Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song War 2: Master Of Puppets Vs Raining Blood

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The Main One... I cannot stand it. I am not even sure why it annoys me... it just does.

Blasphemer!

If I recall, it was I who suggested the pairing of these two songs.
    I voted for Slayer and I shall tell you why! It is probably the only song/album that I actually 'get' belonging to them. The blistering speed of the drumming and the constand use of the whammy bar by King just bores me. Anyone with a little bit of talent can be fast, it's just practice! I dont think groove and general funky-ness can be taught it's just in you or it isn't.

I find Slayer to be very pretentious and forced. Rain in Blood is the only song I find enjoyable belonging to them. Therefore in this poll I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt this time eventhough Master is one of my favourites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

My votes for Master of puppets no contest. Raining blood has a class intro thats about it, master of puppets is a class song from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Master Of Puppets is a grand wee song, but, in my opinion, Raining Blood destroys it in more ways than one. Greater atmosphere, better riffs, class speed and just a savage sound to it. On top of the fact it sounds far more brutal and skull crushing than MOP. Master Of Puppets is like a lot of Metallica stuff I think, like it was mention before, they're Metal Light, I don't get any sort of mood from it, the sound is a bit of a null and their stuff can be quite boring with regards sound. Plus I find Hetfield's voice irritating at the best of times. Slayer are just class.

Not taking anything away from MOP as a song or an album, there are better Metallica songs though.

Nailz wrote: »
    Slayer are just class.

If I could pick your brain if possible, could you elaborate on this please, as I am baffled? What is it I'm not seeing/hearing?:confused:

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I went for Raining Blood,only just mind.

Both are two different tracks,both are exceptional but RB just edges it for me.Everytime I hear the opening I literally get shivers down my spine.MoP,while a fantastic track,is a little over long imo.

Still and all,very hard to separate em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Slayer are just class.

If I could pick your brain if possible, could you elaborate on this please, as I am baffled? What is it I'm not seeing/hearing?:confused:

Cheers!

If I was to chime in, what I love about them is they make little effort to be melodic, it's pretty much "fu@k you" from start to finish. I can see why people say they appeal more to teenagers, but I didn't really get into them until I was 23, when I gave seasons in the abyss album a proper listen, and I've been hooked since. Everything's just blistering fast, and you get the impression that if you don't like it, they don't care. That they've had the pleasure in one of the best drummers around in Dave Lombardo on board definitely helps. But its that attitude their music has, it's anti-establishment to the very core, singing about Satan and hell over chromatic riffs and double kick drums, it just feels like they're trying to please no one and loving it. Also, I think the video to seasons in the abyss is one of the coolest I've ever seen, slayer + pyramids = epic.

Cheers!
    T'is grand. Well, I quite simply love the sound, the speed, the total power and the atmosphere created in the music. Like in the track "Seasons In The Abyss", as mentioned before, the atmosphere created in the whole build up to the song right up to the highly sped up riffage involved in the middle, it's just an excellent sounding song too. That's what it's like for most of Slayer's song in my opinion.

But, in fairness, I shouldn't have even answered your question, I wouldn't ask you why you like whatever stuff you like just because I wouldn't understand why you like it. It's a daft question. There's probably a lot of stuff that I like that you wouldn't, but I'd like to think that I can at least understand why you enjoy music that you like. It's on a par with a person who listens to "whatever's on the radio" asking a person who likes Metal or Improv Jazz or Avant Garde why they like it because they find it unpleasant to listen to.

it's anti-establishment to the very core.

Aren't the members of slayer not married? and they were married in churches? Singing about satan isn't badass. Satan isn't real!
    T'is grand. Well, I quite simply love the sound, the speed, the total power and the atmosphere created in the music. Like in the track "Seasons In The Abyss", as mentioned before, the atmosphere created in the whole build up to the song right up to the highly sped up riffage involved in the middle, it's just an excellent sounding song too. That's what it's like for most of Slayer's song in my opinion.

But, in fairness, I shouldn't have even answered your question, I wouldn't ask you why you like whatever stuff you like just because I wouldn't understand why you like it. It's a daft question. There's probably a lot of stuff that I like that you wouldn't, but I'd like to think that I can at least understand why you enjoy music that you like. It's on a par with a person who listens to "whatever's on the radio" asking a person who likes Metal or Improv Jazz or Avant Garde why they like it because they find it unpleasant to listen to.

A daft question? I hardly think so, many others in this thread share my confusion as to why this band is revered by so many!
    Thanks for your opinion on the matter all the same.
    "There's probably a lot of stuff that I like that you wouldn't", that's a little premature for you to say!
    I never said it was unpleasant to listen too either, just that I dont buy into the hype surrounding the band Slayer!

A daft question? I hardly think so, many others in this thread share my confusion as to why this band is revered by so many!
    That's quite alright, that very well maybe the case, I know that Malice isn't a big fan of Slayer in such a sense either, but I think such a question is unnecessary, whatever the answer may be, it is only really relevant to the person who is answering it, it's up to the person inquiring to make their own minds up on why a band or film or author could appeal to others.
    Thanks for your opinion on the matter all the same.
    "There's probably a lot of stuff that I like that you wouldn't", that's a little premature for you to say!
    I never said it was unpleasant to listen too either, just that I dont buy into the hype surrounding the band Slayer!
    I never implied that you found Slayer unpleasant, if you read back I only used that as an example of what people say about metal in general. And with regards to saying that I probably like things that you wouldn't; I stand by that, because it's probably true. Don't take me wrong when I say that, I don't expect to like everything that you like either. You may like someone like Audioslave, Trivium or Joy Division (not saying you do), where as I definitely don't. I'm a big Avant Garde/Experimental fan, I don't expect anyone to like that if I'm honest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I think the real question is; what shall we do for Song War 3?

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

... one edging the other out is one thing, but 3 to one, seriously? no wonder ive not bn over here in a fair ould while :/ prog noodlers will always prefer tallikur to slayer regardless. The climactic majesty of the ultimate in ceremonial bloodletting, gazoomped

That's quite alright, that very well maybe the case, I know that Malice isn't a big fan of Slayer in such a sense either, but I think such a question is unnecessary, whatever the answer may be, it is only really relevant to the person who is answering it, it's up to the person inquiring to make their own minds up on why a band or film or author could appeal to others.

I never implied that you found Slayer unpleasant, if you read back I only used that as an example of what people say about metal in general. And with regards to saying that I probably like things that you wouldn't; I stand by that, because it's probably true. Don't take me wrong when I say that, I don't expect to like everything that you like either. You may like someone like Audioslave, Trivium or Joy Division (not saying you do), where as I definitely don't. I'm a big Avant Garde/Experimental fan, I don't expect anyone to like that if I'm honest.

Point taken, however I did ask for your opinion and you gave it, so therefore it couldn't of been that daft:D

I am also aware of Avant Garde and as with most genres of music, I like some and I dislike some also! I'm friends with a very high calibre bass player in Cork and he's forever putting me in touch with some mad stuff I'd never of came across myself, Richard Bona and Robben Ford being two i'm very impressed with lately (they're more 'free jazz' than AG but you get the picture!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I'd take up puppets over RB, but the fact that I've seen Metallica live but not Slayer plays a part in that. Saying that though if it had been AoD nominated things would have different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I love Slayer more than any band in the world and just can't get enough of their songs. I really do love MoP too but Raining Blood is much better for me.

I am very biased though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Too great songs that shouldn't be separated at all, yet I chose Raining Blood, because Master of Puppets seemed (for me anyway) to have the most vocal support on this thread and the competition between these too should be tighter then what I'm seeing here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Two completely different but totally intense songs. One is short & brutal, the other is complex and meandering, but no less brutal.

Advertisement