Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner bike gs500 vs cbr250

• 07-04-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Starting my search for a learner legal bike in Sydney. Finding it tough to decide between a cbr250 and gs500e

I do have a real soft spot for the old vfr400 but not an option for a learner licence down here and RVFs are making more than id like to spend.

Anyone run these bikes and have any feedback on living with them both as daily drivers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I have a GS500. Used it for a year and really enjoyed it. I had to get a new valve put into the engine and a new shim. It also takes about a cup of oil every month. Other than that no other issues.

I find it's very comfortable and mechanically simple.

The cbr250 is more of a sports bike position. I personally find that uncomfortable after a while. Not something I want to hop onto every day. I put a top box on my GS500 and it takes side paniers easily. I just wish it had a fairing and a more powerful engine. I have since moved onto a Fazer 600. I won't ever sell my GS500 though!

It's unfair to compare the GS500 to a Fazer. So I won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I personally would go for the cbr250rr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Any bike with an R in it wil cost you LOTS on insurance, that is if you can get a quote on it.
    Start off on a bike that will not cost much to fix when you let it fall, and is not too dear on insurance cost.
    When you get more experience on the roads, you will know what type of bike would be best suited to your needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Any bike with an R in it wil cost you LOTS on insurance, that is if you can get a quote on it.
    Start off on a bike that will not cost much to fix when you let it fall, and is not too dear on insurance cost.
    When you get more experience on the roads, you will know what type of bike would be best suited to your needs.

I'm in Sydney and my insurance for the year on both bikes is 300$ AUS fully comp. There appears to be no real difference.

I'm still leaning towards the 500 for the comfort. Hard as iv never driven either bike.

Ill start looking at bikes next weekend seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

CBR250!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

CBR!!

NNNnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

CBR250 without a doubt! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

CBR!!

NNNnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! LOL

They do actually sound like that. I had the use of a CBR250RR before and it was great fun. Top speed 190kph and you felt like you were doing the Moto GP just taking it to the shops :D

KTRIC wrote: »
    They do actually sound like that. I had the use of a CBR250RR before and it was great fun. Top speed 190kph and you felt like you were doing the Moto GP just taking it to the shops :D

My neighbours will love that. Id like to do a little exploring so its really looking like the 500 rather than screaming around everywhere at 10,000 rpm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The GS will be a much more practical bike than the CBR for general usage.
    Its a twin as well as being a bigger engine, this translates into more torque and a more usable spread of power than the pretty sports orientated CBR.
    The seat on the CBR will kill your arse much sooner than the GS.
    For general usage the GS would be my choice.

• Advertisement

Advertisement