Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackmail and Credit Card transaction

Options
  • 07-04-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

This is very embarrassing for me but I hope somebody out there can give me some advice. I was in a yahoo chat room recently and was chatting one to one with a girl. We eventually chatted on webcam. Anyway, she convinced me to get naked and after a couple of mins the chat stopped. She then sent me several links to youtube and a host of other sites. She had recorded me on cam and all the links contained my full name, the company I work for and the word "peadophile". She wanted money in exchange for taking the links down and destroying the video. Getting the vid off youtube was not an issue as I flagged it but there was no way I could get the other links down. She also sent the links to friends of mine on facebook. I had to agree to pay her and tried through Western Union. But it didn't work and in the end I paid €450 to her friends account through paypal. All the links are now gone and I believe this situation is over. My question is, is there any cover for me with my credit card company for a refund? The money was not an issue as I couldn't risk my job etc. But if I could get something back I would feel a bit better. I don't want to dispute it through paypal as she told me she will keep the vid a bit longer in case I dispute it.

This has all been very distressing. I hope somebody can give me some advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Your only real option is to contact the garda. The bank won't be able to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Is this a piss take?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 miskawn

I wish it was a piss take. But no its for real

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

... so you'd like the credit card company to pick up some/all of the bill for what you did :rolleyes: - how about you taking some responsibility for your actions... :confused:

Thanks pjmn but not very helpful. I hope something similar never happens to you or someone you know. What happened is 100% my responsibility. Was just wondering if it constituted some kind of fraud but I realise theres little or no chance of that being the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

miskawn wrote: »
    Thanks pjmn but not very helpful. I hope something similar never happens to you or someone you know.
    Nothing happened to you, you put yourself in a sticky situation (no pun intended) and got stung. Even if you are serious, perhaps you may find more 'helpful' responses in the After Hours Personal Issues forum.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

You should go to the Gardai, blackmail is a crime. Paying the money was a mistake and this girl is doing the same to other people. I highly recommend going to the Gardai asap because she may well come looking for more money now that she knows she can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It is 100% fraud, 100% illegal but if you want to keep it quiet, all you can do is chalk it up to experience.

The only thing is that fraudsters rarely stop at the first attempt. If they have you, they will bleed you dry. You should think about what to do if a second demand comes through.

If that happens you'll wish €450 was all you got stung for.

By the way, how did she know your employer and proper name if you were dealing with her through Yahoo? Is it possible you have been targetted with the assistance of someone you know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

It'll be a miracle (such as this person getting a conscience) if they don't blackm[HTML][/HTML]ail you again.

1. Go to the guards
    2. Get some professional help re what you were doing on the net.

If you are not going to do the above the last thing you would want to do is piss this person off - do you really think s/he has got rid of the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The rights and wrongs of the situation are not up for debate here folks. LImit the discussion to the financial side of things as per the remit of this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

miskawn wrote: »
    Thanks pjmn but not very helpful. I hope something similar never happens to you or someone you know. What happened is 100% my responsibility. Was just wondering if it constituted some kind of fraud but I realise theres little or no chance of that being the case.

It wouldnt be fraud, blackmail yes but not fraud, how did it come up with the company you work for?
    Its a given you never let people online where you work/live for safety more than anything.
    You cant really claim it was a fraudulent payment, but how are you certain she hasnt just taken them down and keep them for safe keeping?
    Contact the gardai but now sure they'll be able to do much, unless you still have the bank details and a record of each conversation?

BuffyBot wrote: »
    The rights and wrongs of the situation are not up for debate here folks. LImit the discussion to the financial side of things as per the remit of this forum.

Well, from a financial perspective, the payment has been made for the purpose he intended so I cannot see how he could have any chargeback rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Call me cynical but what a crock of sh1te!

This made me laugh when I read it, partly due to the posters expectation that some would be taken in, and partly due to those that may have been.

It is obviously a wind up, the story is full of holes. I am waiting for the punch line...... "I now have no money to pay for my childs operation...... please any donations to....."

Still making me chuckle......:D:D:D:D

TT

I can assure everyone that this isn't a wind up and thanks to those who have taken it seriously. I think she must have got my work details off facebook. I didn't have it set as private, but I have done since. I know I did a stupid thing and have learned my lesson. No way of knowing for sure the evidence is gone for good but I couldn't risk not paying it. I don't wanna involve the guards. I don't even think this person is based in Ireland. Just gonna lie low and chalk it up to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Dude I think you should go to the gards.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Gisty

Obvious wind up is obvious, but I'll bite.

Its not card fraud. So no, your bank will not refund you the money as you sent the money to this person through Paypal yourself. Banks will only step in if someone uses your card without your permission. Its a matter for the Gardai.

You're an eejit for getting in this situation, but contact the Guards anyway. Send them all the details you have on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Why would the bank recompense you for your reckless spending? If all those who gambled away hard-earned-money could do chargebacks at the cost of insurance policies - sure why not?

You paid for services rendered.

I know I'm an eegit. Absolute eegit. I'll face the consequences myself. Thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

As these people tend to be unscrupulous I think you should contact the Gardaí and provide them with links/screen-shots or any other material that they may use in, if not tracking this scurrilous harlot, least preventing the circulation of certain images or movies.

Good this was highlighted. Lets us all know what types are out there.

Sorry for your troubles!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

dublin daz wrote: »
    Why would the bank recompense you for your reckless spending? If all those who gambled away hard-earned-money could do chargebacks at the cost of insurance policies - sure why not?

You paid for services rendered.

It wasn't 'reckless spending' or 'services rendered'. It was blackmail.

OP should indeed go to the Gardai, and should also report the matter to Paypal, who may well do a refund and cancel the account of the blackmailer. It may be very difficult for the Gardai to do much, given the international nature of such fraud, but it should certainly be reported.

OP - just curious if there was any particular reason for their 'peadophile' claim? Did they get you to say or do anything during the cam session that related to this? If not, all they can really do is embarrass you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

What will the guards do? - the blackmailer could be based anywhere in the world. How would they bring a court case against them for €450?

As others have mentioned, the €450 is just the start. I suppose the only thing you could do here is tell the blackmailer that you don't care who you give the vids too because you do that all the time. Mention also that the info you gave (work etc) is false. Then end contact with them and forget about it.

Once something goes on the internet, it's there forever.

However, it's unfortunate that you've already given €450.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

TopTec wrote: »
    Call me cynical but what a crock of sh1te!

This made me laugh when I read it, partly due to the posters expectation that some would be taken in, and partly due to those that may have been.

It is obviously a wind up, the story is full of holes. I am waiting for the punch line...... "I now have no money to pay for my childs operation...... please any donations to....."

Still making me chuckle......:D:D:D:D

TT

Agreed, made me laugh though

The "peadophile" comment was just thrown in for good measure to embarrass me. Maybe I was foolish to pay but she assured me that would be the end of it and have heard nothing since. I didn't see any other option

What will the guards do? - the blackmailer could be based anywhere in the world. How would they bring a court case against them for €450?
    The guards would do the same as they would do for any international fraud of that nature. I wouldn't expect a SWAT team of gardai to be hopping into a helicopter ready to land on the fraudsters. I would expect that, at a minimum, it would be recorded and reported to the relevant authorities in the home country of the fraudsters. It is almost certain that the OP is not the only victim of this person or group, and it may well help the Gardai or other authorities to build a case against the fraudsters.

Also the fact that Paypal are based in Ireland may well allow the Gardai to take some specific action in Ireland. I'd be pretty sure that Paypal don't want to be a medium for criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 malbyrne

Hi Miskawn......I feel your pain.....something very similar happened to me very recently with 2 exceptions. (1) - I do not have a facebook account and was using an alisas when we talked....she did pull up all the name on FB with my aliasis and claimed she would send video to them (2) I refused to pay and indicated that I would rather things go public not that pay through the nose for ever (cant afford it at the moment).

I suspect one of 2 things will happen......the group behind it will persist and try and identify who I am or they have already posted the video clip which means someone who knows me will soon see it.....

2 things are influencing me at the moment.....(i) not sure I have all that much to be really ashamed off.....i was rubbing....so what.....every guy i know does....didnt explode on cam or anything... (2) if I pay now, I will have to keep paying.....

Although my stomach is knotted with worry, I think I have no option here but take responsibility for my stupid actions.

I would be curious to know if she actually did contact your friends.....if so, what was their reaction. Have you heard anything since? Also, any tips you can give on sites I should be watching out for are much appreciated.....

And yes .....I know most will say I am an ass and deserve what I get but I have learnt a very valuable lesson....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Forgot about this thread. OP, I hope you've had some treatment since.

malbyrne wrote: »
    2 things are influencing me at the moment.....(i) not sure I have all that much to be really ashamed off.....i was rubbing....so what.....every guy i know does....didnt explode on cam or anything... (2) if I pay now, I will have to keep paying.....

Although my stomach is knotted with worry, I think I have no option here but take responsibility for my stupid actions.
    Don't even think of paying them. As you say yourself, as soon as you start paying, they keep going.

• Advertisement

None of my friends were contacted and have heard nothing since. Theres no advice I can give you about sites but just lie low and this will pass. Don't pay!

Advertisement