Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to become a legal secretary

• 07-04-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hello,

I have done a board search as well as a google search but cant come up with a definite answer!

I have always wanted to have a career in law but am not sure I could actually study to become a solicitor/ barrister as I am not really book smart!!

I am currently studying a business degree and have looked at legal secretary courses but the only one I can really find is pitman which is expensive and also havnt got the reviews!

What is the best way to get into this position?

Thank you in advance for any answers :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Legal Secretary is more secretary than legal I'm afraid.

There is no requirement for a formal qualification to call yourself a legal secretary, but if you have no other secretarial experience then a course would probably help (or at least couldn't hurt).

Are you thinking more of a legal executive, which is a different thing?

Careers in law are very difficult and while I wouldn't want to dissuade someone from entering an industry of their choice, if you're not prepared to work hard then you should really look elsewhere for employment as there are few soft passes in most law firms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

cj2007 wrote: »
    Hello,

What is the best way to get into this position?

Thank you in advance for any answers :-)

The three most important qualities in a legal secretary are:
    1. Typing Speed.
    2. Typing Speed.
    3. Typing Speed.

Work on those. Some basic computer skills and possibly bookkeeping also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cj2007

Are you thinking more of a legal executive, which is a different thing?

Yes I was aware that is different but to be honest I am not 100% sure of the difference...

Really I am looking to get a career! I am 23 and just at a loss at what to do with my life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

LOL 23 OMG come back in ten years if you still haven't figured it out! :P

In all honesty you dont have to be particually smart to get a law degree - just willing to do shed loads of reading. The degree is one of the better general ones - esp. combined with business so no harm in bumming around for 4 years getting one even if you don't then do one of the traditional law careers.

LOL 23 OMG come back in ten years if you still haven't figured it out! :P

Ha I know but I am starting to panic!!

I really cant face another 4 years in college! I did look at the DIT conversion course but I am hoping to maybe do an evening course in LLM and work during the day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Evening courses at law are reasonable, as you'd be in a class with a wide variety of age sets and life experiences who together act as aid to understanding the law course.

Im not sure what kind of night course to do...would it be a good idea to do a diploma in a certain aspect of law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

A diploma in law would be good or else a course targeted more toward becoming a legal secretary like this one: http://www.rathminescollege.ie//courses.php?id=15

Check all the colleges that are around and check their course guide, they usually do basic law courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Being a legal secretary is an extremely difficult job. Requires wordprocessing skills, energy, and a cheerful can-do attitude

You need

1..the memory of an elephant to find files and bits of paper last seen years ago

2. the tact of a diplomat to deal with people who have major problems requiring urgent solutions - and that's just the bosses. Clients will also require urgent attention.

3. the abilty to handle incoming phone calls which would tax the combined skills of a psychiatrist, lawyer, accountant, and father confessor

4. the multi-tasking skills to get a complicated set of documents ready in time for a deadline, post or DX while coping with a last minute change, a photocopier breakdown, and an actual breakdown on the phone by someone the practice is suing ( and even sometimes a further breakdown by your boss ).

5. The ability to find the DX guy on his last stop before he leaves the area so that the last minute item can be got off.

6. When your boss leaves for court in the morning, the cop-on to spot that (s)he had left an urgent file behind, and to get it to him/her

7 the clairvoyance to know who your boss wishes to see, and those for whom he is still "at court"

imho the legal system could not function without these heroic legal secretaries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

Typing speed may be severely impacted by having to decipher incomprehensible handwriting. I suggest that lawyers (and anyone else who requires a secretary) provide prospective candidates with a sample of their handwriting at interview to determine if the arrangement would be workable early on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement