Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maniac overtaking on the Dublin Road

• 07-04-2012 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭

Heading towards town on this road at about 2pm today some maniac coming against me was overtaking and forced me to swerve into the bus-lane. I only just saw him in time after the car in front of me also had to swerve.

It was a silver saloon. Maybe an Avensis or something. Anyone else see this? No siren on it so I doubt it was a Garda.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

We might as well be talking about the same guy here.
    In the last month or so I had a same maniac overtaking me once in Doradoyle and once in town, and it was the same guy. He was driving silver Avensis around year 00.
    Every time he was driving like he was racing.
    I woudnt be surprised if we are talking about the same person here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get his reg and report him folks. A muppet like that needs to be put off the road before he injures or kills somebody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Wasting your time reporting him.

Over the last few years, I rang traffic watch reporting similar incidents, even followed one of the cars into an estate in P'well. Rang the gardai, they said it was my word against his. Unless there were witnesses, there was nothing they could do, and if I wanted to go ahead, I would have to go to court etc.

I suppose from their point of view I could have been making it all up. So, what do you do?

The other time was an artic that was up my hole from Castletroy all the ways up the old Dublin road (pre motorway), and he overtook near Roscrea forcing all oncoming traffic to pull in, he was going about 70 as well with a trailer.
    I rang traffic watch, and they gave me the same talk.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

Makes me tempted to get a dashboard camera recorder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

seachto7 wrote: »

Over the last few years, I rang traffic watch reporting similar incidents, even followed one of the cars into an estate in P'well. Rang the gardai, they said it was my word against his. Unless there were witnesses, there was nothing they could do, and if I wanted to go ahead, I would have to go to court etc.

I suppose from their point of view I could have been making it all up. So, what do you do?

The other time was an artic that was up my hole from Castletroy all the ways up the old Dublin road (pre motorway), and he overtook near Roscrea forcing all oncoming traffic to pull in, he was going about 70 as well with a trailer.

You should always report an incident that you deem is unsafe and could be life threatening..

My wife and My mum and I were almost wiped out by fffing maniac a couple of years ago..I only got a partial reg( ...he was doing over 150km ) but it was enough for the gardai to track him down and summons him. I gave evidence in court abd the little toe rag was put off the road for 18 months..
    His solicitor tried to play down the seriousness of what had happened but in fairness to the judge he fired the book at him.
    Seriously, its too important, call to your local Garda station and make a statement if you have anything to report, the Gardai will always investigate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

moby2101 wrote: »
    seachto7 wrote: »

You should always report an incident that you deem is unsafe and could be life threatening..

My wife and My mum and I were almost wiped out by fffing maniac a couple of years ago..I only got a partial reg( ...he was doing over 150km ) but it was enough for the gardai to track him down and summons him. I gave evidence in court abd the little toe rag was put off the road for 18 months..
    His solicitor tried to play down the seriousness of what had happened but in fairness to the judge he fired the book at him.
    Seriously, its too important, call to your local Garda station and make a statement if you have anything to report, the Gardai will always investigate.

Agree 100% with moby here, if you are not willing to make a statement and give evidence there's absolutely nothing Gardai can do. I say this having been one.

Without your statement and you in court, there is no evidence, without evidence a Garda cannot bring a person to court, as he has no proof that the alleged offence took place. The only way around this, is of the Garda witnessed the driving himself.

It really annoys me to hear people giving out about Gardai not doing anything about reported dangerous driving, then asking if the reporter was willing to make a statement only to be told no.

Gardai have rules and regulations to follow, if they can't follow the rules and regulations, they don't prosecute, simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Anybody that has an Android phone should download DailyRoads Voyager

http://www.dailyroads.com/voyager.php

It's a great app and records in small segments so it doesn't clog up your phone.
    You tap on the screen to save a particular clip or in the event of a crash/sudden stop it saves automatically. You can set it to save clips in a temporary folder, 60 clips or so, before it deletes and overwrites them. Best and most used app on my phone !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I wasn't giving out about the Gardai, but I could see where they were coming from when I rang them at the time.
    So, say I see someone crazy driving, and I go to the gardai and make a statement. I have no witnesses, just me. Is it then my word against the maniac driver? How does it work?

Say, it goes to court, couldn't your man just deny it, and say I made a prank call to the gardai?

Advertisement