Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing credit card

Options
  • 07-04-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

Xbl gold ran out the other day. So I signed up to the 3 month for €8 on the dashboard. Had to add my credit card details when doing so. I went to the account section on Xbox.com and tried to removed my credit card, but it is asking me for another one instead. How do I remove it completely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Xbl gold ran out the other day. So I signed up to the 3 month for €8 on the dashboard. Had to add my credit card details when doing so. I went to the account section on Xbox.com and tried to removed my credit card, but it is asking me for another one instead. How do I remove it completely?

Pretty sure you have to ring customer service to get it removed completely. Might be an option through your windows live on the PC.

You'll get the number to call hear http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/call-us

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Pretty sure you have to ring customer service to get it removed completely. Might be an option through your windows live on the PC.

You'll get the number to call hear http://support.xbox.com/en-IE/call-us

I was reading here that you can do it through your account section on Xbox.com. But can't find the thread. I'll give them a ring if all else fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Go to www.xbox.com and sign in, then My Account, then Manage Billing Options (bottom left in green) and you can remove it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You can't remove your card when you have an auto-renewal on the account because they need something to bill for your next renewal. Won't be able to remove it even after turning off the renewal.

Edit: Should have added that their support team will remove it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

You can't remove your card when you have an auto-renewal on the account because they need something to bill for your next renewal. Won't be able to remove it even after turning off the renewal.

Edit: Should have added that their support team will remove it for you.

Grand thanks. Do I have to wait until my renewal is coming up before removing the card or can I remove it now and keep using the subscription that I got?

• Advertisement

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Grand thanks. Do I have to wait until my renewal is coming up before removing the card or can I remove it now and keep using the subscription that I got?

There is no time limit. They'll take it off as soon as you call and give you codes in lieu of the time on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Bulmers on Ice

Removing the credit card can't be done online. You have to ring support.
    The reason for this? When you use a credit card at any point on the life of the account your credit card information is stored and connected to the account. The xbox live subscription is then connected to it and even if you renew a subscription with prepaid cards etc it is still going to be connected to your live account.
    I used a credit card 5 years ago when I first got the xbox to get my live subscription. Since then I've purchased all my renewal subscription and points with codes purchased elsewhere online because it is cheaper.
    My account was hit with the fifa hack earlier this year and when it was sorted out the old credit card detail was still connected to it. I didn't even have that credit card anymore. I couldn't remove the card via the xbox or microsoft websites. I had to phone and they confirmed that you can only do it via phone. When I asked to have it removed they said yeah that can be done but they cancel whatever time is remaining on your live subscription, then they remove the card and when that is done they allocate whatever subscription time you had left and your account no longer shows any credit card details.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kinikie

Yep, can remove via web, did it myself a few weeks ago when I got a free 12 month card from vodafone@home

I'm thinking it must be what you do at the very start determines what happens, I am thinking out loud really.
    My first live account had a credit card connected to it, and I think it might then become part of the security settings for the account like the secret question stuff. Maybe that is why I had to phone in and accounts had to cancel my remaining subscription and add it back on when the credit card was removed rather than just been able to do it online which I just could not do despite loads of attempts and trying different ways.
    Maybe if you don't have a credit card connected on your first live subscription then you can remove the credit card details because it is not treated as part of the security.
    Seems like some can and some can't remove it.

As I said before, you cannot remove all credit cards from your account if you have purchased the gold subscription with a CC. You have to leave one on for them to bill. All Gold subs bought with a CC are set up to auto-renew. Even if you cancel the AR on the website, it is still recognised as a renewing account, even though it won't renew, meaning that you still cannot remove your card until the gold runs out. If you stack a PPC on top of an existing subscription purchased with a CC, it will still recognise the fact that it is set up to renew and will not allow you to remove your card. Basically, the account has to be completely cancelled to remove your card. This is why MS give you PPCs in lieu of the time remaining on your account. You can add and remove your CC at will if you have a subscription by prepaid card, as it is never set to renew.

• Advertisement

As I said before, you cannot remove all credit cards from your account if you have purchased the gold subscription with a CC. You have to leave one on for them to bill. All Gold subs bought with a CC are set up to auto-renew. Even if you cancel the AR on the website, it is still recognised as a renewing account, even though it won't renew, meaning that you still cannot remove your card until the gold runs out. If you stack a PPC on top of an existing subscription purchased with a CC, it will still recognise the fact that it is set up to renew and will not allow you to remove your card. Basically, the account has to be completely cancelled to remove your card. This is why MS give you PPCs in lieu of the time remaining on your account. You can add and remove your CC at will if you have a subscription by prepaid card, as it is never set to renew.

Tha's what I said, my account many years ago was set to auto renew using a credit card. You have to phone xbox (not via a website) to remove the credit card used at that time as it is stored on your account to cancel the remainder of the subscription, they remove the credit card details and then reinstate the balance on the subscription.

Advertisement