Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song War 2: Master Of Puppets Vs Raining Blood

Options
  • 07-04-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭

Someone in the Bohemian Rhapsody Vs Stairway to Heaven thread, suggested this so I went with it. Which song do you prefer Master of Puppets by Metallica or Raining Blood by Slayer?

Both songs are highly acclaimed and almost perfect in their own way. They were also brought out the same year as well. With Master of Puppets being brought out in March of 1986 and Reign In Blood in October of 86.

Anyway I went it Master of Puppets. While I respect Slayer(Even though i'm not really a fan), and I do think the song is great. It just dosen't beat Master of Puppets for me. It just appeals to me more, and although this dosen't really have much to do with the song, I just think the Master of Puppets album is perfect in every way that it's a bonus for the song itself. But my choice is Master of Puppets.

Which song do you prefer? 56 votes

Master of Puppets
    0% 0 votes
    Raining Blood
    100% 56 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

MoP for me. While I like Rain in Blood, its one dimensional. It has a very dark maniacal atmosphere and it's unrelentingly brutal but MoP has a greater variety of ideas and moods on display, the mellow guitar harmony section is what makes it for me, when you hear it you know you're listening to quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The album is called 'Reign in blood', 'Raining blood' is the last song on it. But never mind. My choice is in favor of Slayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Raining blood is a whopper, those Eb triplets with the kick is probably my favourite riff of all time. Its so simple but effective, even as a short haired man it makes me headbang like a maniac, great album too! That said, master of puppets is flawless, there's so much more going on, like a lot of Metallica songs, there's numerous epic riffs in it, there's such a musical journey in it.

I voted MoP this time. It's a tough call, they're both metal standards, but very different in their execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Lars1916 wrote: »
    The album is called 'Reign in blood', 'Raining blood' is the last song on it. But never mind. My choice is in favor of Slayer

Cool, I stand corrected, I wouldn't be much of a Slayer fan in any case although the typo is down to spelling carelessness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Raining Blood, easy. I've never been a Metallica fan, while Slayer is the only one of the Big Four I would listen to on an even close to regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Agree with Denny on this one. Slayer all the way. While they're both amazing songs I feel like Raining just kicks its ass technically. I mean c'mon! Even for the intro alone...DUN DUN DUN......DUN DUN DUN.......DUN DUN DUN.......DUN DUN DUN.....WEH WEH WEH WEH WEHWEHWEH WEH WEH WEH.....bdbdbdbbddbdbdbdbdbdbdddbdbdbdddbdbdb (that's the double bass). Fantastic.

EDIT: Too many votes for Metallica for my liking.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

Master...Master......

Just not that much of a Slayer fan.

Tarkus wrote: »
    Master...Master......

Just not that much of a Slayer fan.

Bu....bu....bu......but they're so much better! Aw this is why opinion sucks. :pac:

Of course I kid. I can see that Metallica would be the most common 'gateway' and therefore 'safe' band to the lighter heavy metal. But Slayer just have the raw power and catharsis that death metal has. It's awesome. Still like Metallica, but if you were to put a gun to my head I'd still say Raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

chin_grin wrote: »
    Bu....bu....bu......but they're so much better! Aw this is why opinion sucks. :pac:

:p
    Of course I kid. I can see that Metallica would be the most common 'gateway' and therefore 'safe' band to the lighter heavy metal. But Slayer just have the raw power and catharsis that death metal has. It's awesome. Still like Metallica, but if you were to put a gun to my head I'd still say Raining.
    Was born & bred on the likes of Sabbath. When Slayer came out, I appreciated their 'raw power' but was never really won over. Props for what they bring to the table, just in smaller doses.

Metallica is just more palatable to an old goof like me... ;)

Tarkus, can't argue with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Tarkus wrote: »
    :p

Was born & bred on the likes of Sabbath. When Slayer came out, I appreciated their 'raw power' but was never really won over. Props for what they bring to the table, just in smaller doses.

Metallica is just more palatable to an old goof like me... ;)

Ah well, I'm 42 next month, and I still love 'Reign in Blood', it's one of my all time faves. Which doesn't mean, MoP is bad, but I like 'Ride the lightning' a little bit more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I went for MoP for pretty much all the reasons nyarlothothep mentioned. It's just a more intricate song.

And I woulda went with Angel of Death from Reign in Blood. I'd consider it the best song on the album by far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Master of puppets is a much better standalone song imo, and I would consider myself more a Slayer fan then a 'Tallica fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Tough call . . . . went with Master in the end just because there are more parts, more going in it, the slow part with the dual guitars has always been a favourite of mine. RiB is still class though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Wow looks like it's becoming a landslide for Master of Puppets. In the other thread, the poll is at a draw. But it took a while for Stairway to Heaven to catch up so i'll give this one some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Should this not be album wars rather than song wars?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

breffni666 wrote: »
    Should this not be album wars rather than song wars?

Nah I prefer song wars better. But by all means, nothing is stopping anyone else from making an album wars thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

I chose Master of Puppets. I love both bands but as a song Puppets is pretty near flawless!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Agree with Denny on this one. Slayer all the way. While they're both amazing songs I feel like Raining just kicks its ass technically. I mean c'mon! Even for the intro alone...DUN DUN DUN......DUN DUN DUN.......DUN DUN DUN.......DUN DUN DUN.....WEH WEH WEH WEH WEHWEHWEH WEH WEH WEH.....bdbdbdbbddbdbdbdbdbdbdddbdbdbdddbdbdb (that's the double bass). Fantastic.

Might surprise a few people but i agree completely. Despite MOP being my favourite album of all time,i absolutely love RIB the song(and album too).

The intro is one of the most atmospheric and iconic in metal. It's the song i often use when i want to introduce people to the music i listen to. I just want to go mental every time i hear the song tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

lord lucan wrote: »
    Might surprise a few people but i agree completely. Despite MOP being my favourite album of all time,i absolutely love RIB the song(and album too).

The intro is one of the most atmospheric and iconic in metal. It's the song i often use when i want to introduce people to the music i listen to. I just want to go mental every time i hear the song tbh.
    One of the forum's resident metallica fanboys not picking them in a poll? Obvo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

having picked myself up off the floor after seeing lord lucan's vote i have to agree,

hairs on the back of the neck stuff from slayer.

(suggestion for future: holy wars punishment due versus anything on the black album)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This is an easy choice for me. I'm not a fan of Slayer so my second favourite song off my second favourite Metallica album gets the vote.

Malice wrote: »
    This is an easy choice for me. I'm not a fan of Slayer so my second favourite song off my second favourite Metallica album gets the vote.

:eek:

But you're a mod...........of the Rock&Metal forum! :pac:

SLAAAAAAAAAAYERRRRR!

"Alright, it's still 1981. Go!" "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH". Brilliant.

:eek:

But you're a mod...........of the Rock&Metal forum! :pac:
    There's plenty of rock & metal bands that I don't like but for Slayer in particular I just find their stuff sounds very dated, the vocals are awful, the lyrics seem clichéd and I just completely fail to see what the fuss is about. Admittedly if I'd gotten into them as a kid maybe I'd see them differently because I do hear the resemblance between Reign in Blood and Metallica's albums that were released around the same time but where Metallica's albums are classics because I've been listening to them on and off for over twenty years, Slayer stuff just doesn't do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Raining blood

• Registered Users Posts: 27 colon

^^^the good auld blinkered Metallica heads of old. Raining Blood to tear the flesh from your face any day

colon wrote: »
    ^^^the good auld blinkered Metallica heads of old. Raining Blood to tear the flesh from your face any day

I don't really agree with the first sentence. The second one though. Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Gotta be slayer for me...

Master of puppets is just too...pondering. Raining Blood is to the point and doesn't let up at all.

Plus I ****in hate the riff from MOP.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Plus I ****in hate the riff from MOP.
    Which one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Malice wrote: »
    Which one?

The Main One... I cannot stand it. I am not even sure why it annoys me... it just does.

Advertisement