Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi options for holiday home

Options
  • 07-04-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,
    I'm looking to get wifi in my holiday home in Rosslare. Does anyone know what the most cost effective option would be, given we really only use it in the spring/summer months?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Fiddlydee wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking to get wifi in my holiday home in Rosslare. Does anyone know what the most cost effective option would be, given we really only use it in the spring/summer months?

Get a pay as you go SIM card and a mobile WiFi hotspot, e.g. this one from Three (€69 for the modem, €25 Euro top up for 30 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Torqay wrote: »
    Hi,

Get a pay as you go SIM card and a mobile WiFi hotspot, e.g. this one from Three (€69 for the modem, €25 Euro top up for 30 days).
    Make sure that you have a good signal at the holiday home before you commit.

Ah, you'll have a grace period of two weeks. If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, you can just return it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

My family have a holiday home in Rosslare (near the port) and the general consensus was o2 broadband works best down there, certainly this was the case a while back. I think they have a booster mast in Killinick (sp?) which is close to the harbour & strand.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 65,451 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

+1

Was in a holiday home in Wexford last week and 3G reception was almost non-existent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Fiddlydee

unkel wrote: »

+1

Was in a holiday home in Wexford last week and 3G reception was almost non-existent!

Thanks all. 3G coverage is pretty inconsistent in the holiday home - goes between 3G and Edge. Anything even remotely data heavy and it drops to Edge. I'm assuming the quality of the wifi hotshot would be affected too?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thanks all. 3G coverage is pretty inconsistent in the holiday home - goes between 3G and Edge. Anything even remotely data heavy and it drops to Edge. I'm assuming the quality of the wifi hotshot would be affected too?

The wifi hotspot won't be effected, in that the wifi signal will remain regardless of 3g connection or not. Those things are essentially a wireless router for mobile internet

Nick

We have a mobile in burrow park. My husband tested a meteor wifi to go jobby last week. He is on a one month rolling contract. He said it worked but was very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

The good thing about devices similar to what Torqay linked to is you place them in an area in your building where the 3g signal is strongest and you connect via WiFi from your laptop/PC/smart phone to the Hotspot.

SickBoy wrote: »
    The good thing about devices similar to what Torqay linked to is you place them in an area in your building where the 3g signal is strongest and you connect via WiFi from your laptop/PC/smart phone to the Hotspot.

Ok so it seems the wifi hotshot is worth a go. (We did try the O2 broadband but it was too slow, presumably because it's dependent on the 3G coverage). Thanks all.

• Advertisement

Ok so it seems the wifi hotshot is worth a go. (We did try the O2 broadband but it was too slow, presumably because it's dependent on the 3G coverage). Thanks all.

Alternatively, look for a 3G WiFi router with a connection for an external aerial. Router and outdoor aerial shouldn't be more than 200 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So what's the difference between this & let's say a Meteor USB stick?

They both use a pay as you go SIM right? Is it that you recommendation allows more than one device to connect at a time whereas the USB stick allows only one?

While I think of it, what systems do inter city buses use?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So what's the difference between this & let's say a Meteor USB stick?

They both use a pay as you go SIM right? Is it that you recommendation allows more than one device to connect at a time whereas the USB stick allows only one?

Yes, a hotspot is about multiple connections while a USB stick is intended for that machine only. It's sometimes possible to share an internet connection e.g. a PC with a USB stick can be made to share the connection via Wi-Fi with other devices but it's not easy to setup so go with the hotpost if you want multiple devices plus as has been said, with the hotspot you can position the receiver for best reception which might not be a practical propostion with a single USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you're stuck with a USB stick they sometimes have routers that can convert them into hotspots but I cant remember the brand I've sold before :/ doesn't make them mobile, but if you want a spot..

If you've had your for a while though theres a good chance you're eligible for a free upgrade. It will renew your contract agreement but you'll be able to swap out the USB device for a MiFi Card for free in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I've found THIS FREE App great for sharing connections and it worked with my USB stick too.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Alternatively, look for a 3G WiFi router with a connection for an external aerial. Router and outdoor aerial shouldn't be more than 200 Euro.

How does this work?

Get a USB Modem with an option to connect an external aerial.

JgrRW.jpg

Now get a 3G Wifi router and plug in your USB modem. I have seen this one recently, I believe it was supplied by Three:

EAURv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TV4Ever

Using an external arial will allow you to pick up a signal that may otherwise be too weak without it. It will not solve the problem if the mobile network you are connected to is congested / slow.

Some things to consider:

1) O2, Vodafone, Meteor and 3 all offer decent mobile broadband but the experience varies greatly depending on location. The best option is to try each of them in your holiday home to determine which works best at your location. Keep in mind though, that the experience/speed may change in the future if more people use the same network. Some of the mobile companies allow you to look at the coverage using google maps - just go to their websites and look for coverage checkers. This will give you an idea if they cover the area and if it is 3G coverage or not. You will still need to test yourself to be sure though. Sounds like you have tested meteor and friends have tested O2. You say both are slow. Try them anyway and Voda and 3.

2) Prepay sounds like the best option for a holiday home. You will only pay for when you need it. However, just keep in mind that the usuage allowance is usually smaller - typically 5GB. This will be fine for emails/browsing and even some streaming video (if you can get the speed!) especially if you are just using it for weekends away and hols.

3) I would stay away from th USB sticks/dongles. The WiFi hotspots/routers can be used with smartphones, laptops, tablets etc. and will give you more flexibility. They may have an advantage in receiving a weaker signal also especially if they come with an external arial jack as the OP mentions.

Best of luck!

TV4Ever wrote: »
    Using an external arial will allow you to pick up a signal that may otherwise be too weak without it. It will not solve the problem if the mobile network you are connected to is congested / slow.

Some things to consider:

1) O2, Vodafone, Meteor and 3 all offer decent mobile broadband but the experience varies greatly depending on location. The best option is to try each of them in your holiday home to determine which works best at your location. Keep in mind though, that the experience/speed may change in the future if more people use the same network. Some of the mobile companies allow you to look at the coverage using google maps - just go to their websites and look for coverage checkers. This will give you an idea if they cover the area and if it is 3G coverage or not. You will still need to test yourself to be sure though. Sounds like you have tested meteor and friends have tested O2. You say both are slow. Try them anyway and Voda and 3.

2) Prepay sounds like the best option for a holiday home. You will only pay for when you need it. However, just keep in mind that the usuage allowance is usually smaller - typically 5GB. This will be fine for emails/browsing and even some streaming video (if you can get the speed!) especially if you are just using it for weekends away and hols.

3) I would stay away from th USB sticks/dongles. The WiFi hotspots/routers can be used with smartphones, laptops, tablets etc. and will give you more flexibility. They may have an advantage in receiving a weaker signal also especially if they come with an external arial jack as the OP mentions.

Best of luck!

I feel somewhat enlightened now!! Thanks for the comprehensive responses all. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fortysumting

Hi

Can anyone recommend a WiFi service for a holiday home in Tramore?

I was advised that a pay as you go option would be best but which one would have a good signal.

Any thoughts appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement