Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to unlock phone myself? (O2)

Options
  • 07-04-2012 4:58pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

I have a Sony Xperia Play on the o2 network and I am sick to death of their awful customer service and rates, so I want to unlock my phone and move networks. How can I do this myself? If someone in a chinese shop can do it for €15, surely they are using a method I could use myself?

Would it be a software change only, or is surgery required?

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Go to www.fastgsm.com. Search for your phone. If its there, there should be an option to unlock it via usb cable. That way usually costs $10.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Google it and see if its available for that phone, it is just a code you put in. I have done this several times on old dumbphones for people who were waiting on their own to be fixed and it does work fine but those phones were worth next to nothing so no risk involved. In saying that I doubt the phone companies are doing something dramatically different to the free method. I have no idea if smartphones allow it or if the codes are available for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Google it and see if its available for that phone, it is just a code you put in. I have done this several times on old dumbphones for people who were waiting on their own to be fixed and it does work fine but those phones were worth next to nothing so no risk involved. In saying that I doubt the phone companies are doing something dramatically different to the free method. I have no idea if smartphones allow it or if the codes are available for them.

When they buy the branded phone they get the code, or can retrieve it later. I believe sites like the above work off cracking the algorithm for that phone and using its IMEI to gen a code.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Andy!! wrote: »
    I have a Sony Xperia Play on the o2 network and I am sick to death of their awful customer service and rates, so I want to unlock my phone and move networks. How can I do this myself? If someone in a chinese shop can do it for €15, surely they are using a method I could use myself?

Would it be a software change only, or is surgery required?

Thanks in Advance.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1034371

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    rai555 wrote: »

Thanks :) Is this the only way to do it? Is this how it will be done if I bring it into a chinese shop? I hear hacking the bootloader invalidates all warranties.

• Advertisement

Apparently my bootloader cannot be unlocked :( What do I do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

You can get your phones unlock code from O2 if you have bought over €150 worth of credit. Just fill out this form and they'll email it to you. It can take about a week but it should work.

Hey thanks that's great! Will try it now.

• Site Banned Posts: 8 emmett123

codes are the best way to unlock your phone yourself. get the codes either from your service provider or from other online providers like Superunlockcodes.com

Apparently I never registered my phone so even though I've spent god knows how much on credit over the years for my number, they won't give me the code.

God I f**king hate o2. Can't wait for them to go bankrupt for treating their customers like **** and overpricing at every turn like companies like GAME and Peats have recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

emmett123 wrote: »
    codes are the best way to unlock your phone yourself. get the codes either from your service provider or from other online providers like Superunlockcodes.com

Expensive !!!!!! Fastgsm is only $19.99 to unlock, down from $49.99.

Advertisement