Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAVING CERT 2012 - IRISH

• 07-04-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Im really bad at irish but im staying up in honours. Im really afraid i wont pass. Now ive learned everything for the pros but i have no idea what to learn for the poems or the essay.
    What are your teachers predicting to come up in the poems? And do you know the second choice question in the poetry what does it mean?
    If you've any tips that might help me, I'll appreciate it! Thanks in advance!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

I'm gonna have my favourites (the easiest ones) prepared to an A. When you study things you like, it's easier;
    Colscaradh, Geibheann, an spailpin fanach...
    It's extremely difficult to guess which poem could come up. But there's only five.
    And when you look at all the question that have been asked...it's very limited.

The same questions are asked repeatedly;
    (i) An File
    (ii) Iomhanna sa dain
    (iii) how the poem affected you..
    (iv) Mothucain

there's a couple of headings...and it's just the same thing that's asked for the poems.
    I got 22/30 in filiocht, and i didn't study for Irish - at all.
    Does this kinda help? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

siobhan93 wrote: »
    Im really bad at irish but im staying up in honours. Im really afraid i wont pass. Now ive learned everything for the pros but i have no idea what to learn for the poems or the essay.
    What are your teachers predicting to come up in the poems? And do you know the second choice question in the poetry what does it mean?
    If you've any tips that might help me, I'll appreciate it! Thanks in advance!! :)
    Second choice is for people doing special poems that their teacher can pick, or for people repeating, dont worry about that :)

I dunno if it can be predicted with this being the first year. Honestly since were given the poem you can almost waffle it, just know what the poem means and general questions and prepare a few :) Managed 30/30 in the mock for it because its literally (usually) broken down so much that you get like 8 marks for things like emotions - no need to rote learn at all, its all there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Hi Siobhán,
    Don't panic!
    Do you know that there are actually more marks available for reading a poem in the Oral than if the same poem comes up on Paper 2?
    You also have 50% of your LC (40% Oral, 10% Aural) before you answer a single written question.
    You do not need to answer the poems to the same standard as it has in the book. The textbooks were published before educators knew this. Know every poem and be able to on the areas posted above. Accuracy is much more important in the Aiste on paper 1, you don't need to have perfect Irish for the poetry or prose questions. Having the information is much more important.
    And finally, repeat, repeat, repeat, don't swot your Irish revision, just read over repeatedly and write it a few times... then when you eventually go to "learn" it you'll be completely destressed.
    I went to a D in my Mocks to an A in honours Irish and I'm now an Irish teacher. Trust me! You'll be fine! Try it for a week, read with a cup of tea in your hand or the tele in front of you from time to time. Relax your noggin and you'll be surprised at how much seeps in after a couple of reads when you don't care as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

Ms.M wrote: »
    Hi Siobhán,
    Don't panic!
    Do you know that there are actually more marks available for reading a poem in the Oral than if the same poem comes up on Paper 2?
    You also have 50% of your LC (40% Oral, 10% Aural) before you answer a single written question.
    You do not need to answer the poems to the same standard as it has in the book. The textbooks were published before educators knew this. Know every poem and be able to on the areas posted above. Accuracy is much more important in the Aiste on paper 1, you don't need to have perfect Irish for the poetry or prose questions. Having the information is much more important.
    And finally, repeat, repeat, repeat, don't swot your Irish revision, just read over repeatedly and write it a few times... then when you eventually go to "learn" it you'll be completely destressed.
    I went to a D in my Mocks to an A in honours Irish and I'm now an Irish teacher. Trust me! You'll be fine! Try it for a week, read with a cup of tea in your hand or the tele in front of you from time to time. Relax your noggin and you'll be surprised at how much seeps in after a couple of reads when you don't care as much.

Yeah, that's what i've done for the pros just learned it straight off (not even knowing what half of it means)haha but i dunno it's just the poems.. there's so many headings which ones am i suppose to learn from.. i planned -file -how the poem affected you -iomhanna for all of them and the for colscaradh -codarsnacht.. but what if one comes up that i didnt learn what will i do?:S

But thanks that's actually really reassuring. Fairplay on going up that many grades.. i could only dream of doing that well in irish haha :)

The impact it has on you is definitely a good one to prepare. I would be shocked if that didn't come up somewhere. Even if it doesn't, you'll still be able to use what you've prepared for another question. Possible responses overlap a lot for the poetry question. So I would advise not just learning answers off by heart, make sure you understand what it means in English too. Be prepared to be flexible if you need to.
    The questions will vary from poem to poem but they are predictable. They're not going to put in any curveballs the first year of the exam. Ask your teacher if she/he could do up a list of possible questions for each poem. She won't be able to give you every possible phrasing. A lot of it is just recognising key words; a chuir i bhfeidhm ort... íomhá... greann etc. I'll give you a comprehensive list myself (don't have my school books at hand over Easter break) if you still need it when we go back.
    And don't be so hard on yourself! You know loads of Irish, you're just confused about the course. I wish 6th years knew how close they are to fluency, even Ordinary level. There's a lot of fancy words in the poetry and prose course, don't let it make you feel stupid. And fair play to you for sticking with Honours! Nice to see people who care about how they do at Irish! Far too many are dismissive of it. PM me next term if you still need that list. I'd say your teacher will be on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Josh93

I must say poetry is my weakest area, I got a B3 in the mocks but my Paper 2 really brought me down. I only got 15/30 with Colscaradh, which most people claim to be the easiest poem. In other words, a decent mark can be got in Irish by doing a fairly average Paper 2, so don't stress too much about it :)

As for the essays, we've been advised on the Olympics, the recession and politics :) hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 daithioc

It is definite that the poems will be broken into sections like that? Iomhanna sa dain, Suiomh an Dan etc...

So it would mean that the q's in the edco papers could really be ignored???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Heheusofuni

any tips on the Irish essays because I can barely scrape 3 pages and we have 2hours to write one (what a joke!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Fill it with questions, I did it to fill space and the examiner (mocks btw) ticked it loads every time :pac: So just be all "Nach iontach an rud e sin?" and "Biodh naire orthu!" and things like that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I wouldnt worry too much about the filiosht/pros/lichtriocht breise.
    Only add up to 15% after all.
    Comprehensions (easy marks, answers in front of you!) and essay add up to 45%! Im focusing on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Ms.M wrote: »
    Hi Siobhán,
    Don't panic!

I wish you were my Irish teacher, mine is just like "spend 39457 hours studying Irish every night or you will fail your leaving cert and die."

I wish you were my Irish teacher, mine is just like "spend 39457 hours studying Irish every night or you will fail your leaving cert and die."

Haha, thanks!
    Well she/he is right in saying you should be studying it every night. That goes for a third language too if you're doing one. You won't remember any new vocab if you're not looking at it every day at this stage.
    I would only disagree on spending hours on it. You have other subjects too. And putting yourself under loads of stress will prevent you from picking up unfamiliar words.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I get my LCs to do 15 minutes before school and 25 in the evening, has always paid dividends. Also...quality over quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

lads can i ask a question do you know the second question i.e. the ones for people who have done their own poems. If I, as an external student, learned my own poem and prose could I answer that question or is it just certain people who can do that one? Sorry bit confused!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

Hi I've a question if yous don't mind, I'm really unclear with the basics of grammar because my teacher presumed we knew it and worried I won't understand what grammar they're looking for in leamhthuiscint piece! Could somebody please tell me how id identify-
    Ainmfhocal (female and male)
    Aidhiactai (f + m)
    Think I'm okay with tuiseal gindideach however it's spelt although MALE AND FEMALE how would ye spot difference

What other grammar could be asked?
    And how do you all study for the leamhthuiscint? Haven't really done many practice ones myself

Posting this in a few places I really need answers

Advertisement