Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is it acceptable to be fat in Ireland?

• 07-04-2012 4:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭

I was out last Wednesday night and I noticed a lot of very overweight women were wearing tight dresses and dolled up in fake tan. It was obvious they were heavy drinkers with the puffy faces on them. Why do some Irish women not care about their appearance? Its like they know they're fat but they don't want to admit it out of a stubborn pride and would rather make men feel bad about themselves even though they're overweight? Why is this? Is it acceptable to be fat in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Fat thread, my old friend, it's been a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Are you fatist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

A fat girl turn you down OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

slum dog wrote: »
    Why is it acceptable to be fat in Ireland?

Because we had a famine and sure you'd never know when you might need those reserves again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Have we ever had a fat thread about men? I don't recall many moob gags meself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's the huge bones.

A fat girl turn you down OP?

They all turned him down. His inner revisionist historian has now made them all fat and tangoed to sooth his ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

why didnt you ask these girls instead of coming here to ask about it?

you could've even done a quick search which would've given you plenty of threads already on the subject!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Nodin wrote: »
    Have we ever had a fat thread about men? I don't recall many moob gags meself.

I gag every time I see a moob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

They're 'Real Women' OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Ask your mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It's not exactly acceptable, a lot of people just don't care though.

Fat people are the last group that we can realistically discriminate against and get away with it in most conversations.

Well, and gingers, but they aren't really people.

I, in general, don't believe this bull of "it's my genetics", show me an old pic of your grand-parents I'm sure they weren't 25 stone. I've seen horribly overweight people cut over half their weight through simply eating right, and I've seen the opposite happen from eating badly.

There are very few excuses to be that fat, I know there are some people who can't help it, but not everyone who is overweight has another thing wrong with them that causes them to be so fat. I would say most just have a lack of will-power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Oi vay. *sighs*

Why is it always directed at women?

Anyway, being overweight isn't good, but I'm not sure how feeling bad about oneself would help matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's the huge bones.

I'll give ye a huge bone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

would rather make men feel bad about themselves even though they're overweight? Why is this?

Why, what did they say to you??

Sounds like insecurity to me. Don't mind them. I'm sure you're a lovely fellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's the elbows and jawbone moving faster than the body's metabolism that does it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Name a country it's not acceptable to be fat OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

For such a tiny population there certainly are a disproportionate number of fat women. I had to leave Ireland to realise this.

That said there's a considerable amount of fat lads too.

****e, depressing weather, the inevitable heavy drinking to blot this out and takeaways as far as the eye can see would be the problem there.

Larianne wrote: »
    Why, what did they say to you??

Sounds like insecurity to me. Don't mind them. I'm sure you're a lovely fellow.

A good scrub down and a few days being re-oriented into society and he'd be almost impossible to tell from the rest of us I'd say.

For such a tiny population there certainly are a disproportionate number of fat women. I had to leave Ireland to realise this.

****e, depressing weather, the inevitable heavy drinking to blot this out and takeaways as far as the eye can see would be the problem there.

It's only depressing if you expect better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Yes, it must be tough on all the perfect Irish male specimens to be subjected to looking at overweight women :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

I dont think it is acceptable to be fat in Ireland at all.

Mickeroo wrote: »

In Eastern Europe it is most definitely not acceptable for a woman to be fat.

And recently in an airport, I overheard a conversation between two European guys, not sure exactly where from, where one was telling the other how bluntly he told his female friend that she was fat and she would be laughed at when she got back to her hometown, wherever that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We eat to escape the misery of being stuck with an Irish man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

thanks for clearing that up. :pac:

OP, it's hardly celebrated, but you can't stop people eating what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Fat women consider themselves "real women". All I see is overweight and unhealthy women.

And recently in an airport, I overheard a conversation between two European guys, not sure exactly where from, where one was telling the other how bluntly he told his female friend that she was fat and she would be laughed at when she got back to her hometown, wherever that was.

Give them a few years. As they become more Westernised they will become as big as the rest of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

eviltwin wrote: »

a lot of countries would role out the red carpet for irish men but that it is not the case with irish women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

There are a lot of fat psychos strutting around town these days, their arseholes sometimes open up like a flower and just suck people in whole.

• Advertisement

Give them a few years. As they become more Westernised they will become as big as the rest of us.

You know, that is true. I've encountered a fair few chubby EE women in the last while, and find myself idly wondering if it's a consequence of them living in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mickeroo wrote: »

Central/Eastern europe.

Its no fun being the chubby one in the office. Believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

They're just trying to catch up with the Irish lads, that's all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's fat kids I feel sorry for. When i see an very overweight child I want to take away the happy meals (from the parents)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Just got back from Asia. As I waited for my connecting flight to Dublin I was shocked to see the extremely large Irish people waiting alongside me. Both men and women - men with huge beer bellies and women who were just large all over and wearing that kind of drapery that is intended to hide the bulges.

I'm back a few days now and completely desensitised - the hugeness just seems "normal" now :o.

Ah so that's why Irish men seem to do so much better with foreigners than Irish women do, you're overweight and undesirable because you choose to be! Great!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ireland definitely has an obesity problem. When I was a kid in primary school back in the 80s, there was one or maybe two fat kids per class. Now the amount of overweight children is very noticable.

And I don't really think it's down to diet: we ate crisps, sweets, drank fizzy drinks, went to chippers and McDonalds etc. But one thing my generation were that kids these days are much less so is active - we played out on the street, in fields behind our estate, went round the area on our bikes and so forth. A hell of a lot of calories were burned off playing outside our houses.

My mum was always telling me that it was a lovely day and to get out of her hair and play outside.:pac: That was the way it was for my generation. Of course we were told not to talk to strangers or get into their cars if asked but generally we were allowed to be out and about in the fresh air.

Parents these days are so paranoid about child abduction that they don't allow their children out to play - people build bigger walls and gates around their houses and it's very sad. And children are paying for this paranoia by being far less active and that's why they are piling on the pounds.:(

Another thing I've noticed is that there seems to be way more overweight - and especially grossly overweight - adults in rural areas as opposed to the cities. I suspect this has to do with these places being very car-dependent and less scope for excercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Is that why so many of them cut loose when they arrive here?

Ah so that's why Irish men seem to do so much better with foreigners than Irish women do

They do? Stats not anecdotes please, kthxbai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Very true.

It's almost a given in Ireland that when you get old you get fat, for both men and women. In Canada its the completely different, people look after themselfs.

If I seen a regular over 35 in the gym in Ireland it was very unusual, in Canada its the norm

Dudess wrote: »

Ok Smart arse, there are waayyyy more fat women than fat men in Ireland!

Happy? Yeah you are.

Also, women should stay in the kitchen, be seen and not heard and wear what I tell them to lest I take my belt to their behind!

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Is that why so many of them cut loose when they arrive here?

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, my radar being on the blink ;) but see my earlier post in the thread about encounting a fair few overweight EE in the last while.

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Very true.

It's almost a given in Ireland that when you get old you get fat, for both men and women. In Canada its the completely different, people look after themselfs.

If I seen a regular over 35 in the gym in Ireland it was very unusual, in Canada its the norm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/Anglosphere_2007_overweight_rate.png

a lot of countries would role out the red carpet for irish men but that it is not the case with irish women.
    I don't think Eviltwin's comment is fair or helpful, but on what do you base either?

I still don't see this massive epidemic of overweight and obesity in Ireland - overweight people are still the minority from what I can see. And high-intensity exercise has become very popular in recent years here.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, my radar being on the blink ;) but see my earlier post in the thread about encounting a fair few overweight EE in the last while.

Not sarcastic, they seem as "prone" to being overweight as Irish women. Generally they seem more "thickly" built to begin with so can get away with the first bit of weight as well.

I don't think Eviltwin's comment is fair or helpful, but on what do you base either?

I still don't see this massive epidemic of overweight and obesity in Ireland - overweight people are still the minority from what I can see. And high-intensity exercise has become very popular in recent years here.

It was a joke...should have put a smiley face at the end of it.

Not sarcastic, they seem as "prone" to being overweight as Irish women. Generally they seem more "thickly" built to begin with so can get away with the first bit of weight as well.

I think being in Ireland would affect their weight like anyone else. Crappy damp weather, way too much space given over in shops to junk food, lots of takeaways everywhere.

Tonto86 wrote: »
    You probably mean over-50.

Ok Smart arse, there are waayyyy more fat women than fat men in Ireland!

Happy? Yeah you are.

Also, women should stay in the kitchen, be seen and not heard and wear what I tell them to lest I take my belt to their behind!
    Raar!

I'd say fatness is pretty much equal between the sexes.

So what do we do about it then? And at what point does someone over step the line between being an okay weight and an unacceptable one?

Or maybe the OP just has a problem with bigger women not being ashamed of themselves ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Damn well proved me wrong!

Canada's a big place, maybe its just the city I'm in but there is a lot less fat people here!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement