 10 seconds looking at the site and still don't know how it works. I read the "What We Do" section and it doesn't explain anything.

Black text on a green background is bad, for a site associated with the visually impaired it should definitely be changed.

The image of the stadium is of a lower resolution than the space requires so it looks stretched.

Logos that use the Irish flag colours tend to look fairly cheap and tacky.

There's nothing on the site to give reassurance that you're a legitimate operation.

There's no info on what % the charity will be getting, or what my chances are of winning.

The information about the prize packages is hidden away, when they should be made obvious since there's much more to the prize than just the tickets themselves.

I would rearrange it such that;

"Competition" is the first page someone is brought to when they click from the home page. This page should have all the info about the competition (how it works, what the prizes are etc). Then the user should be prompted to "Enter the draw" or something, and this brings them to the page where they can buy a ticket.

At the moment you're trying to sell someone a ticket without telling them why they should buy one.

Hope some of that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Put the address on the contact page.

There's mixing of serif and sans serif fonts on pages. They should be consistent.

Considering that the site is about vision issues, the accessibility needs to be much much better.
    • The font resizer doesn't work from page to page. It should be at least cookied or use sessions to remember the size preference.
    • Alt tags for some images are missing.
    • Acronym tags could be used for each acronyms first usage, unless they have been explicitly expanded.
    • The list on the About NCBI page isn't indented. Other lists and some paragraphs could do with more whitespace between items and indentation of sublists for readability.
    • I would have done up a Braille stylesheet for this site too.

Privacy policy is mentioned but not displayed.

The Enter Draw button in the left hand column could stand out more as it gets a bit lost due to the rest of the page having green.

There's somne American spelling being used which should be UK spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

jQuery is in there twice (this is the 3rd of 4th time I've seen this by now, some dodgy wordpress "feature"?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DeclanK

Thanks for all the feedback, I have updated the site template based on your suggestions hopefully it is easier to navigate now.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Now throw all the scripts from the header into the footer. Only scripts that need to run inline should appear at the top.Stuff like $(document).ready(); would only run after the doc loaded anyway, so load all those scripts last! (obviously, load jQuery before these scripts, but still load jQuery near the end of the doc!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

spelling: Gdansk not Gdasnk. - draw 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Improved now IMO.

I would change the logo asap though, it looks terrible. People no longer go for the faux patriotism by having the flag colours in the logo. Looks like something stamped on stuff in the €2 shop, especially with the dropshadow that makes it harder to read. I'd get a professional in to get it right.

The "welcome" text on the front page should be above the Draws section so people know what you're on about first without seeing that you're looking for money at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Looks better.

I'd rename the draws from "draw 1" "draw 2" etc. They're meaningless, something like "Draw 1: Ireland V Croatia" actually describes what it is.

You definitely need to clean up a lot of the graphics, it looks like someone used MS Paint to cut out those crests.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 peagussdog

Hi DeclanK,

Just one point or two. . . . not going to go on about xhtml/css/html etc. I think you need to work on design first. Your website isn't obvious enough. The majority of people who are on the net now are on laptops/netbooks/pads. Your website (excluding the logo) Has no mention of you charity/organistion in the first page on load up! (what you see when page loads). I'm using a Toshiba with a 19" screen (which is large in laptop world/even pc world) i have to scroll down half a page to find out who's running it.

You have to aim now basically to get the message across that you want in the first 5 to 10 lines of text. So having the results of draws so prolific on your front page (which i presume you are using to bring in hits) your missing your own free marketing spot. At the top definetly should be your logo (myself personelly i would change the sides as if they got there they will know the adress). Next should be you news/events/help wanted etc and finally should be the results. Also make it available to take cash of doners through paypal etc. . . This should also be on the front page. Make a point of showing that you are a registered charity and link it to www.revenue.ie/en/business/authorised-charities.html. You gain trust etc . . .

If you want help or a security scan give me a mail. Would be glad to help, great cause!

Paudy

Advertisement