Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly rod advice

Options
  • 07-04-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi lads,

First time posting here, be gentle.

Looking to get back into fly fishing for short evening excursions to the local river and have been promised a fly rod for my birthday.

I like the look of the Trion XT range price-wise and a local shop has them in #4 and #6, just can't decide which would be most suitable.

I used to fish 'down and across' wets with a 6-8 ages ago and like the idea of going down to a #4 for having a crack at some dry fly fishing along with nymphs and spiders.

But then the #6 appeals to me for sea trout and occasional stockie-bashing...

So I suppose the question is - what's the ideal line weight for a general river rod - river being mostly not too wide, and wadeable, with tree-lined banks.

I know somebody is going to say a #5....

Feel like I have to re-learn a lot, been a good while since I picked up a fly rod but driving over a certain bridge every night on the way home from work has got me to thinking that 'little and often' might be a good idea when it comes to squeezing fishing time from family responsibilities.

Thanks in advance,

Rocky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 OnTheGame

Anyone any advise or opinions? Same situation myself! Thinkin of greys gs2 #5 9ft

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rockyb23

FWIW I went in the end with a Shakespeare Trion #5, 8 1/2 feet

Only used it the once and my casting is pretty rusty, but I thought it a nice rod for very little money (£37.95 online).

I looked at the Greys but the Trion was a small bit cheaper, that's about all that was in it for me - you wouldn't go wrong with the Greys, that's for sure. All of the info I looked at recommended a #5 of between 8 and 9ft for river work.

My thinking was that if I ever needed a rod for sea trout or lakes, another Trion in a #6 or #7 wouldn't break the bank.

Advertisement