Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Controlling boyfriends/girlfriends

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

where are her parents in all this?

ff sakes

Sorry for the reply both parents are dead unfortunatly. She lost them at an early age and she has no brothers or sisters :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 232 ✭✭LilyCricket

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Sorry for the reply both parents are dead unfortunatly. She lost them at an early age and she has no brothers or sisters :(

That is awful, God love her. :(

I can't believe the amount of people saying that to let yourself be controlled makes you an idiot.

It's called being CONTROLLED for a reason. You have no control over it yourself.

It's also not an insecurity thing. In my experience of being controlled, and from what I've seen of it happening to people I know, the person starts off being pretty popular, loud, sociable, and it's almost like it's those very qualities about them that makes their boyfriend jealous. I'm sure plenty of insecure people get controlled, but I really think it's ridiculous that some people here are blaming the person who slowly gets broken down into a scared wreck.

The controller, however, is most definitely insecure. And idiotic, and at fault. Not the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I've known a few guys like that, controlling their girlfriends with intensity. But then when they are alone with just the guys they talk about other girls they know and "giving them one"

Thing about it is they think theyre entitled to act that way because the ego of guys like that are so bloated.
    It made me so sick at one point that i started making excuses not to associate with them

I can't believe the amount of people saying that to let yourself be controlled makes you an idiot.

It's called being CONTROLLED for a reason. You have no control over it yourself.

It's also not an insecurity thing. In my experience of being controlled, and from what I've seen of it happening to people I know, the person starts off being pretty popular, loud, sociable, and it's almost like it's those very qualities about them that makes their boyfriend jealous. I'm sure plenty of insecure people get controlled, but I really think it's ridiculous that some people here are blaming the person who slowly gets broken down into a scared wreck.

The controller, however, is most definitely insecure. And idiotic, and at fault. Not the other way round.

Spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Your friend is one silly girl.
    She will realise in the future that she made a big mistake.
    I have friends like that to extremely annoying but there no telling someone when they are in "love"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dudess wrote: »
    While there's nothing wrong with expressing concern to your partner if they're getting very overweight and to encourage them to live more healthily, that guy was just being a bullying, humiliating dick. If she was so huge, she was likely heavy when they met anyway, and hung up about it - jackpot to someone who likes to control and belittle.

Unless he'd had to go through hours of her whinging about her size. I'd be pissed off at that stage of she ordered a foot long. Of course he could be a bacstard. But I don't know enough so I'm not going to judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

People will say **** like that annoys me ect because we're all here on the internet and pretending to very open about things and all that crap when really a lot of are very right wing nut jobs in real life (I'm not saying everyone but definitely most)
    The truth is though you have to rule a partner with an iron first or else they stray, it's just human nature. Perhaps we just love them too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

People will say **** like that annoys me ect because we're all here on the internet and pretending to very open about things and all that crap when really a lot of are very right wing nut jobs in real life (I'm not saying everyone but definitely most)
    The truth is though you have to rule a partner with an iron first or else they stray, it's just human nature. Perhaps we just love them too much.

Isn't that what most abusers say,? I'm doing this because I love you so much.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Teddy I hope you are kidding here

Nah I know you are.

You are, ya?

Answer me!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

One of the smartest girls in my college

Negative.

Isn't that what most abusers say,? I'm doing this because I love you so much.........
    only in the soaps and that though I think.
    I'm just putting the other side of the argument out there. I don't always agree with myself.
    For the record I'm (Teddy) an absolute gent and would/have never hit a woman even after several occasion women have been smacking the face off me.
    Besides you can do a lot more damage mentally as well If you know what you're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

I had a gf that dident want me to talk to my mate and his gf (a fat ugly bird) becouse my mate and his gf, wanted to know everything. I broke up with my gf as it wasent fair on her. I then stopped talking to my mate and his gf. I told them I moved to canada. :D

Nah I know you are.

You are, ya?

Answer me!!!!!
    I remember a lot of people right here on boards actually saying they'd hit a woman if she hit them first. Not Teddy. I was surprised by the amount of people will to actually hit a woman right here on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Nah I know you are.

You are, ya?

Answer me!!!!!
    I remember a lot of people right here on boards actually saying they'd hit a woman if she hit them first. Not Teddy. I was surprised by the amount of people will to actually hit a woman right here on the internet.

Id hit a woman in the uterus but NEVER on the internet. :D

• Advertisement

I remember that thread, shocking bunch of hard men in AH.

Agreed with you, but if you ever take as much time to respond to my post again, I will bitch slap you off this thread and home. You are constantly talking to strangers and you know this is not allowed.

I remember that thread, shocking bunch of hard men in AH.

Agreed with you, but if you ever take as much time to respond to my post again, I will bitch slap you off this thread and home. You are constantly talking to strangers and you know this is not allowed.
    ..and still, I wouldn't hit you back:)

see what I did there?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

It wasn't until I was peering out the window at her throwing my dart board in the skip that I realised things had gone too far. When she came back in and up the stairs I had it out with her and told her enough was enough and how I was going to my own man from now on. That I needed her permission for nothing. That I wasn't going to be a push over no more and that she should find herself another door mat if that's what she wanted but she seemed pretty pissed off with that and refused to uncuff me. I think she got the message though, kinda.

You have said a lot there

Very insightful

..and still, I wouldn't hit you back:)

see what I did there?:P

Do not back chat me!!

• Advertisement

You have said a lot there

Very insightful

It is quite insightful alright.
    I am honestly shocked that he wrote that considering he is such a pushover IRL.

Internet alter-ego at play.

It wasn't until I was peering out the window at her throwing my dart board in the skip that I realised things had gone too far. When she came back in and up the stairs I had it out with her and told her enough was enough and how I was going to my own man from now on. That I needed her permission for nothing. That I wasn't going to be a push over no more and that she should find herself another door mat if that's what she wanted but she seemed pretty pissed off with that and refused to uncuff me. I think she got the message though, kinda.

Did you ever get the dart board back?

Worse than that...

only in the soaps and that though I think.
    I'm just putting the other side of the argument out there. I don't always agree with myself.
    For the record I'm (Teddy) an absolute gent and would/have never hit a woman even after several occasion women have been smacking the face off me.
    Besides you can do a lot more damage mentally as well If you know what you're doing.

You do not have to, abuse is more than just physical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Your friend is one silly girl.
    She will realise in the future that she made a big mistake.
    I have friends like that to extremely annoying but there no telling someone when they are in "love"

Its really annoying. Even hearing her speak is disturbing. She thinks her only destiny in life is to marry him. I would seriously love to knock him out!

Its really annoying. Even hearing her speak is disturbing. She thinks her only destiny in life is to marry him. I would seriously love to knock him out!

Do it, or at the very least pull him on it while she is present. It might be the catalyst for her seeing him for what he really is.

You do not have to, abuse is more than just physical.
    I alluded to that in my post!

What? Are we friends in real life?
    What languages do I speak...:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Every second one of the girlfriends I've had over the years has told me a story of being controlled by a previous boyfriend, usually their first serious one, he's usually a few years older, and usually not highly successful with women his own age. It's all too common.
    One of my female friends, - not an ex of mine, describes herself as having had 6 years of her life 'stolen' from her. I know the guy, and when she finally got the courage to give him the heave-ho, he just moved on to another much younger version of her, to whom he's done exactly the same thing. Married now I believe, - isn't her life fun don't ya think......
    At age 36, I had a woman try that crap with me, and tbh if I was 20 to 25, it might have worked, as it was it took me 6 months to work out what she was doing, and why we were constantly quarreling despite me trying my best not to.
    Those b*stards, male and female deserve eternity alone, but they rarely get it unfortunately.:mad:

What? Are we friends in real life?
    What languages do I speak...:cool:

Not telling :P

You blouse you. (hint)

Yes?

And do you think that is OK? Mentally abusing someone?

• Advertisement

Not telling :P

You blouse you. (hint)
    If you can name the language I speak I'll believe you other than that I'm calling BS:D:p

Yes?

And do you think that is OK? Mentally abusing someone?
    Well, no.
    But people are probably do it sub consciously all the time.
    It's not as black and white as a storyline in a soap now is it.

If you can name the language I speak I'll believe you other than that I'm calling BS:D:p

And ruin my fun, no way.

And ruin my fun, no way.
    Dies ist nicht die wahrheit:P

Well, no.
    But people are probably do it sub consciously all the time.
    It's not as black and white as a storyline in a soap now is it.

Ruling someone with an iron fist, because if you don't they will stray

sounds like a soap plot to me

Dies ist nicht die wahrheit:P

I know, nothing is true on the internet.:)

I know, nothing is true on the internet.:)
    I might not even be a real person. Just a program running here on boards to generate more chat. A badly written program however. :p

I might not even be a real person. Just a program running here on boards to generate more chat. A badly written program however. :p

With your views on this particular topic, I hope not.

That would mean you have no soul :eek:

I think you've misunderstood where I was coming from on this matter tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I know a few - male and female. It's easy to say they're idiots but you don't know 'til you're caught up in that situation. I love how the badmouthing here isn't directed at the controller but at their target.

I agree but I'd say the reason is because it's so obvious that someone who controls someone like that is a bastard. I don't have strong feelings for either of them because they are concepts to me but they have a symbiotic relationship, both with equal self esteem issues. The only difference is that one seeks to control and the other seeks to be controlled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

There's no need for that. His tongue is firmly in his cheek. He's a very well meaning guy from what I see of him on boards, and he has a sense of humor as do we all I hope.
    You're a bit new hear by your post count so welcome to AH. Expect a lot of stupid comments. You'll be able to tell the idiots from the rest in short time but for the record Teddy seems an OK sort. And OK is so not an endorsement! But really I think you're grabbing the wrong end of the stick there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Grayson wrote: »
    While there's nothing wrong with expressing concern to your partner if they're getting very overweight and to encourage them to live more healthily, that guy was just being a bullying, humiliating dick. If she was so huge, she was likely heavy when they met anyway, and hung up about it - jackpot to someone who likes to control and belittle.

Unless he'd had to go through hours of her whinging about her size. I'd be pissed off at that stage of she ordered a foot long. Of course he could be a bacstard. But I don't know enough so I'm not going to judge.
    Still no excuse for humiliating her in public though.

Shryke wrote: »
    There's no need for that. His tongue is firmly in his cheek. He's a very well meaning guy from what I see of him on boards, and he has a sense of humor as do we all I hope.
    You're a bit new hear by your post count so welcome to AH. Expect a lot of stupid comments. You'll be able to tell the idiots from the rest in short time but for the record Teddy seems an OK sort. And OK is so not an endorsement! But really I think you're grabbing the wrong end of the stick there.
    Ah, now I feel bad :o

When I say things like "maybe we love them too much" it's not by accident.
    Of course I'm not condoning any form of abuse be it physical or mental.
    But I'm just pointing out that people aren't going to come one here and say they are all for controlling their other half.
    These people probably don't realise they're doing it to be fair.
    People won't just say they are all for it unless they're doing a spot of trolling.
    It would be like having a thread asking is stealing right. We all know the answer to what's being asked so you're ending up with a thread with people all in agreement.

I was seriously surprised though on that other thread about how many people said they'd hit a woman if she hit him first. Bit of a shocker that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I was disgusted by that other thread. I actually really hated AH for a bit. I know there's sound people on these forums but that was so out of order.
    It comes up a bit but sometimes I have to wonder if some people on here ever leave the house or talk to other people with the way they carry on. And then of course there's always the question of whether it's trolling. But even when it is I have to wonder if that kind of stuff is coming from somewhere.
    Sure, trolling can be a laugh but ffs I would hope that people have enough sense as to know when to do it. Because it's the internet doesn't mean that you can or should act like a tool all the time, you just won't get punched in the face or ostracized if you do.
    Having said that 99% of what comes along is just a bit of fun and I enjoy a laugh. Why am I ranting anyway? God knows why I'm posting this either. *drinks wine*

Shryke wrote: »
    I was disgusted by that other thread. I actually really hated AH for a bit. I know there's sound people on these forums but that was so out of order.
    It comes up a bit but sometimes I have to wonder if some people on here ever leave the house or talk to other people with the way they carry on. And then of course there's always the question of whether it's trolling. But even when it is I have to wonder if that kind of stuff is coming from somewhere.
    Sure, trolling can be a laugh but ffs I would hope that people have enough sense as to know when to do it. Because it's the internet doesn't mean that you can or should act like a tool all the time, you just won't get punched in the face or ostracized if you do.
    Having said that 99% of what comes along is just a bit of fun and I enjoy a laugh. Why am I ranting anyway? God knows why I'm posting this either. *drinks wine*
    You're right.

If something you're reading online is a bit suspect you should just dismiss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What other thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Dont know anyone but was in Subway one day and there was a couple in front of me, guy behind the the counter asks the girl what she wants, she says 'il have a footlong', bf butts in angrily 'no she'll only have a six inch' he whispers her something, gf apologises to him then continues on ordering.

Maybe he was trying to keep her romantic expectations realistic...

What other thread?
    I forget what the thread was exactly but a lot of guys were saying they'd punch a woman if she hit him first. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ooops wrong thread.

Confab wrote: »
    People are ostracized on Boards - just look at what happened to Flutt. Proper order too.
    What do you mean look what happened to Flutt?

• Advertisement
Advertisement