Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I just primed a bottle bomb :-0

Options
  • 07-04-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

I accidentally made a sugar solution double strength for priming (100g caster sugar, was meant to make it up to 200 but only made it up to 100ml). Put 5ml of this (i.e. 5g of sugar) into each 500ml bottle using a children's neurofen syringe (handier than pouring sugar grains).

Got to the 15th or 16 bottle before I realised my mistake!

They are new brown swing tops from homebrew west, and it's a St Peter's Ruby Red ale.

Should I put them in a bunker and just hope for the best, or could I crack them open in a few days to relieve the pressure.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Put them in a box with a towel draped over them bottles and maybe test one in a day or two to see if it's getting far too overcarbonated. At least since they're swing tops it'll be easy enough to de-pressurise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm pretty sure I've been using 5g per 500ml for priming my cider. A priming calculator says that's the high end (weissbier's seem to use that carbonation level). Check out one of the online priming calculators. I think you'll just have very fizzy beer, but not bottle bombs (once the bottles are decent quality).

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

In future try using one plastic bottle squeezed in a bit along with all glass, acts as a fantastic reference for how carbonation is coming along

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

dr.quirky wrote: »
    In future try using one plastic bottle squeezed in a bit along with all glass, acts as a fantastic reference for how carbonation is coming along

That's one of my favorite reasons for using plastic bottles (the Coopers PET ones). You can just give them a quick squeeze to determine carbonation. If they're rock solid with no "give" in them whatsoever, just aim them at someone you don't like when opening :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Should be grand doesn't sound too bad, store below 20degrees and chill overnight before drinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

KAGY wrote: »
    I accidentally made a sugar solution double strength for priming (100g caster sugar, was meant to make it up to 200 but only made it up to 100ml). Put 5ml of this (i.e. 5g of sugar) into each 500ml bottle using a children's neurofen syringe (handier than pouring sugar grains).

Got to the 15th or 16 bottle before I realised my mistake!

They are new brown swing tops from homebrew west, and it's a St Peter's Ruby Red ale.

Should I put them in a bunker and just hope for the best, or could I crack them open in a few days to relieve the pressure.
    I carbed a hefe with 240g sugar to 24 litres aiming for about 3.5vols co2, in much weaker bottles than those. It'll be fine

L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

KAGY wrote: »

Just to update, 3 week on and I checked them out, a fair ould pop from them but no gushing. it's fizzy like a lager, too much so for the style, but i'll survive.
    But it's coating my teeth so i think that there's still sugar left to ferment. The PET bottles (that only have 1 carb drop in them (I had some left over)) are still resonably soft so I think that the yeast is quite sluggish.

Advertisement