Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin childminder for 3 kids - how much?

Options
  • 07-04-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hi there,
    I have a 1 year old, and two pre-schoolers who are in playschool 9.30-12.30. my minder will do the drops and pick-ups to playschool.
    I will be working 2 days per week, dropping kids off at 7am and picking up at 6pm, so 11 hours in total.
    i used to pay her 10 per hour when she minded the first two. she has minded all three a few times, and i paid her 15 per hour. i just wanted to get some perspective, maybe an idea from others on what they pay....
    if i pay her the same rate then a day would work out at 135 euro.
    is this the going rate? or would it be fair for me to ask her to do it for less....
    she is a great minder and i am happy to pay her what she is owed, i just want to make sure i am not overpaying her. i will not be on a very high salary.
    many thanks for your time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I work out that 11 hours by €15 is €165. To be honest I think €135 for minding 3 small kids for 11 hours is very reasonable as she is using her car as well to do drop offs and pick ups. That's a very long day for a childminder especially if two or more kids are having a bad day at once. It's definitely hard earned money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think that is a lot and 10 euro an hour is a bit more realistic.
    I presume she is register and insured and it is in your house not hers?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 minddoodle

many thanks for your replies,

just to add, its in her own home, and she has 2 other children there for half the day.
    my two older ones are in playschool for 3 hours out of the day so thats why its not a straight 11 hours x 15 calculation.

i was hoping to hear from others who pay a childminder to mind 3 children to get an idea of current rates.

thanks anyway

Advertisement