Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

schooling a young horse

Options
  • 07-04-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I'm trying to school my 4 year old 14.2hh mare. She is not very forward going and quite opinionated. If I want her to walk over trotting poles she tries to walk backwards to the complete opposite side of the arena. If I continue to ask her to move forward with my legs, she will threaten to rare and even throw a buck. Has anyone dealt with this before? How should I approach this? I don't want to do the old fashioned method of whipping her until she does it because I think that would make her develop a fear of poles. When I'm on the ground with her she will walk over them without any problems but once I mount she backs away. I'm also working on teaching her to come on the bit at the moment, shes fighting that as well. Is there any piece of tack I can get to help her learn this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Okay, this threatening to buck and rear is dangerous, very dangerous. Firstly, get her checked over for any pain, check her tack is fitting, her teeth are up to date, she has no back or limb problems. If you can eliminate pain from the equation, then you know it's her taking the piss, to put it bluntly.
    If it isn't pain, and she can do it without you on her, then you have to get her over them and if that means using the whip, it means using a whip. I don't mean hammering her with it, but a sharp, quick tap as soon as she goes to back off. I don't like using a whip as much as the next person but if it needs to be used, it needs to be used. Don't let a youngster fall into habits such as bucking and rearing, she won't develop a fear of the poles if you use the stick correctly and without abuse.
    Also, do one thing at a time. Don't try to teach her many things at once, it will confuse and frustrate her. Leave the bit work until she is over the poles or leave the poles until she is on the bit. You can try lunging her with side reins to encourage her drop her head but if you're really having difficulty, I would suggest asking someone more experienced for help schooling her. A bad schooling could have awful effects on later life, you'll have your heart broke with habits that are very difficult to get rid off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Has she lunged over poles?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭stargirl!

rather than a few trotting poles, get her used to going over just one pole and build on that slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

As others have mentioned, send her over poles on the lunge and on side reins, which ought to get her moving forward and listening to you from behind.

When on the lunge, I would start her cantering over the poles one at a time, and working her through parallell channels of poles (if you know what I mean? Going through them, not over them). Preferably use the old fashioned, heavy sort of pole if you can. It won't budge if she strikes it.

Ride her over canter poles until she is very comfortable with them, and then begin on some cavaletti or some basic cross poles.

The whip is a very useful aid along with your natural aids, and don't be too shy about using it. It is natural for young horses to resist aspects of their schooling, but a quick snap can awaken your mare and encourage her to act sensibly.

Advertisement