Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax back from working Canada IEC Visa 2011?

Options
  • 07-04-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I worked in Canada last summer under the IEC visa. Just looked up the forms there for claiming my tax back and think ive done it correctly but not sure.

I used the forms for the province I worked in (after getting confused about the one to use as i was home by the end of the year) and am going to send to the international office and see what happens. Closing date is april 30th.

Has anyone successfully got any tax back off them or know of anyone who has?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

I wonder could this be moved to Living Abroad? apologies I think I have it in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I've got all my paperwork sent in and processed. Just waiting for the cheque. I still live here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 obeara

I got my tax back last week. I had it deposited it directly into my Canadian bank account which I haven't closed yet.

I filled out the forms for BC as I was working in Vancouver last year. Sent it from Ireland to the tax ofice in Surrey, BC. 5 or 6 weeks later I received the refund amount that I had worked out on the tax form

Ok thanks i haven't posted mine yet so maybe the surrey office is the one rather than international, I need them to post a cheque here though coz I closed my a/c (seemed like a good idea at the time)

obeara can I ask if you were in Ireland or canada on 31st December? This seems to matter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

i had someone do mine with efile does anyone know how long it takes to process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

IMightKnow wrote: »
    I worked in Canada last summer under the IEC visa. Just looked up the forms there for claiming my tax back and think ive done it correctly but not sure.

I used the forms for the province I worked in (after getting confused about the one to use as i was home by the end of the year) and am going to send to the international office and see what happens. Closing date is april 30th.

Has anyone successfully got any tax back off them or know of anyone who has?

Have you heard of a T4?:)

Yeah I got my T4 posted by my employer about a month ago

Yeah I got my T4 posted by my employer about a month ago

Where you able to fill it out correctly, knowing all to what you are entiled to claim back?:)

I,m going to PM you

You don't fill out a t4, you fill out a t1

Thanks, what im basically unsure about is my residency status but ive now just found something called Non-Residents and Income Tax 2011

I have my T1, schedule 1 and BC tax credit form 428 all filled out but i think the BC one is not applicable

• Advertisement

Sound as a pound

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 obeara

obeara can I ask if you were in Ireland or canada on 31st December? This seems to matter

yeah i was in Canada at the end of the year so I'm not sure if its different for you then

• Registered Users Posts: 4 toniacollins

hi can anyone telling how i would go about claim tax back from canada for last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 carpediem2012

Hi,

Would really appreciate some help as quite confused. I was going to apply for my Canadian Tax refund with taxback.com but stopped as it asked the following 'if I earned more than 10% of my annual income outside of Canada.'

I worked in Canada from Jan 1 - Sept 1, 2009 (approx) and returned to Ireland Sept 3, 2009. I worked in Ireland in Novemeber and because my Irish wages were better than my Canadian it does equate to more than 10%.

Just to note, I did pay my Irish tax as a resident.

Does this mean I would not be entitled to a tax refund?

Would appreciate any insight, as going around in circles trying to find info online.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SteveNation

Hi IMightKnow,

Just wondering did you fill out the T1 based on the Non-Residents and Income Tax 2011 guide? In the 'Identification' section did you put in your current address yes?

Been going around in circles for days trying to figure out if I am a non-resident or not.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 nahuvy

hey i got help with my taxes but supposedly dont get anything for rent and im not sure if thats right???
    Im still in canada i only came at the end of august

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lindzation

Hi IMightKnow,

Just wondering did you fill out the T1 based on the Non-Residents and Income Tax 2011 guide? In the 'Identification' section did you put in your current address yes?

Been going around in circles for days trying to figure out if I am a non-resident or not.

Cheers

I've been looking into this a lot - even spoke with CRA. It's very very confusing. The conclusion I came to is that my boyfriend would be a "deemed resident of canada" (for tax purposes) but will not be a resident in a particular province for taxes purposes.
    The CRA told me they "thought" according my answers to their questions that he should be filing as an Albertan would (which leads to low refund) because of his "intention to stay" which I found a bit infuriating because they could refuse his visa renewal in the next couple of weeks.

But when I read over the IT-221R3 (Bulletin of Determination of an Individual's Residence Status) I came to the conclusion stated above.

Does that make any sense? I'd be surprised as it barely makes sense to me ;)

Hi stevenation

Yes I did, thats the guide i used (in the end!).

So basically i included:
    T1
    Schedule 1
    Schedule A Statement of world income
    Schedule B Allowable Amount of Non-Refundable Tax Credits
    The specific BC form F428 (which i dont think is relevant but included in case...it doesnt change anything)
    and
    A photocopy of my T4 from employer

I wrote my irish address on the id box and wrote a note also with my current address and stated on that the dates i worked in canada (June-Aug 2011 only).

I got my tax back in a cheque yesterday, dont actually think i filled it out correctly though as the cheque was for more than I was expecting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

I got my tax back in a cheque yesterday, dont actually think i filled it out correctly though as the cheque was for more than I was expecting!

If you only worked a partial year in Canada then you would get all your tax paid back
    Should be explained on the letter you got with the cheque

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 G50

Not to dig up old threads but this thread is fairly high on google search.

For those in the process of getting tax back from 2012 this website Studio Tax 2012 is a life saver.

http://www.studiotax.com/en/?page=1

Filling out the various forms yourself is a nightmare, ridiculously complex and the guides are pretty poor. imput a few figures from your T4 and it generates the required forms itself. Free for the first 20 returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but I'm back in Ireland, I want to claim for my tax for 2013 from Canada.
    Is there a way of going about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

Hi,
    I worked in Vancouver last summer. I have received my T4 from my employer, can anyone please explain how to go about reclaiming the tax I paid?

Many thanks

mrpdap

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

mrpdap wrote: »
    Hi,
    I worked in Vancouver last summer. I have received my T4 from my employer, can anyone please explain how to go about reclaiming the tax I paid?

Many thanks

mrpdap
    Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I moved here last August, but wasn't paying rent until Feb this year. I was in a hostel for a number of those months, but doubt I can claim anything back against that....? Anyone know?!

Advertisement