Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimisation of diesel fuel on earth moving project

Options
  • 07-04-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I am looking for advice on minimising diesel fuel use on an earth moving project that involves use of dumper trucks, dozers, excavators, graders, etc.
    Is there an industry best practice guide?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Don't turn any of them on. It slows the actual process of moving the earth etc somwhat, but it is very effective at minimising diesel consumption. Another view(one I subscribe to fully)is to make sure that every fecker on every machine has the throttle wide open and every machine working to full capacity shifting muck. One famous(in Ireland) developer I did work for used to run any machine driver with their machine just ticking over - he would climb up, pull the throttle lever to full and say "keep it lit or get it on a lowloader and feck off". Those who slipped back to half revs got the gate. If the muck is worth shifting, shift it as fast as possible. Then turn the machines off. When it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

Good operators simple as, make sure your drivers know what they are doing bad drivers waste fuel and also shorten the life of the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

use a shovel

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

Moac wrote: »
    I am looking for advice on minimising diesel fuel use on an earth moving project that involves use of dumper trucks, dozers, excavators, graders, etc.
    Is there an industry best practice guide?

are you serious? :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Pottler wrote: »
    Don't turn any of them on. It slows the actual process of moving the earth etc somwhat, but it is very effective at minimising diesel consumption. Another view(one I subscribe to fully)is to make sure that every fecker on every machine has the throttle wide open and every machine working to full capacity shifting muck. One famous(in Ireland) developer I did work for used to run any machine driver with their machine just ticking over - he would climb up, pull the throttle lever to full and say "keep it lit or get it on a lowloader and feck off". Those who slipped back to half revs got the gate. If the muck is worth shifting, shift it as fast as possible. Then turn the machines off. When it's done.
    road bridge or mulchairs whatever they wanna be called was it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Get a traffic management consultant to carry out a vehicle movement study / mobility management plan for the site to set up suitable haul routes, dump zones etc with the focus on minimising traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Get a traffic management consultant to carry out a vehicle movement study / mobility management plan for the site to set up suitable haul routes, dump zones etc with the focus on minimising traffic.
    Yes, and with the money saved on diesel by doing this ^, plus a few extra grand thrown in to top it up, you might be able to pay the consultant for his advice.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cartonj

Matching machine size and truck numbers to the volume to be removed will be the most important factor. No point having a 13T excavator loading out 100 thousand cubes into 20 6T dumpers, similarly no point haveing a 50t machine loading 100 cubes into 10 A40s.
    Matching cut/fill volumes and directly hauling to tip as nothing burns fuel (money) like double handling and machines should never be left ideling.

Each job/site is different so there is no blanket rule for all. Weather/access and operators play a huge part.
    Its not as simple as a wide open throttle and lots of black smoke, anyone that thinks so will loose money.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

keep the haul roads/tracks levelled, with a grader, dumpers dragging themselves and the load up outa holes slows them down, is bad for the machine and ultimately requires more movements and uses more fuel.

Advertisement