Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourists beware!!!!

Options
  • 07-04-2012 8:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

God help us if we are hoping to attract tourism via our water ways in Longford as has been much vaunted of late.
    I packed up my family and a picnic and arranged to meet a friend and her two kids over at the harbour and picnic area in Abbeyshrule. I made this decision from seeing a photo of it and it looked nice.
    On pulling in to a (fully legal)parking space at the harbour a gentleman (psycho) from a house at the rear of The Rustic Inn appeared and gave out to me for not being perfectly inside the white box... I did a little manouvering and try as i could i couldnt get my average sized car perfectly into the space as it was a smaller than usual parking space. The guy stood eyeballing me so after trying to placate him politely i suggested that he f*uk off.
    We set up at the picnic table and over he comes telling us that we cannot have a picnic (at the picnic table in a picnic area) as there are no bins and he is sick of cleaning up after "The likes of us". I assured him that we would leave no rubbish. Then Horror of Horrors!! My friend arrived and attempted to drop off her kids before searching for a space to park and the guy went ballistic and went off to get the guards!. Naturally the guards didnt show but the nutter spent the entire time (three hours!;)) stood at his gate glaring at us.
    What the F is going on? Imagine if we were easily intimidated or foreign tourists.
    Phew. i feel better now. i just hope a convoy of travellers park near this guy for a month and give him something to worry about

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 wasislos

alterior motives...any goodlooking women around? theres ur answer bahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 40 damo244

If you think hes a nutter don"t go into the town where a shop shareing its name with a famous pint of the black stuff,i had friends visit me last summer for the first time in longford and brought them into the town and they went into this shop to buy some gifts only to be accused of comeing to shoplift needless to say my friends son is disabled and in a wheelchair and his father is a retired garda,so we left while he was ranting on about how my friends son was a decoy for us to steal god bless any tourists going in.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

It's a real pity that there always seems to be a 'resident nutjob' to deter people around these parts.

Longfordians... a great bunch of lads:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

That's a real pity that your day was ruined OP - I'm in that area and in and around the canal regularly and have never come across that guy but upon asking it turns out that apparently he's well known for being a little "off-centre". I usually park around the front of the rustic and never get any comments around that side if that's any good to you. It's a pity to put ppl off enjoying the lovely little area that is abbeyshrule just because of one odd person but I understand why it would! Canal is fab and there are picnic tables up at the drynan bridge in Ballymahon and out at Brannigan as well if you're looking for alternatives :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

_Lady_ wrote: »
    That's a real pity that your day was ruined OP - I'm in that area and in and around the canal regularly and have never come across that guy but upon asking it turns out that apparently he's well known for being a little "off-centre". I usually park around the front of the rustic and never get any comments around that side if that's any good to you. It's a pity to put ppl off enjoying the lovely little area that is abbeyshrule just because of one odd person but I understand why it would! Canal is fab and there are picnic tables up at the drynan bridge in Ballymahon and out at Brannigan as well if you're looking for alternatives :)

Oh but it didnt ruin my day:D. I enjoyed it in an odd way. Spent the day getting the kids to count the security cameras and lights on the guys house and waving at them. Im going back there ASAP on my motor bike to really freak him out.

• Advertisement

Hope your a member of a bike club organise a day out down their make sure theres a few harleys love the noise they make ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Had the same experience before. We parked at the side just to have a quick walk around the canal and take a few photos, then he came out and started yelling because we parked outside his house. When we moved the car he went inside and got a camera and starting recording us....very weird old man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

God help us if we are hoping to attract tourism via our water ways in Longford as has been much vaunted of late.
    I packed up my family and a picnic and arranged to meet a friend and her two kids over at the harbour and picnic area in Abbeyshrule. I made this decision from seeing a photo of it and it looked nice.
    On pulling in to a (fully legal)parking space at the harbour a gentleman (psycho) from a house at the rear of The Rustic Inn appeared and gave out to me for not being perfectly inside the white box... I did a little manouvering and try as i could i couldnt get my average sized car perfectly into the space as it was a smaller than usual parking space. The guy stood eyeballing me so after trying to placate him politely i suggested that he f*uk off.
    We set up at the picnic table and over he comes telling us that we cannot have a picnic (at the picnic table in a picnic area) as there are no bins and he is sick of cleaning up after "The likes of us". I assured him that we would leave no rubbish. Then Horror of Horrors!! My friend arrived and attempted to drop off her kids before searching for a space to park and the guy went ballistic and went off to get the guards!. Naturally the guards didnt show but the nutter spent the entire time (three hours!;)) stood at his gate glaring at us.
    What the F is going on? Imagine if we were easily intimidated or foreign tourists.
    Phew. i feel better now. i just hope a convoy of travellers park near this guy for a month and give him something to worry about
    I know exactly the man that your talking about as I do not live too far from there. He's a nutjob OP, known by the people of the local area as being a bit 'touched'. In fact, the small pub beside the Rustic Inn is owned by his family. AFAIK, he actually has some type of mental disorder. But that is no reason to treat people the way he does, if I were in your position I would have contacted the Gardaí myself and let them know about how he was harassing you. I've seen it done before and hopefully it'll happen again so he might finally learn his lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

yeah sure....thats the reason nobody visits longford.....:D *Sarcasm*

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UrbanMonkey

Martin_94 wrote: »
    yeah sure....thats the reason nobody visits longford.....:D *Sarcasm*

Not cool man.. Not cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 feorais

Face it people-Longford has about the worst name of any town in Ireland. That's the main reason that people who live close to, say, the Leitrim / Longford border are glad to tell people that they live in Leitrim. As a matter of interest,they also use a Leitrim address for their mail etc. if at all possible. Unfortunately, the name also has bad connotations for anybody with a Longford address, even in any other part of the county. Personally,if I had a choice I would never have come here many years ago, had I known what I know now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Freddie K

feorais wrote: »
    Face it people-Longford has about the worst name of any town in Ireland. That's the main reason that people who live close to, say, the Leitrim / Longford border are glad to tell people that they live in Leitrim. As a matter of interest,they also use a Leitrim address for their mail etc. if at all possible. Unfortunately, the name also has bad connotations for anybody with a Longford address, even in any other part of the county. Personally,if I had a choice I would never have come here many years ago, had I known what I know now.

I looked at your posting history. You said much the same thing 4 years and 5 months ago. If you hate the place so much, why are you still here after so many years?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭robo

damo244 wrote: »
    If you think hes a nutter don"t go into the town where a shop shareing its name with a famous pint of the black stuff,i had friends visit me last summer for the first time in longford and brought them into the town and they went into this shop to buy some gifts only to be accused of comeing to shoplift needless to say my friends son is disabled and in a wheelchair and his father is a retired garda,so we left while he was ranting on about how my friends son was a decoy for us to steal god bless any tourists going in.:o

LOL I was unfortunate enough to stop by that black stuff shop a few weeks ago - spotted postcards & was passing thru Longford so wanted to get some. Your man tried to charge me €2 for 2 * 0.40cent postcards & then when I gave him €1...he started to talking to me at the door for what felt like ages about drugs in another town etc that I just left without my change...couldn't be bothered standing & listening to him give out any longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

you do know that there's a townland near newtownforbes called leitrim??!
    so they're probably using their real address anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Were you exiled to Longford or are you actually free to leave the county at your leisure?

Your claims are utter hogwash, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

I had this once in England. Parked outside someones house in the street, came out ranting saying that I would be coming back to a damaged car etc. Just turned around and told him that the car was worth f**k all and IF it was damaged just remember I know where you live and see how you would like your house damaged. Soon shut him up.

It is bad for the Tourists though idiots like this on the prowl.

robo wrote: »
    LOL I was unfortunate enough to stop by that black stuff shop a few weeks ago - spotted postcards & was passing thru Longford so wanted to get some. Your man tried to charge me €2 for 2 * 0.40cent postcards & then when I gave him €1...he started to talking to me at the door for what felt like ages about drugs in another town etc that I just left without my change...couldn't be bothered standing & listening to him give out any longer!
    Thats the one alright,my brothers were visiting 2 weeks ago and ventured in i warned them what he was like but they went in anyway,they surfaced a half hour later with one item, cost them €10 which would only cost them €5 a few shops down they paid it to get out of the shop as he would not leave them alone,my younger brother said the smell of booze of him was makeing him sick.:D

Advertisement