Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lawnmower is smoking

Options
  • 07-04-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

and I don't mean that in a good way!

Just bought a Macallister 148cc Pedestrian Lawn Mower from B&Q and when I fired it up for the first time , there is a lot of smoke coming from it.
    I have filled it up with petrol & lawnmower oil, there was a small bit of overspill from the lawnmower oil, could that be it?

Can (should) I just keep mowing?

Tx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Speedy44 wrote: »
    and I don't mean that in a good way!

Just bought a Macallister 148cc Pedestrian Lawn Mower from B&Q and when I fired it up for the first time , there is a lot of smoke coming from it.
    I have filled it up with petrol & lawnmower oil, there was a small bit of overspill from the lawnmower oil, could that be it?

Can (should) I just keep mowing?

Tx

When you say you filled it with oil do you mean you filled it to the level on the dipstick or you filled the oil compartment? What colour is the smoke? If it's blue it is oil burning, if it's white it's probably condensation from a new engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

there was a small bit of overspill

Try wipe away the excees oil if there was an overspill, the smoke could be the excess oil being burnt off by the engine getting hot.

Where is the smoke coming from ??
    I have filled it up with petrol & lawnmower oil

You have the filled the oil to the correct level on the dipstick, overfilling it will harm the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

bmaxi wrote: »
    When you say you filled it with oil do you mean you filled it to the level on the dipstick or you filled the oil compartment? What colour is the smoke? If it's blue it is oil burning, if it's white it's probably condensation from a new engine.

tbh, I probably went a little bit part the level on the dipstick :o, but the smoke is white so hopefully its ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Speedy44 wrote: »
    tbh, I probably went a little bit part the level on the dipstick :o, but the smoke is white so hopefully its ok.

Most likely condensation, it should disappear after a bit of use. There should be a drain plug on the bottom of the engine, if you want to drain off the excess oil, raise the mower up on some blocks and open the plug. It's never good to overfill with oil.

Advertisement