Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Some of the people here on boards need to get out more"

• 07-04-2012 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

How many people here agree?

It always strikes me when I read the odd thread on PI and even that new "Approaching A Girl On The Street" thread in TGC.

I think a number of people on the "Unpopular Opinions" thread here said my thread title too.

It could be as simple as taking a walk in the park or going to Dublin to buy a book in Chapters.

Another thing is to talk to anyone you see sitting by themselves on a bus or a train.

I know a lot of people don't have friends but you will if you try and be sociable and make an effort with anyone you see, I was approached by a stranger on the bus home from work today and started a conversation.

The world is your oyster:pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

You really want people getting out more?

Frankly I think they're out there too much already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Don't bother concerning yourself with how often other people 'get out'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭choobles

karaokeman wrote: »

It always strikes me when I read the odd thread on PI and even that new "Approaching A Girl On The Street" thread in TGC.

I think a number of people on the "Unpopular Opinions" thread here said my thread title too.

It could be as simple as taking a walk in the park or going to Dublin to buy a book in Chapters.

Another thing is to talk to anyone you see sitting by themselves on a bus or a train.

I know a lot of people don't have friends but you will if you try and be sociable and make an effort with anyone you see, I was approached by a stranger on the bus home from work today and started a conversation.

Started by a user with over two thousand posts :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Human interaction may not achieve the op's desired results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭choobles

efb wrote: »
    Human interaction may not achieve the op's desired results

Human interaction is vastly over rated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

:

*Quickly takes out book, puts on headphones and hopes strange man will go and sit beside someone else*

If I'm alone on a bus I don't want strangers talking to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

efb wrote: »
    If I'm alone on a bus I don't want strangers talking to me.

The bus talkers usually smell as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i hate being alone on the bus. Just sitting there , wondering if the driver has been kidnapped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Come over and chat to me next time you're on the 66. I always have headphones in, but don't mind taking them out for a chat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

corktina wrote: »
    i hate being alone on the bus. Just sitting there , wondering if the driver has been kidnapped

Depending on the bus, theres a good chance that he has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Silverfish wrote: »
    You really want people getting out more?

Frankly I think they're out there too much already.

The fact that they post their disaster stories on here when they arrive home is proof enough of that.

They will eventually get the message and not go out at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

i sit outside public wifi spots in my van to go on boards.
    amidoinitrite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

frankly having to go to work for 8 hours is plenty enough getting out for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah, some people do.

I think for the most part, though, that the majority of people here aren't weirdos who spend all their time on the computer (whatever my post count says), just normal people who lead lives just the same as everyone else, but come on here in their free time just to kill a few hours.

I wouldn't talk to strangers on a bus or train though, I'm not a mentalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

When I don't stop to give perfectly decent looking hitchhikers a lift, I tell people its because its a dangerous world and you never know what sort of person you will let into your car. The truth is that I would rather put pins in my eyes than listen to some stranger warble on about the weather / recession / sport during a car journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

"If outside is so good, why has mankind spent thousands of years trying to perfect inside?" Sheldon Cooper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

brummytom wrote: »
    Yeah, some people do.

I think for the most part, though, that the majority of people here aren't weirdos who spend all their time on the computer (whatever my post count says), just normal people who lead lives just the same as everyone else, but come on here in their free time just to kill a few hours.

I wouldn't talk to strangers on a bus or train though, I'm not a mentalist.

....meanwhile, back in the real world.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

Don't bother concerning yourself with how often other people 'get out'.

Seconded.
    Whatever happened to minding your own damn business. You dont know the majority of people on here so you dont know their circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I give hitchers short lifts but a long journey - not a hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

The trouble is how often would you meet someone like that and be sure enough to ask for their number to meet up again (as just friends). It feels like primary school again...

(insert kiddie voice here) "will you be my fwend?"

And I don't mean that in a bad way. I spent two wonderful times, a week woring and a fan convention weekend, meeting two wonderful girls, get on really well but there just doesn't seem to be an inclination on their side to talk or meet up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

OP got shot down when he left and tried making a conversation with someone - so instead he is asking us all to go out and talk to him!

With that said... I shall now return to my hermit cave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I live in Tallaghts, I can't walk around the park, plenty of people actually approach me on public transport but they're usually asking me for money.

The world is my oyster now I'm off to think myself out of social anxiety and awkwardness hurrah.

(Seriously it just is hard to meet new people in Dublin, I never see anyone going about my own business that I could be friends with and when I go out they're all just twonks or I have a grand aul chat with most people I meet, I even have a lot of acquaintances that I wouldn't ask them to do something as I'd turn into that friend who is always texting and making the effort, naaah the hermit life fo me ta!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I definitely need to get out more, but i am agoraphobic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I have multiple STDs and like to spit in peoples faces so best off removed from society anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

"Some of the people here on boards need to get out more"

Is the OP BARKING:eek::eek::eek:

Do you seriously want us to venture out into the mythical third dimension:confused:.

Get help OP, get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

You telling us to gtfo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    Come over and chat to me next time you're on the 66. I always have headphones in, but don't mind taking them out for a chat.

Funny enough I live in Leixlip myself:pac:.

Might do that actually.

I've also noticed that while I have over 2,000 posts I do have lower than the average poster in this thread.

Besides I need to stay in a bit over the next few weeks to cram for my first semester college exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I ventured outside today, first time this year. It's boring outside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Channel Zero

Nice thought. Within reason. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Advertisement