Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would the tyre profile make THAT much of a difference?

• 07-04-2012 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭

I've been using Michelin Pilot Road 2 for the last three years on the bike. I love them, great tyre. Last week, a buddy of mine gave me a pair of Bridgestone BT-003r for nothing so I got them put on the other day. The rear as standard is a 190 50 17 but the tyre I got put on is a 190 55 17. There is about a mm or two clearance between the tyre and the hugger now, but it seems ok. To anyone's knowledge, will this cause any problems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is 10mm of a difference between the two tyre profiles.
    55% of 190 = 85.5
    50% of 190 = 95
    It will raise your gearing but more importantly at speed the tyre will grow due to centrifugal force, just be sure that the clearance is enough at high speed so the tyre doesn't touch the hugger and cause a blowout, which would be a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

CJhaughey wrote: »
    There is 10mm of a difference between the two tyre profiles.
    55% of 190 = 85.5
    50% of 190 = 95
    It will raise your gearing but more importantly at speed the tyre will grow due to centrifugal force, just be sure that the clearance is enough at high speed so the tyre doesn't touch the hugger and cause a blowout, which would be a bad thing.

Jaysus, I never even thought of that. I may just have to take the hugger off, or see is there some way of raising it off the tyre. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

can scrub off the swingarm too, depending on the bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Wossack wrote: »
    Wrong tyre for the bike if it's doing that though...

Wossack wrote: »

Nah, it's not even close. A 190 came off and a 190 back on, it's only the profile that's different. I'll be out and about tomorrow so I'll have a better chance to see.

• Advertisement

Just an update on this. The tyres are fantastic as tyres go. Nice quick turn in, grippy too. BUT....absolutely no good in cold or damp conditions which I found out the hard way, but then again, they ARE a racing tyre.

As for clearance etc, it is REALLY close to the rear hugger, but nothing rubbing thankfully.

Cheers for comments etc.

Advertisement