Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stockholm on a backpackers budget

Options
  • 07-04-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna be in Stockholm next month for a couple days and looking to see as much as possible without breaking the bank. I know this might be difficult because from everything I've read about Stockholm it is extremely expensive!

I have a hostel sorted so no help needed there, I'm hoping you guys can give me some tips on the other aspects of my trip :)

Public Transport : Is it worth buying a 72hr pass for bus/metro to get around? I hear Stockholm is quite small and the sites aren't too spread out.

Free/Cheap Walking Tours : I did a free/tips based walking tour when I was in Budapest and it was a great and inexpensive way to see the city, has anyone done any similar tours in Stockholm they can recommend.

Tourist Sights : I don't want to spend a fortune paying admissions fees to museums and the likes so I'll probably pick 2 or 3 to visit. Is there any major sites in Stockholm I should really avoid? I hear the Nobel museum isn't really worth it.

Bars : I'm not going the Sweden for the booze but I wouldn't mind a few pints after a day of sightseeing. Is it really €9 a pint everywhere?!? Do they have happy-hour over there or any reasonably priced pubs that anyone can recommend?

Food : I'm not looking to eat out in any fancy restaurants, but is pub grub reasonable? Any tips on good food markets I should visit.

I know that's a lot of questions but any help would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Transport: depends where your accom is. We were staying just outside of the city so just got individual tickets there and back most days, wasn't worth getting a day ticket. One thing though, they almost always have a ticket-checker on the train so be on the ball about having a valid one.

Tourist sights: I actually quite liked the Nobel Museum. There was a Marie-Curie exhibit there at the time which added to it a good deal. Also went to the Armoury Museum (royal weapons, costumes, carriages) which was quite interesting. Went to the Skansen too, a lot of it was closed for winter but most of the animals were there and the bears had come out of hibernation early so it was fun. Went the Nordiska Museet just outside of Skansen. The building itself was very impressive but the exhibits were a little hit and miss. Natural History Museum was good enough, packed with kids though because of the dinosaur exhibit.

Bars: Honestly, the cheapest drinks we could find (in a bar) were about 8e.

Can't really help with the rest, didn't do a walking tour and we ate near our accom, in Alvsjo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,305 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Would recommend the Vasa museum
    www.vasamuseet.se/en/
    Massive viking ship, sank about a mile into it's maiden voyage, recovered 300 years later.
    There are also a couple of good museums just south of Gamla Stan ("Slussen") but I can't find them and can't remember the name.

I vaguely remembe having a nice meal and a drink in O'Leary's (yeah, I know, I know!) at the train station. There's a few of them, might be worth checking out.

A WORD ABOUT DRINKING!!
    The cans in the supermarkets are only 3.5%!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭lc180

Big thanks for the tips, I am definitely going to look up some of the sights you mentioned. The Vasa museum is top of my list for Stockholm, Skansen looks like a bit of fun too, Thanks!

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I vaguely remembe having a nice meal and a drink in O'Leary's (yeah, I know, I know!)

hah this made me laugh! I'm not a fan of 'Irish' bars but I always make sure to pop into one in every city for a quick pint, just to judge it and see if its anyway Irish.

Anyone else got any tips! Cheers folks

Advertisement