Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting Mini DVM60 tapes to Dvd

Options
  • 07-04-2012 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there,

I don't know if any of you can help me but it's worth a shot! I have about 5 mini DVM60 tapes that I need to get onto DVD somehow so that I can edit them on my computer, however the camcorder that they were recorded on is long gone and I have no device to play them on in order to transfer the footage onto my computer.

So basically my questions are:

1. Can anyone recommend a reliable place that would do this for me?

2. OR, is there any device which would allow me to insert the tape and copy this information across myself. I know there used to be a larger VHS tape that you could insert mini tapes into in order to play on a VCR machine but I'm not sure if this would work with a DVM60?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Kristin_87 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I don't know if any of you can help me but it's worth a shot! I have about 5 mini DVM60 tapes that I need to get onto DVD somehow so that I can edit them on my computer, however the camcorder that they were recorded on is long gone and I have no device to play them on in order to transfer the footage onto my computer.

So basically my questions are:

1. Can anyone recommend a reliable place that would do this for me?

2. OR, is there any device which would allow me to insert the tape and copy this information across myself. I know there used to be a larger VHS tape that you could insert mini tapes into in order to play on a VCR machine but I'm not sure if this would work with a DVM60?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a million.

If it's a Mini DV tape then it won't (unless you have a DV-CAM/Mini DV playback deck, which are quite expensive).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Cheapest way is to buy a second hand miniDV camcorder and use it as a deck to import into your edit machine.

Check the device will lay your tapes before purchase and make sure you have the correct output available i.e firewire or composite to match your ingest interface.

5 tapes with 60 minute capacity (DVM60 is a 60 minute tape...) is a lot of ingest and you're going to expect to pay for at least a days work to get this lot transfered to dvd...

Far cheaper to buy a second hand miniDV camera and sell it again afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Remember to dump your footage raw from the camcorder, if going down the DIY route.. don't get caught up into software that transfers from the DV tape in some proprietary format.

WinDV is what you need to just transfer your tapes over to your storage.

Safe and free.

WinDV: http://windv.mourek.cz/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Tactical wrote: »
    Cheapest way is to buy a second hand miniDV camcorder and use it as a deck to import into your edit machine.

Check the device will lay your tapes before purchase and make sure you have the correct output available i.e firewire or composite to match your ingest interface.

5 tapes with 60 minute capacity (DVM60 is a 60 minute tape...) is a lot of ingest and you're going to expect to pay for at least a days work to get this lot transfered to dvd...

Far cheaper to buy a second hand miniDV camera and sell it again afterwards :)

DEFINITELY!

Advertisement