Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toffee pound cake recipe??

Options
  • 07-04-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Does anyone have a recipe for a toffee pound cake? They do a lovely one in my local Super Valu and I'd like to make it at home. I've tried google and found lots of other pound cake recipes but no toffee ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Don't have a recipe, but can tell you nothing you make from real ingredients will replicate that one, most bakeries buy toffee cake mix in huge bags and just add water and sometimes oil. Topping comes in big tub too. Having said that I love it too but don't buy it or I would eat it al, a local bakery uses the same mix to make cupcakes so I treat myself to one of those occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I know I can't replicate the taste exactly but it's inspired me to try and mimic it. I might try a normal pound cake recipe with soft brown sugar instead of caster sugar. Even if it's not the same it'll still be good. Sometimes though there is nothing like that shop bought cake taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

Totally agree, sometimes you can't beat all those tasty chemicals!

I think it is the icing that give that toffee cake the most flavour, the carnation tinned caramel is very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 IsisElektra

soft brown sugar will definitely give you a toffee-ish flavor but I'd use real butter as well for the cake. I've made a cake mix before and added a small can of boiled (in the can for a couple of hours) condensed milk and reduced the egg quantity. it came out quite well

I only ever use real butter. I must try using condensed milk. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Dates seem to be important enough for toffee cakes.
    I have a great recipe for sticky toffee pudding and the cake bit is made with the usual flour, eggs, vanilla etc, but you also boil up some chopped dates in water, and add a bit of bicarbonate of soda to it too.

I can post up the recipe if people are interested.

Please do ElleEm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Ingredients:

• 175g/ 6oz stoned dates, chopped
    • 175ml/ 6oz boiling water
    • 1/5 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
    • 85g/ 3oz butter (plus extra for greasing)
    • 140g/ 5oz caster sugar
    • 1 large egg, beaten
    • 1/5 teaspoon vanilla essence
    • 175g/ 6oz self raising flour
    Toffee Sauce:

• 85g/ 3oz light muscovado sugar
    • 40g/ 1/5 oz butter
    • 2 tablespoons milk

Method

• Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/ 180 degrees C/ 350 degrees F.
    • Grease and line a 20cm/ 8 inch square cake tin.
    • Put the dates in a small pan with the boiling water and bicarbonate of soda. Heat them for about five mins, until soft. Don't boil.
    • Cream together the butter and the sugar in a bowl, until light and fluffy.
    • Beat in the egg, vanilla essence and date mixture.
    • Fold in the flour using a metal spoon. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake in the preheated oven for 40- 45 minutes, or until firm to the touch and it is just starting to shrink away from the sides.
    For the Toffee Sauce

• Combine the muscovado sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan and heat gently til dissolved, for about two mins.
    • Remove the cake from the oven and prick all over the surface with a skewer or fork. Pour the hot toffee sauce evenly over the surface of the cake. Allow to cool then cut into squares.

The recipe says it serves 9, but I think that must be a typo!!!! Wait til you taste it :p

Advertisement